29 replies to this topic

#1 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 859 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:29 PM

Would someone please post a photo of where the model is on a Choremaster one-wheeled garden tractor.  I just acquired one and I think it has a replacement engine.  According to the numbers on the B&S engine it was made in September 1959, which from what I have learned is several years after production stopped.  I looked all around the right side where the cover plate for the transmission is and cannot find a model.

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Most Choremasters ran a special Clinton with Choremaster tags.

Ben W.

• earthgrinder and trowel have said thanks

#3 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 05:22 PM

I have one each of Briggs and Clinton powered Choremaster tractors. I looked them over pretty close today and can't find any model numbers on either one. Did you download the Choremaster info in the manuals section?....Dave

#4 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have 4 of these and they all came with Briggs engines on them . I am pretty sure they are supposed to have Clintons on them. The first one I ever bought came with a Briggs engine on it but also came with the original (Lauson) engine in a basket, which is actually a Clinton engine I believe. I still have that motor and will look to see if there is a tag on it.

#5 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 859 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 08:09 PM

I have one each of Briggs and Clinton powered Choremaster tractors. I looked them over pretty close today and can't find any model numbers on either one. Did you download the Choremaster info in the manuals section?....Dave

Yes, I downloaded the manuals on this site (2).  The manual says the model is near the Choremaster name.  Could be there was a plate that is now gone.  The only writing is on the side cover for the transmission.  Near the back on the right side is what I think is a serial number, but no model.

Edited by earthgrinder, June 19, 2014 - 08:09 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#6 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:56 PM

I was reading through the brochures I downloaded for the Choremaster. An early one states that they came with either a Briggs or a Clinton 1 1/2 HP engine and should have come with the appropriate engine manual from the dealer. A later brochure states they now came in  three models; the A being 1 HP; the B being 2 HP and the C being 3 HP. From that info I am presuming that the earlier ones had no model designation and the later ones could be told apart by the engine horsepower. Not sure if that is correct but it is what I read in the literature.....Dave

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:22 AM

I have 4 of these and they all came with Briggs engines on them . I am pretty sure they are supposed to have Clintons on them. The first one I ever bought came with a Briggs engine on it but also came with the original (Lauson) engine in a basket, which is actually a Clinton engine I believe. I still have that motor and will look to see if there is a tag on it.

Throw up some pictures, Choremaster never used Lausons but the similarities to a Clinton are very close.

Yes, I downloaded the manuals on this site (2).  The manual says the model is near the Choremaster name.  Could be there was a plate that is now gone.  The only writing is on the side cover for the transmission.  Near the back on the right side is what I think is a serial number, but no model.

Look for the 4 tiny holes for the ID tag.

Choremasters are very hard to date even though it was only made for a short time and the tractor basicly stayed the same.

Does your tractor have the remote fuel tank or engine mounted ?

Edited by trowel, June 20, 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:25 AM

Most Choremasters ran a special Clinton with Choremaster tags.

Ben W.

Not all from what i could find, some of the firsts had the tag and Zenith carbs, it seems about the time when they started using Briggs at the end of production it was dropped.

• superaben said thank you

#9 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Throw up some pictures, Choremaster never used Lausons but the similarities to a Clinton are very close.

Look for the 4 tiny holes for the ID tag.

Choremasters are very hard to date even though it was only made for a short time and the tractor basicly stayed the same.

Does your tractor have the remote fuel tank or engine mounted ?

Here are a couple of pic  from last year when I got them home. I will take some closer pics later on.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01054.JPG
  • DSC01056.JPG

• earthgrinder, trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:46 AM

Ah, good looking line up you got there, throw up some pictures of the basket case Clinton engine.

Yeah, the ones with the Briggs 5S/6S engines are replacements, don't recall Choremaster ever using those but at the end of production it could of been.

Edited by trowel, June 20, 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 06:03 AM

I don't know the whole line up of Choremaster but due to the Clinton engines and David Bradley's rebranding of Lodge & Shipley's Rotary Spaders i might be able to narrow down some of the models.

#12 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 859 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:08 PM

I will take some photos tomorrow of what I got.  Hopefully it will help.  I am reasonably sure the engine is wrong.  It was made in 1959.  It does not look like it ever had an engine with the tank mounted separately like I have seen some.  The studs that hold the handlebars in the casting are not long enough.

Edited by earthgrinder, June 20, 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 05:55 AM

I will take some photos tomorrow of what I got.  Hopefully it will help.  I am reasonably sure the engine is wrong.  It was made in 1959.  It does not look like it ever had an engine with the tank mounted separately like I have seen some.  The studs that hold the handlebars in the casting are not long enough.

What i do know is that Choremaster only used the remote mounted tank in the early years, different tires were used later on and they excluded hot dipping the handle bars, painted it green and stopped running the throttle cable through the handle bars and just used cable clamps.

This coincides with the Rotary Spaders which had the same handle bars.

Edited by trowel, June 21, 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#14 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 859 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Here are some photos of my Choremaster.  I took the photos with the engine just setting on the motor base.  I know it was not the engine that was on there.  The throttle cable seems too short and the "kickstand" lever hits the gas tank.

100_6198 (Medium).jpg 100_6199 (Medium).jpg 100_6200 (Medium).jpg

• trowel and d410 have said thanks

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Yep, chuck that engine onto something else that needs a Briggs, that Chormaster took the late A700 to B1100 series Clinton engine.

I see some of the old hot dipped galvanization left on the left bottom of the handle bars but no evidence of remot fuel tank bracket so it must be mid-year production.

Edited by trowel, June 21, 2014 - 08:38 PM.

• earthgrinder said thank you