#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 08:31 PM

I've not had anything out of the ordinary to report on my GT's besides just mowing but the old Murray LT(Clyde) found a new home with my Father-In-Law last Saturday. They live 75 miles south and due to endless rain I had to load it in my shop with the old gantry crane. Back yard is much too wet to use my little loading hill.

Kind of a pay it forward deal but the in-laws have helped us through the years countless times so if I could afford to buy them a brand-new one it would barely scratch the surface.

A co-worker-Clyde, was getting flack from the county about too much junk on his property many years ago and asked me if I needed a non-running riding mower but the engine turns over fine. I loaded it up that night and figured out it had a stuck valve. B/S 12 HP I/C. Very nice running engine after un-sticking the valve. I mowed with it several years until in 2011 I got the MF12G.

Last summer my FIL mentioned to me that the LT he barrowed from his Brother-In-Law all the time smoked so bad he could hardly see to mow at times.

I put belts on the Murray, tubes in the tires, bushings in the front wheels, new fuel shut-off and hauled it down. He wouldn't even let me get on it to show him how to start and operate it

Anyway long story short, they were having a rummage sale and he made sure I hauled a few items away from it. Pickup toolbox, a bunch of new GMC filters, new coveralls and an electric weedeater the wife said she would use to trim around the house along with a few other items. Just can't catch up a little to them!

I forgot to take the camera so I only got pics of loading the darn thing and the rummage sale stuff on the return. Figured I ought to do some kind of post just to show I haven't lost interest in this site!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Murray for Terry.jpg
  • Murray tractor in '55 001.jpg
  • Murray tractor in '55 002.jpg
  • Murray tractor in '55 003.jpg
  • Murray tractor in '55 004.jpg
  • Murray tractor in '55 007.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, June 17, 2014 - 08:33 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:25 AM

Very cool !! Your a lucky man to have in laws instead of oulaws LOL.
P.S. ;-) get some paint on that truck or I'm calling the GMC police on you!! :-D ♥

Edited by skyrydr2, June 18, 2014 - 03:28 AM.

• MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 05:58 AM

Good to see the GMC being put to use! Nice gesture with the Murray!

• MFDAC said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:11 AM

I have the same Murry and plan to sell it as soon as I get the darned safety switches replaced. That is a nice old truck. I've got a 55 Chevy 3600, a 58 GMC 3/4 ton, and a 59 Chevy 3100 4wd. I let mine rust and it was a big mistake. A light sanding, spot priming, and a quick paint job can save it. To save time, consider just doing a brush paint job. Thining down the paint and carefull application can give a good looking finish. Good Luck, Rick

• MFDAC said thank you

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 10:28 AM

How about more pics of the trucks. Especially that K5.

• MFDAC said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:27 PM

My grandfather cut with a murray similar to that for years.  He had a terrible yard to cut, it had wheel weights and chains on it.  He never a lot of cash to afford a real garden tractor and always picked up used tractors out of the paper.  He bought that Murray and it held up for many years, 15+ before the rear end failed.

• MFDAC said thank you

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hello, everyone, thanks for the kind responses! 

Very cool !! Your a lucky man to have in laws instead of oulaws LOL.
P.S. ;-) get some paint on that truck or I'm calling the GMC police on you!! :-D ♥

Yeah I am, especially I since I wasn't liked at all by them when we were dating. My wife has an Uncle that even offered to give her his 1970 Dodge Challenger to dump me! That was close to 40 years ago now---LOL! Seems most the comments I get up in these parts are "you're not gonna paint it are you?", and most get disappointed when I say it will be painted eventually.

Good to see the GMC being put to use! Nice gesture with the Murray!

The '55 is a good old workhorse yet, even though it was going to the crusher when a co-worker turned me on to it. That's a real long story. Even though I dig hot rods, muscle cars, customs, etc, my GMCs will stay functional trucks and get used as such.

I have the same Murry and plan to sell it as soon as I get the darned safety switches replaced. That is a nice old truck. I've got a 55 Chevy 3600, a 58 GMC 3/4 ton, and a 59 Chevy 3100 4wd. I let mine rust and it was a big mistake. A light sanding, spot priming, and a quick paint job can save it. To save time, consider just doing a brush paint job. Thining down the paint and carefull application can give a good looking finish. Good Luck, Rick

I think my fading memory recalls you mentioning that at one time. I would love to see pics of them and if you posted them I need a reminder where to find them! I do have much experience brush painting and a few parts on this truck came from the junkyard and got brush painted to make them sorta look like they belonged to it all along.

I was a sign painter for over 30 years and one of the first things I had to learn as an apprentice was to be able to "coat out" a 4x8 sheet of signboard with a roller or brush and make it look virtually "sprayed".

How about more pics of the trucks. Especially that K5.

I will do that in the next reply, but I don't want to burn everyone out on real long stories as 2 of my GMC's (not the '55) are very old family members, the 1970 K5 GMC Jimmy since 1971, so I will be pretty brief. I think that I may have done that once a couple of years ago.

My grandfather cut with a murray similar to that for years.  He had a terrible yard to cut, it had wheel weights and chains on it.  He never a lot of cash to afford a real garden tractor and always picked up used tractors out of the paper.  He bought that Murray and it held up for many years, 15+ before the rear end failed.

My yard is pretty flat but is much rougher than the curb appeal shows. Drain field, and an old go-kart track in the back yard twists my stuff around some. I imagine the rear end in these Murray's aren't built to take the grip of chains and the addition of wheel weights but heck your grandfather got 15 years out of it in difficult terrain!

This pic is for Rick, about a year and a half ago I refurbished the dash in the '55 and the blue-green is all brush painted and the satin black is Krylon spray bombs. It is actually "greener" than the flash photo shows.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• dash dent and paint work 047.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, June 18, 2014 - 07:47 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:43 PM

That dash looks great.

• MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 06:58 AM

The dash looks great. How about doing an article on how to brush paint a GT? Good Luck, Rick

• MFDAC said thank you

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:25 PM

That dash looks great.

Thanks, UncleWillie, here's one more pic of the '55, a couple of the '72 that the wife and I bought in 1979 and 3 of the K5 Jimmy. They all need paint and the Jimmy is torn down in the shop.

The first pic of the K5 is me, early 1972. This pic was found in a field after a flood wiped us out in June 1972. The only thing Mom, a sister and me had left was this truck so after Mom drove it for 30 years (1971-2001) she gave it to me. We were lucky though, as 238 folks died in that flood. The 2nd pic of the K5 is Mom selling stuff at a flea market in 1977. 3rd, working on it in the shop. Just finished mounting different seats, That and maybe the addition of A/C, the rally wheels and a little better stereo is all the more modifications it will get from stock.

The dash looks great. How about doing an article on how to brush paint a GT? Good Luck, Rick

I appreciate the compliment! I never brush painted a GT before. I probably would spray my MF's if I ever got around to restoring them.

You were right on about thinning oil based enamels. That is the biggest key besides nice prime coats. Just have to have enough dust and bug free time in between several coats instead of a couple heavy ones. High quality brushes make a big difference and you use just the tip of those brushes not bending them way over. Linseed oil can greatly help flow also but slows down drying time.

Guess I have hijacked my own thread--LOL!

DAC 

Attached Thumbnails

• New tires wheels 002cropped2.jpg
  • C2500 in 1979.jpg
  • 108_0343.jpg
  • Doug and Jimmy Friez shop1972.jpg
  • Mom and Jimmy 1977restored cropped.jpg
  • Moms Jimmy 003.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, June 19, 2014 - 07:26 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you