Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Ok need some input.I was at a show today and seen a vendor that was selling a waste oil furnace.The one i looked at is a 140,000 BTU and they run around $4000. Now the oil to burn is not a problem but the cost is high.Before i go any further with this does anyone have one.How good are they how much oil do you go thru?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Check with your tax accountant. We got 50% of our $4500 purchase price back through tax credits over about a 3yr period. Sure took the sting out of the initial cash layout. Not sure if the tax credit is still in place, but any tax person could tell you. Ours is a Reznor 150,000btu. It burns 1 1/2 gph if running constantly. In an insulated shop, you would likely cut that at least in half if not more. Had ours about 7yrs at least. Only had to replace the oil pre-heater & a couple sensors, plus a start capacitor for the on-board little air compressor. They sure are nice to have & with tax credits, quite the deal! We clean ours once a year of ash. Member Ducky has one also.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 09:30 PM

The $4K price tag seems a little high, but if it's going in the house, I'd probably consider it. If this is to heat the Garage, I'd probably start building one. there are plans all over the internet, WASTE OIL BURNER for example. (scroll about a page down to see the free, slightly older, plans) & there are a couple of forced air units with plans out there. Now these are smaller units, and for a 140K unit, I'd guess that's not too bad. Geez, Bob, I couldn't be less helpful, could I? :wallbanging:

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 10:27 PM

Ok need some input.I was at a show today and seen a vendor that was selling a waste oil furnace.The one i looked at is a 140,000 BTU and they run around $4000. Now the oil to burn is not a problem but the cost is high.Before i go any further with this does anyone have one.How good are they how much oil do you go thru?

The guy who does my inspections (an old friend of the family) has one and he is very happy with it. I can't say how much oil he uses though. What I do know is that he has several places that collect it for him and he gets it for free! He gets it free because otherwise the places he gets it from would have to pay to dispose of it otherwise. Like Alan said, I believe that he built it himself, but I don't know where he got the plans.

Check with your tax accountant. We got 50% of our $4500 purchase price back through tax credits over about a 3yr period. Sure took the sting out of the initial cash layout. Not sure if the tax credit is still in place, but any tax person could tell you. Ours is a Reznor 150,000btu. It burns 1 1/2 gph if running constantly. In an insulated shop, you would likely cut that at least in half if not more. Had ours about 7yrs at least. Only had to replace the oil pre-heater & a couple sensors, plus a start capacitor for the on-board little air compressor. They sure are nice to have & with tax credits, quite the deal! We clean ours once a year of ash. Member Ducky has one also.

The tax credits are definitely something to look in to. I think that how often it needs cleaned has everything to do with the quality of the oil you use and how well it's filtered. That friend of mine says he cleans his out daily to weekly, but he heats his house and his garage with it. I hope that this helps a little at least.