• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 05:41 AM

It shouldn't take you long to get used to it. Doing a few jobs for yourself or family would give you some practice and give you a feel for how long it takes to do a given job. A friend has a 30hp Kubota L series tractor with a BH on it. He helps us at the church by spreading gravel, digging out septic tanks for pumping etc. He's pretty good with the BH even though he doesn't use it much. It just takes a bit of time at the controls to get used to it. I've thought of adding one to my 2320 but it would be somewhere over 8K$ for the JD hoe.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:41 AM

The hoes can be tricky for sure. When i was a kid, my dad had a Parsons hoe mounted on a Massey 55.
He was good enough he could scratch my back while I was in a ditch.
He had not ran a hoe in over 30 yrs, when he helped me replace a waterline for my son.
We rented a Bobcat excavator and ran 70 ft of line. He had ran a unit with 6 (I think levers) and the bobcat was joystick.
He dug that trench and the depth did not vary 1 inch in depth over the whole run.
I was pretty impressed that a 75 yr old could do that with a machine he had never run and had not ran a hoe in over 30 yrs.

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:25 AM

The hoes can be tricky for sure. When i was a kid, my dad had a Parsons hoe mounted on a Massey 55.
He was good enough he could scratch my back while I was in a ditch.
He had not ran a hoe in over 30 yrs, when he helped me replace a waterline for my son.
We rented a Bobcat excavator and ran 70 ft of line. He had ran a unit with 6 (I think levers) and the bobcat was joystick.
He dug that trench and the depth did not vary 1 inch in depth over the whole run.
I was pretty impressed that a 75 yr old could do that with a machine he had never run and had not ran a hoe in over 30 yrs.

Yeah, that is impressive!!!  About like some of the old time patrol (motor grader) operators--when I sold heavy equipment parts my boss would tell me that those guys were so good at grading by eye sight it's like they had a bubble in their butt.

Smitty

• JDBrian said thank you

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, that is impressive!!!  About like some of the old time patrol (motor grader) operators--when I sold heavy equipment parts my boss would tell me that those guys were so good at grading by eye sight it's like they had a bubble in their butt.

Smitty

Yes I have seen some pretty incredible things done. I knew a guy who pushed an egg across a field with a Cat with a cable controlled blade. His son was the motor grader operator. Another son ran crane for high voltage power line installations.

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:50 PM

About like some of the old time patrol (motor grader) operators

Cat 11 patrol. Spent a few hours hanging onto the knuckle busters in that thing. Good memories.

No hydraulics in those,

Edited by Cvans, June 19, 2014 - 09:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota b7100 hst, 4wd, backhoe, front end loader, fel, b/h