• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VICHARRIS ONLINE  

VICHARRIS

• Member No: 1381
  • 50 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Has there been any real success, in improving the existing tractor head lights on the 1980'S JD 318 series tractor?

I am working on my 316 JD engine hood. The previous owner manage to break the hood in several places. Including, in shattering the three light shells at their blub attachments. So I manage to find a set of small slender halogen fog ligths at our local CT auto parts store. They are same height as the plastic lens covering. I have started the project by cutting the damage shells out, for the fog lamp fitting. They will be potted in with JB marine epoxy. I am planning to finish the set up. By triming the plastic lens to fit between the fog lights and the sides. Hoping the lights will end up being as bright or better then my MF 1650 lights when finished.

Pictures to follow soon.

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:30 PM

There are some LED'S out that will fit but I have not tried a set yet

• VICHARRIS said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 05:22 AM

The LED solution will work and there are generic replacements for the bulb # which is 1156 or 1157 if I remember right. I have tried them and they really aren't much brighter but give a whiter light and draw way less current. You can also look for a brighter LED replacement from a company that specializes in LEDs. I haven't looked lately but I know that LED prices are coming down. If you clean/polish the plastic lens and re paint the silver coating if it's dull that will help with light levels but the narrow 3 bulb setup just doesn't seem as effective as a pair of plain old sealed beams.

• VICHARRIS said thank you

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:36 AM

There not that bright when i had the 317 i always wanted to build a light bracket to put auxiliary lights on it

• VICHARRIS and JDBrian have said thanks

#5 VICHARRIS ONLINE  

VICHARRIS

• Member No: 1381
  • 50 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Has there been any real success, in improving the existing tractor head lights on the 1980'S JD 318 series tractor?

I am working on my 316 JD engine hood. The previous owner manage to break the hood in several places. Including, in shattering the three light shells at their blub attachments. So I manage to find a set of small slender halogen fog ligths at our local CT auto parts store. They are same height as the plastic lens covering. I have started the project by cutting the damage shells out, for the fog lamp fitting. They will be potted in with JB marine epoxy. I am planning to finish the set up. By triming the plastic lens to fit between the fog lights and the sides. Hoping the lights will end up being as bright or better then my MF 1650 lights when finished.

Pictures to follow soon.

I have finished the project, Since the hood that came with the tractor was missing the light electrical harness. And two of the lens were damaged where the bulbs inserted. I decided to try the automotive fog lights approach. They are bright, and further reaching then the MF 1650 headlights. The pictures are not the best, but here they are.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0034.JPG
  • DSCF0039.JPG
  • DSCF0041.JPG
  • DSCF0042.JPG
  • DSCF0045.JPG

Edited by VICHARRIS, June 30, 2014 - 07:44 PM.