• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:28 PM

what yr did the first magnetrons come out for the Briggs engines?  I have a 1968 6hp with one, didn't know how much earlier they built them.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:09 PM

I remember installing them on B&S points engines in the 70's, but don't know when they first used them from the factory.

• Lauber1 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:01 AM

If remember correctly, 1965, model 24 10 hp.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#4 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:44 AM

I believe the first mass release of magnatrons was in 1982 thus the separate repair books for the pre-82 models.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:08 AM

I believe the first mass release of magnatrons was in 1982 thus the separate repair books for the pre-82 models.

I was thinking early 80s myself. I don't think they were a factory option in the 60s although they will retrofit back quite a ways. I've heard that there was a program to send your old flywheel back to Briggs and they would repolarize it for the magnatron. Also any flywheel with one magnet should work with them.

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:18 PM

I was thinking early 80s myself. I don't think they were a factory option in the 60s although they will retrofit back quite a ways. I've heard that there was a program to send your old flywheel back to Briggs and they would repolarize it for the magnatron. Also any flywheel with one magnet should work with them.

I had thought at first someone had changed it over, but the plug wire has the factory paint of the engine on it, so it just about has to be original. This engine would have normally use a 3 pole mag, so I was surprised to find it here.  

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:48 PM

well the kits would fit onto your old stock coil      and the only ones I remember needing to be re polarized were the cast iron block engines

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:37 AM

I had thought at first someone had changed it over, but the plug wire has the factory paint of the engine on it, so it just about has to be original. This engine would have normally use a 3 pole mag, so I was surprised to find it here.  

Jeff:  What model engine?

If your coil has the Magnetron as an external component, it was added to the original coil at a later date.  ...That would explain the paint on the plug wire..  .....I am certain that the Magnetron was not available in the 1960's. 

My memory (questionable, at times) believes that Magnetron did not become standard on engines until the early 1980's, or possibly the late 1970's.

Magnetron was sold as an add-on kit to convert older engines to eliminate the points.  ....Replacement coils were available with the Magnetron integrated within the coil.  ....Production engines were equipped with the internal solid-state components - never with the add-on (external) kit. 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Jeff:  What model engine?

If your coil has the Magnetron as an external component, it was added to the original coil at a later date.  ...That would explain the paint on the plug wire..  .....I am certain that the Magnetron was not available in the 1960's. 

My memory (questionable, at times) believes that Magnetron did not become standard on engines until the early 1980's, or possibly the late 1970's.

Magnetron was sold as an add-on kit to convert older engines to eliminate the points.  ....Replacement coils were available with the Magnetron integrated within the coil.  ....Production engines were equipped with the internal solid-state components - never with the add-on (external) kit. 

I was wrong !!!!!   ....Disregard what I said above.

I just came across a B&S shroud with the Magnetron decal on it.  .....The shroud was from an 8hp vertical manufactured March 1972.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#10 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:20 PM

I think some magnetron kits came with the decal to put there when they were changed over.
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 04:37 PM

the engine is a 146402, and was the replacement engine sold though the Sears catalog of that(1968) time period.  Basically its an aluminum block model 14, of 6hp. Earlier ones were listed as 5.75 hp. Very earlier ones used an air vane govern, later ones used a mechanical one.  You find this engine in a lot of late 50's up into the mid 60's tractors. Once in a while an engine of this group is found on a walk-behind. There are several engines in the 140,000 group, such as 142xxx, 143,xxx, 146xxx and so on.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 05:38 PM

yup the kits came with a decal to cover over the "EASY SPIN" decal on your pull starter so that '72 engine had also been "converted"

I remember when they came out it was early 80s while I was taking Small Engines in high school

#13 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,159 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:28 PM

1982 was when magnetron was introduced,Here it is mentioned in the 1984 update seminar
Attached File  1984 briggs.PDF   435.65KB   36 downloads I just got a new computer and it will not let me scan a picture but here is the page

Edited by drbish, June 18, 2014 - 06:30 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi and dodge trucker have said thanks