LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:55 AM

I didn't realize it is taboo to talk price on here. 

It's not, never happened. Mr. Dun is too nice for that to happen.

I've seen Wheel Horses like that condition for maybe $1000 - 1200 with a deck. 

. . . and I've seen a lot of them wait for a very long time to sell. Folks go on eBay and see crazy list prices and go APE S**T!!!, telling themselves they can get some real money. Just because they're listed for that don't mean it sold.

People!!! We're just poor country folk who buy old mowers for scrap price and tinker with them up 'cuz we can't afford hotrods. When this hobby get's too ridiculous, we'll start customizing washing machines.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 6 others have said thanks

#17 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • Member No: 58420
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:05 PM

That's great! So true! I used to do hot rods, wife quit job and 2 little ones later I'm now into tractors like the rest of you! Thanks

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:13 PM

It's not, never happened. Mr. Dun is too nice for that to happen.

I've seen Wheel Horses like that condition for maybe $1000 - 1200 with a deck. 

. . . and I've seen a lot of them wait for a very long time to sell. Folks go on eBay and see crazy list prices and go APE S**T!!!, telling themselves they can get some real money. Just because they're listed for that don't mean it sold.

People!!! We're just poor country folk who buy old mowers for scrap price and tinker with them up 'cuz we can't afford hotrods. When this hobby get's too ridiculous, we'll start customizing washing machines.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better!!

I have actually wondered if there aren't some that list up GT's and GT parts with high prices JUST to inflate the market prices... especially on ebay.

When price/value discussions become taboo on here I'll stop hanging around.

• LilysDad said thank you

#19 smokestack76 OFFLINE  

smokestack76
  • Member No: 39328
  • 83 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Being new here i was afraid i would step on toes. But you guys backed me up. I think i found my new home. You couldnt ask for a better group of people than here. You guys make this place what it is. So thank you!
  • LilysDad said thank you

#20 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 01:42 PM

As said before, worth what you want to pay. I too won't give a dollar value on the tractor, but I will give you somethings to think about. The tractor itself looks to be in nice shape, however, I would question as to why there is a bucket sitting under the frame, just under the motor. What is leaking? I also see that the starter/generator belt cover is missing. Is this included with the sale, or must you find your own to complete the tractor? If for you to find, will you be able to match the paint of the tractor? Nine times out of ten, if the starter/generator belt cover is missing, then the PTO cover on the other side of the motor is missing as well. If it's there, Great! If not, you'll need to find one and right now they are salty, price wise. The concrete under the tractor, just below the transmission is discolored. Could this be from the transmission leaking, or a possible axle seal leaking? Hopefully it's from something other than the tractor, but still worth checking into. I also took notice that the head heat shield is missing from the top of the motor. Once again, is it included with the sale, or must you find your own? If not included, be sure that the engine identification spec tag is located on the engine blower housing. John Deere placed these tags either on the head shield or the blower housing. For a '65 model year, I believe the i.d. tag would have been on the head shield. 

As for the price? Since you say it's being listed as being restored, and for the price that is being asked, then all I have to say is, everything should be done right. In my opinion, there is restored, and then there is refurbished. Since restored is being mentioned, then there shouldn't be any cracks in the steering wheel, the steering wheel cap should be new, the tractor should have new belts, a new battery installed with new cables, new or decent wiring harness, a new key switch, solenoid, and voltage regulator have been installed, new decals (no painted around decals) new or decent ball joints, both the engine and transmission have both been gone through and all problems fixed, no wobble or looseness in the axle hubs, the variable speed works like it should, both the choke and throttle cables work without sticking, all springs have been replaced with new, and all cracks in the fiberglass hood have been professionally repaired. All of these things should have been taken care of, as this is the only way I can justify for the asking or selling price. I have restored numerous round fender 110's and 112's, and believe me, I know what it takes to get one restored correctly and how much money is involved. One of the reasons I got away from restoring tractors for others is due to the fact that most people don't want to pay the price for what you have in it. It was to the point that I was only able to get enough money to cover the cost of the parts, decals, and paint. When you aren't able to cover for your time, then it's time to get out of the business.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted. Hopefully you'll have enough information provided to you to make the correct decision. We may not be able to answer all of the questions as accurately as we'd like, but we sure will give our best assumption or advice. 

• KennyP, HDWildBill, hdg4400 and 3 others have said thanks

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:03 PM

I'm not a John Deere expert by any stretch, but in my opinion, based upon location & buyer, that tractor with restored deck would go anywhere from $1000 to $1400 if also in perfect operating condition as well.  It looks very nicely done.

• KennyP said thank you

#22 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:12 PM

You guys are great!  That is what I needed to know.  What to look for, what pieces should be there, and a fair value.  Looks like I can get it for $1,000.00 so I think that seems fair now.  I appreciate all of your advice!

• johndeereelfman and Sawdust have said thanks

#23 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:35 PM

Are these some of the parts it's missing? He also has belts, blades, ect. For the deck

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Indygbd1, June 19, 2014 - 02:46 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:36 PM

I'm not a JD fan but like mentioned if you like it, want it, got the money then you should already have it. I would give him $1200. for it but first ask him $1000. after pointing out all the missing parts. Let us know what you done with more pics.  :thumbs:

#25 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:38 PM

You guys are great!  That is what I needed to know.  What to look for, what pieces should be there, and a fair value.  Looks like I can get it for $1,000.00 so I think that seems fair now.  I appreciate all of your advice!

Wow I was right on! Good deal

#26 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:48 PM

It is true about the buy it cheap and use it mindset here.  And I am one of them that happens to like the odd/uncommon Deere tractors that I can afford.  If it floats your boat then enjoy it.  That is exactly my mindset when I built my 120 over two years and then put it right to work mowing my lawn.   :smilewink:

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Are these some of the parts it's missing? He also has belts, blades, ect. For the deck

The first picture shows the head heat shield, a shifter quadrant, hood stop bracket, and what appears to be a new, variator spring. Not sure what all the new in the bag parts are, but it's a good sign that the tractor was done right!

The picture of the mower deck seems to be a complete deck from what I can tell. Looks like everything is there. I'm assuming this picture was taken before he was finished painting, since it appears to be two different shades of yellow?

The third picture shows the starter/generator guard, the PTO drive, the motor drive belt, I'm assuming an extra steering wheel and seat spring? Not sure if this is the same steering wheel and seat spring before he had everything painted and reassembled. 

Although it looks good, and appears to be done right, I'd still make sure the transmission and motor are up to snuff. Both of these items can be very pricey to fix or replace. 

• KennyP, Trav1s and Indygbd1 have said thanks

#28 Indygbd1 OFFLINE  

Indygbd1
  • 42 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Here are two videos of the tractor running.

Attached Files

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:36 PM

Sorry if I came across as if I had a burr under my saddle or anything, it's just that so often exactly what was mentioned with google searches happen or we diligently answer the question to the best of our ability and then see it on CL two weeks later at 500 more than that.

I suppose things like that will always happen and always have.
As for my second message, I was hoping that more guys would at least send you a PM with some ideas than just not reply at all.
Hate to see someone ask a question and get no responses...

Anyways, sounds like you got a fair deal (again, I am the wrong guy to ask... That color green is one shade I can't afford :D )
Glad you're getting a nice, well done tractor.
  • KennyP, twostep and Indygbd1 have said thanks

#30 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Can anyone tell him the difference in price for a H3?