48 replies to this topic

#46 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 565 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 02:34 AM

Alc, a bend in hot steel that is air cooled is not as strong as a cold bend. Google "quenching and tempering".

Don, that was over 20 years ago. No camera and no internet.

• Alc, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#47 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,158 Thanks
  • 1,531 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 03:09 AM

For mild steel there are specific parameters that govern cold bending. If I remember correctly it is recommended to keep the radius of the bend above 1.5 times the thickness of the material. This is a very general recommendation and can vary drastically. very thin material can bend in a 1 to 1 ratio but bending 1" material to a 1 1/2 radius would be risky. It also matters if you are bending with the grain or across the grain. Surface preparation also  can also make a difference, a scratch on the outside of a bend can easily turn into a crack with a tight bend. If you have a plate or bar with sharp corners on the edge they will crack while bending. All of this applies to a full 90 degree bend. Of course the fewer degrees you make the bend the less you have to be concerned about damaging the steel. Some very hard steels will bend very little before they snap. Proper bending is part science part skill and mostly luck for the Hobie shop. In industry the engineers know exactly what the composition and properties of the material are and exactly how they change with work. the materials used in auto manufacturing are often very soft so they bend easy, this makes it much easier on the forming machinery.   but they are alloyed to be work hardening so when the parts are stamped out they become much stronger. Heating this type of material will anneal it removing the work hardening. Heating mild steel to bend it will have little to no effect on its final strength, with any other steel if you don't know exactly what your dealing with all bets are off.  Don

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#48 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,158 Thanks
  • 1,531 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 03:17 AM

Alc, a bend in hot steel that is air cooled is not as strong as a cold bend. Google "quenching and tempering".

Don, that was over 20 years ago. No camera and no internet.

I have threatened to modify my log splitter into a press for bending/straightening operations and maybe bearing press but have never done it. I was looking for inspiration or motivation. thanks.  Don

• KennyP said thank you

#49 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,928 Thanks
  • 47,123 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 05:42 AM

Kenny did you receive all 3 cast pieces with your 20 ton press from HF?  I bought my 20 ton HF press over 10 years ago and I only received 2.

Yes, I got all 3 with it, supposed to have 2. I didn't take it back!

• olcowhand, Sawdust and coxhaus have said thanks