29 replies to this topic

#16 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 09:50 PM

I guess I saved it from being scrapped.  I will try and find a new home for it.  I need all the room I have for Rototiller brand equipment.

• trowel said thank you

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for saving it from the scrapper, it looks to be in very good condition, i would like to see this restored.

You have three different types of vators for it which is also a very nice find, many people that use these ''one wheel wonder'' are usually very surprised on the pushing power it has, for a small garden it were it excels.

Just to be sure, can't see clearly in the picture, the two bolts holding the handle bars to the frame, are they bolts or studs ?

On the right handle bars, is there two holes for the throttle cable, one up by the two small holes the throttle lever bolted too and one on the bottom by the frame ?

• earthgrinder said thank you

#18 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for saving it from the scrapper, it looks to be in very good condition, i would like to see this restored.

You have three different types of vators for it which is also a very nice find, many people that use these ''one wheel wonder'' are usually very surprised on the pushing power it has, for a small garden it were it excels.

Just to be sure, can't see clearly in the picture, the two bolts holding the handle bars to the frame, are they bolts or studs ?

On the right handle bars, is there two holes for the throttle cable, one up by the two small holes the throttle lever bolted too and one on the bottom by the frame ?

The throttle cable goes through the right handlebar.  Look real close on the 3rd photo and you can see it exiting the handlebar.  For attaching the handlebars, they are actually setscrews with locknuts.

As far as restored, that will be up to someone else.  Hopefully I can find a home for it.  I thought about getting it in working order, but the engine is not right and would take a little rigging and another belt to make it work.  Two of the 'vators are the same, just configured differently.

Edited by earthgrinder, June 22, 2014 - 02:48 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 02:51 PM

The throttle cable goes through the right handlebar.  For attaching the handlebars, they are actually setscrews with locknuts.

Interesting,...set screw, that is were the remote fuel tank bracket bolted to, you know, yours must be right when the remote fuel tank was dropped but still using the Galvanized handle bars with the cable.

Lodge and Shiply changed the Rotary Spaders at least 3 time in 51, i will dig a bit deeper, there has to be others out there that know a bit more about dating the Choremasters.

#20 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 03:54 PM

I will get you some closeup photos.

• trowel said thank you

#21 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Throw up some pictures, Choremaster never used Lausons but the similarities to a Clinton are very close.

Look for the 4 tiny holes for the ID tag.

Choremasters are very hard to date even though it was only made for a short time and the tractor basicly stayed the same.

Does your tractor have the remote fuel tank or engine mounted ?

Here are 4 pics of the engine that came with the first Choremaster that I bought.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01336.JPG
  • DSC01337.JPG
  • DSC01338.JPG
  • DSC01339.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#22 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Here are some photos of my Choremaster.  I took the photos with the engine just setting on the motor base.  I know it was not the engine that was on there.  The throttle cable seems too short and the "kickstand" lever hits the gas tank.

attachicon.gif100_6198 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gif100_6199 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gif100_6200 (Medium).jpg

Here are a few pics of my first Choremaster. The motor is not original but I believe the Gas tank and Mounting Bracket for it are.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00902.JPG
  • DSC00903.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:31 PM

That's a early Clinton 700A with the knurled oil dipstick plug and Scintilla mag, correct for early Chormaster with the remote fuel tank.

Here are 4 pics of the engine that came with the first Choremaster that I bought.

Edited by trowel, June 22, 2014 - 07:31 PM.

• Traill95 said thank you

#24 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Here are a few pics of my first Choremaster. The motor is not original but I believe the Gas tank and Mounting Bracket for it are.

If that's the Choremaster the Clinton early 700A came off of it is correct for that tractor.

She's a little peach, came out so nice, the lighter green gives it a soft look.

• Traill95 said thank you

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Crap, i mixed the model numbers, gets me every frigging time !!!! not the 700A, that's the first Clinton engine in 1946, i meant the model A700, sheesh :wallbanging:

Sorry about that.

Edited by trowel, June 22, 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#26 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:47 PM

After looking at the posted photos of the gas tank mount, I suppose mine could have had that tank.  That bracket would not need much bolt sticking out.  I get some closeups of the bolts and throttle cable tomorrow.

• trowel said thank you

#27 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Here are a few closeups of the handlebars.  I see the remains of the galvanize coating that Trowel was referring to. 

100_6203 (Medium).jpg 100_6205 (Medium).jpg 100_6206 (Medium).jpg

• trowel said thank you

#28 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 08:18 PM

I want to say yours did not have the remote fuel tank but at least we know which model engine it had.

Do you have plans on rebuilding this Choremaster ?

#29 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 08:37 PM

I want to say yours did not have the remote fuel tank but at least we know which model engine it had.

Ummmmm........ It's in the classifieds at a real good price.

#30 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Sorry to say, no.  Too many Rototiller projects and hardly any room at all left for some future Rototiller NOS pieces.  I am hoping someone will take it.  If it would help I could bring it to Rough & Tumble in August for pick up.