3 replies to this topic

#1 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:12 PM

Not what you expect.....

Coming home from the GT Extravaganza Saturday, I had a blow-out on my trailer. I had 2 GT's on there with some odd & ends.

I guess I was expecting problems, or was really prepared but I had a spare and the tools to replace a tire.

Well I was about 8 miles short of my turn-off onto the state highway when the tire blew-out. My wife helped some and we got it replaced.

Well, about 1/2 mile from our turn-off from I-64 the spare blew-out! (Only traveled about 6-7 miles)

Just dropped the trailer, went home, unloaded a bunch of groceries, got another "spare" and the floor jack and went back after the trailer.

I was 45 minutes from home, and it took about 2 1/2 hours to get the GT's back home!!

I was beat when I got home. I backed the trailer into the pole barn and let it sit until today to unload!

Home no-one else had this much fun going home!

• Gtractor, GTTinkerer, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Not what you expect.....
Coming home from the GT Extravaganza Saturday, I had a blow-out on my trailer. I had 2 GT's on there with some odd & ends.
I guess I was expecting problems, or was really prepared but I had a spare and the tools to replace a tire.
Well I was about 8 miles short of my turn-off onto the state highway when the tire blew-out. My wife helped some and we got it replaced.
Well, about 1/2 mile from our turn-off from I-64 the spare blew-out! (Only traveled about 6-7 miles)
Just dropped the trailer, went home, unloaded a bunch of groceries, got another "spare" and the floor jack and went back after the trailer.
I was 45 minutes from home, and it took about 2 1/2 hours to get the GT's back home!!

I was beat when I got home. I backed the trailer into the pole barn and let it sit until today to unload!
Home no-one else had this much fun going home!

hate that you had problems. we came close to having a big problem, we hauled all of the tractors home and went back for our fifth wheel camper, hooked up and started home, turned off of interstate and going through the yield I heard a scraping noise. one of the boards that we use to level the camper shifted lowering our front jacks!!! had just enough room to pull over and move the board and raise them back up. we were 9 tenths of a mile from our drive.. could have been really bad. hope everyone else made it home safe.
  • tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Glad nobody and no tractors were hurt!

My spares on my trailers get rotated into service about once a month.  That way they remain good spares and not a dry rotted rubber circle.

Ben W.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 04:04 AM

Something to remember about trailer tires is that they are similar to RV tires in that they usually don't get that many miles put on them.

That becomes a problem as they will generally 'age out' before they wear out.

Tires that are 6-7 years old are 'aged out' and for highway use, pretty much a blowout waiting to happen.  I know that we all have tires on our GTs that are REALLY old, but those are used at low speed and never get hot or abused like tires driven at highway speeds.

Here's what happens to old tires when you drive them at highway speeds:

100_4570.JPG 100_4571.JPG

That tire was on the HMS Rainmaker when we bought it. As you can see there was a LOT of tread left, and the tire didn't have any cracking on the sidewalls.  It, and all the other tires looked great.  However they were all 10+ years old, and we ended up replacing all 6 tires, as it was flat out unsafe to drive with tires that old. 

Fortunately that was one of the drive tires.  I still shudder when I think what might have happened if it was one of the steering tires.

Guys, do yourself a favor and check the dates on the tires on vehicles and trailers that get used on the highway. No matter HOW good they look, if they are 6-7 years old, replace them.

• Alc, boyscout862 and KC9KAS have said thanks