• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheDevilsDaddy OFFLINE  

TheDevilsDaddy
  • Member No: 55289
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:52 AM

I have an 80's Wheel Horse 308-8 that I recently purchased and the belt that runs to the front of the mower that powers the deck.....that belt came off and its one belt and four pulleys. I have no clue about this mower and will learn how to work on it.

I bought this off of a woman whose deceased husband put allot of money into it.  Has the plow, new tires and rims, new tie rods, ball joints, seat, etc..,It was his baby and now I will take good care of it.

I need help on how to get this belt on correctly and much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM4927.JPG

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  I moved this over to the Wheel Horse forum so it would get more exposure and you can get the answers you need.  Good Luck.

• TheDevilsDaddy said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 12:12 PM

It's lined up correctly in the photo. Just put each end over the pulley next to which it's located. There are three grooves next to the engine. Put it on the middle one. The drive belt is on the big one. Oh, and turning the knob on the mule will tighten and loosen the belt.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 12:56 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check out our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick 

• TheDevilsDaddy said thank you

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 01:03 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#6 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Welcome to GTTalk.    :wave:    :wave:     :wave:

The download will show you exactly how to route it, but be sure to release the tension using the black knob on the very front of your new tractor, 3-4 turns so the "Front Mule Drive" moves back toward the frame slightly (a 1/2" will give you 2" of slack belt).

Belt rides on the PTO "Inside" pulley, and on the top center pulley of the mower deck.

Hopefully you also got all the original manuals and brochures (they sell quite well on eBay), sounds like the original owner would have kept those. Also, he would have also had a special 18" long 11/8" open-end wrench for removing the 3 mower blades, it has a thin head to fit under the blade to lock the spindle so you can remove the blade nuts easily, it came with the new mower, it has the words WHEEL HORSE cast in it, really helps a lot to have it.

Edited by GlenPettit, June 16, 2014 - 02:02 PM.

• LilysDad and TheDevilsDaddy have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 02:13 PM

Won't he have to remove the Mule drive pulley guard to slip those belts over the pulleys?, then tighten that cover back up when on?  Has to keep in mine one side belt is turned each way depending on the pulley it rides on. Flat pulley takes back of belt, the V pulley takes the V side of belt. Maybe with just a twist of belt or ? it will line up properly, looks like it is pulled wrong in the pix he had. These are simple things I know, but seems he is a "Newby" to tractors, so throwing them in.

• GlenPettit said thank you

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 02:18 PM

In all my years, I've never heard of the flat wrench! Are they rare?

• GlenPettit said thank you

#9 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:25 PM

Here's a photo of the Wheel Horse Wrench, the 11/8" head is thinner than a regular large wrench (1/4" vs 3/8"), that allows you to slide the head under the blade to fit on the hex bolt below the blade to lock/hold it in place, usually using the inside sides of the deck.

IMG_0174_zps1e94d589.jpg

They were given out as a gift with a new tractor purchase, mid 70's - 90's (A, B, C, D-series and 200, 300, 400-series), and it has a part # too, they really do help a lot with the blade removal.  A regular 11/8" open end wrench can be ground down to do the same, but then the 18" length is also a plus.  I have seen them sold on eBay several years ago, not lately, but I guess if you have one, you'll keep and use it --- they also fit the large nuts for trailer ball hitches.  I have my WH wrench in the tool box, that's where a lot of them probably still are.  Rare, probably not, but hard to find, --- that's why I'ld look extra hard for it, in the prior owners tool boxes.

** Looks like the drive belt came off during transport, so the 'Mule Drive' can stay on and belt routing looks to be  OK. To replace a belt, yes, the 'Mule Drive' assembly must be removed (using the 11/8" Wheel Horse wrench, again there) to route the belt correctly (like glgrumpy described).

Glen

In the above photo, I use the "dual-blade" system, with Gator Blades above the original standard blades so I have 12 cutting edges, and use a thinner 7/8" nut on the spindle threads.  The Gator Blades keep the cuttings airborne to recut and give me much finer clippings and a greater throw, works with both RD and SD decks.

Edited by GlenPettit, June 16, 2014 - 06:49 PM.

• LilysDad, Rock farmer and TheDevilsDaddy have said thanks

#10 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 09:07 PM

For reference too, take a peek-a-boo here:

http://www.partstree...er&mn=E5-48SC01

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheel horese, 308-8, tractor, belts