7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike O. OFFLINE  

Mike O.
  • Member No: 58479
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Hey Everyone. 

I am new around here and have a question about my GT16 with the K341 engine.  In its current state it starts nice and runs good, but smokes and is burning oil like crazy.  An overhaul is in its near future.  It has been overhauled once in its life but do not know exactly what was all done to it.  Are there decent "drop in" repower options or should I just go ahead and freshen up the K341?  Not too interested in a bunch of modifications to make clutches or shafts bolt on.   

Thanks for your replies!

-Mike

• T Guiles said thank you

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 10:03 AM

From my experience your probably better off staying with the same engine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe your engine is the 14hp single cylinder? When you go to the twin cylinder engines your fuel consumption will go up dramatically. This is why I've converted most of mine to diesel. The single cylinder gas engines are easier and less costly to work on. 

Maybe you could find another K341 to rebuild while your using your tractor. Those engines were common years ago and parts are available. Do you have a machine shop in your area? 

#3 Mike O. OFFLINE  

Mike O.
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 11:00 AM

The K341 is the 16hp cast iron single cylinder.  You pretty much said what I was thinking.  Yeah we have a couple of reputable small engine builders in my area!!

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 11:13 AM

I might have one of those here. It has a broken rod but the block is good if your interested in it for parts. I suppose it''s not worth more than twenty five bucks for scrap. It's stored inside and complete otherwise if you think you could use it. 

• Mike O. said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 11:37 AM

It's hard to beat one of those K series singles. Almost all new single cylinder engines are the angled cylinder types that just don't have the same shape as the old vertical cylinder K series. This can make it hard to fit into the tractor especially if you need an aligned fit for a driveshaft. Rebuild kits aren't that expensive for those engines but the labour may be quite costly.  A good used K341 would be an easy choice if you can find one for a decent price.

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Welcome to the forums Mike!

One thing that comes to mind, is the high frame. About the only motor that will slip inside will be the Kohler.

#7 Mike O. OFFLINE  

Mike O.
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thank you all!  Very good advice all around.  From what Ive experienced so far with this engine and what ive read about them when theyre running right theyre a pretty stout engine, even if they are burning oil like its gas.  I could pretty much tear into it any time as it isnt my main mower...yet!  However, my time with wrench in hand will be lmited as we just had our third kid this afternoon!! Proud daddy :D

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 08:47 PM

we just had our third kid this afternoon!! Proud daddy  :D

Congratulations!!!!!

I hope Mother and and Baby are doing good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, k341, gt16