• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brubor2005 OFFLINE  

brubor2005
  • Member No: 58991
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:58 AM

While mowing yesterday my steering suddenly gave out.  I am now able to turn the steering wheel continuously in either direction without the front wheels following.  The steering shaft is turning but the connecting arm on the left side does not track.  I think the steering box/gear has stripped out.

Is it possible to make an adjustment to the steering box to tighten it back up, or does it need to be replaced or repaired?  What do I need to remove to get to the steering box?  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 10:22 AM

I have no idea on that one. I am sure one of the green cultists will be along shortly to help.

Welcome to GTT

#3 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 10:28 AM

brubor2005:

Welcome to GTTalk. I'll send you a PM (Personal Message) about some info I can send you that should help.

Harlan

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:31 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Which 316 do you have, the earlier Kohler powered single cylinder model or the later twin cylinder one? Either way you should be able to see where the linkage is disconnected. It may not be inside the steering gear but in the linkage that connects the gear to the front wheels.

• Trav1s said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 05:57 PM

Sounds linkage related to me.  Its got to be a pretty simple problem if it happened suddenly.

Ben W.

Edited by superaben, June 18, 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Could also be steering column/box related and that would be my guess since it does not stop.  If you have a Kohler powered 316 I can help with details from the Deere service manual.  

I rebuilt the steering column on my 120 and it was easier than I expected.  The same basic column is used on the 120/140/300/316K tractors - all of which use a center link that connects the box to the steering assembly.  I believe the parts to rebuild the column was less than $50 for the parts from Deere.  I also added a thrust bearing on my to make steering easier.  :-D 

#7 brubor2005 OFFLINE  

brubor2005
  • Member No: 58991
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. Which 316 do you have, the earlier Kohler powered single cylinder model or the later twin cylinder one? Either way you should be able to see where the linkage is disconnected. It may not be inside the steering gear but in the linkage that connects the gear to the front wheels.

The tractor originally came with a 16HP Onan twin when I purchased it in 1983.  I replaced the Onan in 2008 with a 20HP Honda twin.  The steering problem is not with the linkage; that is all intact.  I am actually able to steer it slightly by turn the steering wheel several times in the direction that I want to go in.  Each turn nudges it a little in the direction I'm turning in.  I can feel it slightly grabbing as I turn the wheel.  I think that points to the steering box.

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:38 PM

I am sorry but I am no help on the later machines.  I hope hammerdown can help with this.

#9 danvan54 OFFLINE  

danvan54

• Member No: 4271
  • 20 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hi Brubor- did you get the steering issue figured out?  I had mineon a '84 316 Onan act up last spring.  Where the steering shaft U-joint slides on to the steering box shaft, the spline was worn enough to slip.  I took the shaft and the steering box out and cleaned up the splines up as best I could.  Then I put the U-joint back on to the shaft and replaced the bolt in the U-joint.  It checked out good and tight- I put everything back into the tractor and it is still running great.