#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Got the 990 all oiled and greased up on linkages and all move free and easy now, even the brake works right. Was running wonderful. Then, just decides it won't start one time. Lots of spark, fuel line OK, blew into carb inlet, pulled the needle and gas runs out. This thing some days cranks all day to start, other times instant start when hitting key. I even went down and refreshed the selonoid, which had bad wire from switch and got it better. NOW, the gear went bad cranking it. Darn plastic gears on these Briggs, what is the deal??? I have seen aftermarket metal replacements but never for the 16 tooth like I always have. Why not these?  And why does it seem only half the gear gets worn off and they never go full depth into flywheel?  SO, off to shop for gear. I see these on epay all the time in pairs, sets of 5 and even like packs of 20, all official B and S parts. Guess I see why now. 

Have a guy called on it to see in AM, and now it does t his too me. Tractor Gods Hate Me!

• GTTinkerer, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:28 PM

. Darn plastic gears on these Briggs, what is the deal??? I have seen aftermarket metal replacements but never for the 16 tooth like I always have. Why not these?  And why does it seem only half the gear gets worn off and they never go full depth into flywheel?  Tractor Gods Hate Me!

What forum did you post this on, Grump? Need I say more???

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:54 PM

I guess they are like the plastic cam shafts in the Kawi engines. Someone thought it was a good way to save a few bucks. 

• GTTinkerer and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Its just the way manufactures are cutting costs on the new engines. How do you think you can buy a tractor at lowes for the everday low price of $600 :wallbanging:

Plastic Gears are even used on some cams and governor gears!!!!!!

I had an engine I worked on that was a 2013 Briggs and Stratton OHV engine and the plastic governor  gear already destroyed itself. :(

That's why guys like us try and keep these old engines going!

• Alc, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Ditto to what Brian said. 

First it was aluminum, then it was pot metal, then we went to plastic.  Granted, plastic technology has improved exponentially, but there is still no replacing good quality metal. 

Ben W.

• Alc, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 12:19 AM

The plastic gear saves the flywheel from being torn up. It is a whole lot easier to change a bendix gear then a flywheel. You can take the gear off,flip it around and use it again. I have been doing that for years. Another point a plastic bendix gear is a $5 piece,price a new flywheel,if you can find one.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 12:33 AM

While I was at the Briggs school in Milwaukee our instructor said that the plastic cam gears and lobes actually wear less than the metal ones.  We kept thinking and asking, "Really?  I mean really?"  and he swore by it.  Specialty plastic with impregnated lubricants is the claim.  He was a pretty straight shooter and was free to point out flaws and poorly engineered parts made by his own company so I tend to believe him.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 01:25 AM

While I was at the Briggs school in Milwaukee our instructor said that the plastic cam gears and lobes actually wear less than the metal ones.  We kept thinking and asking, "Really?  I mean really?"  and he swore by it.  Specialty plastic with impregnated lubricants is the claim.  He was a pretty straight shooter and was free to point out flaws and poorly engineered parts made by his own company so I tend to believe him.

Look at the plactic wheels on push mowers, when the wheels get wobbly nine out of ten times the metal wheel bolt is the problem not the plastic wheel  Of course that is because the sand particle attach to the plastic wheel and grind away the wheel bolts.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:46 AM

The plastic gear saves the flywheel from being torn up. It is a whole lot easier to change a bendix gear then a flywheel. You can take the gear off,flip it around and use it again. I have been doing that for years. Another point a plastic bendix gear is a $5 piece,price a new flywheel,if you can find one.

You hit the nail on the head! I just want to mention that when I change a Bendix gear, I take a small file and inspect every tooth on the flywheel. I remove any burrs or rough areas. The gears last longer that way. Good Luck, Rick

• rustyoldjunk, MH81 and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#10 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 12:21 PM

The flywheel ring gear is made of aluminum. A metal starter gear would tear the ring gear up. Because it does not engage completely, I have ovaled the starter motor mounting holes a little just to get a little more engagement. Don't really know if it has helped though.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 01:30 PM

VTX, now sure why not full engage either, wondered about that. Might try that trick in future on other tractor. Yesterday didn't wanna start. Today with new gear in and fresh battery charge, starts instantly again. Sheesh! this thing is hexed! Waiting for looker to come see, but now not showing, so guess that was a No-Go.  The lights never worked, yet seemed wired OK. I noticed the switch didn't have a "click" to it. Crossed the terms on switch with tool and lights work fine, just the switch. Odd and easy one for once!

• MH81 said thank you

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,278 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 01:43 PM

I hope they come and lighten your load.

#13 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Good to hear she is ready for the new owner GL.

I ordered a new starter for the 81' Blue Wizard. Jack's Small Engines SBS0003. The old one is weak and the bearings make noise.

The Wizard needs the wiring improved and a new PTO safety switch is coming from Ebay. PN 925-0268 or 725-0268. Getting her back to work again. The skins will come off for a good cleaning and lube.

Also ordered two more sets of thrust bearings for the other tractors. McMaster Carr - 5909K33  3/4"ID X 1-1/4"OD with .032 washers. These make a difference in ease of steering. Installing on the bottom of each spindle. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, June 18, 2014 - 10:28 AM.