Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ss12 Trans Input Pulley Brazed And Wobbling.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • Member No: 9938
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:36 PM

I had to take the hi/lo trans in my 68 SS12 out for something else (axle seals) and I find that the nut for the input pulley has been brazed to both the pulley and the shaft. Also, the pulley itself has got a pretty prounounced wobble to it. Probably 1/2" difference in clearance between it and the trans as it rotates.

Any guesses as to why someone would braze it on like that? What comes to mind is; lost key, mangled keyway, or mangled shaft threads.

A part of me wants to grind those brazes out, see what's the problem, and deal with it. The other part doesn't want to open a can of worms and potentially have to start replacing hard to find parts. (I'm just assuming the shaft and pulley aren't easy to find)

The tractor doesn't see anything harder than light mow and snow duties, which it has performed for the last 2 years, with that (unknown) wobbling pulley, just fine.

Guess I'm just looking for opinions that may nudge my decision one way or the other.

Thanks!

• Texas Deere and Horse and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 574 Thanks
  • 460 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Unless you can see potential future problems that might result from the wobble, I probably wouldn't mess with it. 

Especially since it's been working fine like that for the last two years.

• Alc and whyaretwo have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,664 Thanks
  • 15,449 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:57 PM

As long as you can live with knowing it's like that and are OK with that then leave it alone. I personally couldn't leave it that way if it were mine, but I'm anal about things like that.

• Alc and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 7,230 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:27 AM

Boy that's a tuff call , on one hand I would want to fix it in case it causes more problems but on the other I've made things worse trying to make them right lol

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:43 AM

Sounds to me like they couldnt get the pulley off, bent it with a puller, screwed up the threads, and just gave up.
I would probably try to straighten it some in place, but leave it alone beyond that.

To keep the pulley from being irregular in the groove if a hammer is involved, see if you can find a junk belt to put in the groove, cut to length and run hose clamp around the whole thing.
  • Alc and whyaretwo have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:57 AM

I would use it and look for the parts to fix it. When you have the parts and the time replace the damaged stuff. That would be my plan.

• GTTinkerer and whyaretwo have said thanks

#7 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • Member No: 54173
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Last time I had to search for a trans input pulley on a sears tractor, I found it was a part that Sears still stocks (for like $50).  I also found a sturdier, older version of the exact same pulley on ebay for about $35 and used that instead. :)

#8 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • Member No: 54173
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 02:44 PM

exact part I used:

DakZ9KV.jpg

Part number is stamped there, 6461H.  Mine called for a 6461H2, which is the solid hub with stamped/spot welded sheet metal body and pulley.  Same pulley, different construction.  Searching sears parts online shows neither listed as available, so you may need to shop around.

I had no bearing puller wide enough to fit around the back side of mine when I pulled it, so I used 3-jaw pullers with the hope it would survive.  It bent, and popped off the hub, leaving me to look for a replacement, which I found in the item pictured above.

• whyaretwo said thank you

#9 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • Member No: 9938
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:11 PM

MH81, I'd say the scenario you described sounds very plausible. Fortunately I do happen to have a broken belt handy.

JDBrian, probably the route I'll go. Like Texas Deere and Horse I can't stand knowing it's like that, even if it is working ok. However, it's got a job to do, and I think it can manage until I find the right parts at a reasonable price.

TX_Dj, now that's the sort of pully I'd rather have.

Does anyone have a spec on the ID for the pulley? The pully isn't a part I feel compelled to keep OEM so long as I've got a proper fit and the replacement is at least as durable as the original.

• Texas Deere and Horse and JDBrian have said thanks

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:39 AM

I think your best bet would be to find a tractor with a blown engine and get the parts that way.
I had a chance to look under a couple of tractors yesterday and 2/3 of them had a little wobble in the pulley. Not as bad as what you're describing, but a little wobble.
Certain the one had never been out.