3 replies to this topic

#1 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:04 AM

I know steering wheels can be hard to get off, but I think I have met my match.  I have a "3 to make 1" project going on with these things.  I have removed the bolt, soaked in Kroil, used every puller I have, and nothing.  I can't get a puller between the metal collar in the wheel and the metal cup on the steering column.  Before I take out the cutting tools, if anybody else has an idea, it would be greatly appreciated.  Also, does anybody know if you disassemble the steering gear, will the worm gear come up thru the shaft, or does it have to come out the bottom.  If it would, I would just pull the shaft from the top and leave the wheel on.

Thanks

Tim

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:34 AM

I had this same problem with a replacement wheel on a JD317. The replacement wheel was welded to the centre portion of the original wheel. I ended up cutting the wheel off the hub so I could get the steering gear out of the console. I then drilled a series of holes through the hub almost to the shaft and eventually weakened it to the point that I was able to split it and pry it off. If that is the standard Ross steering gear you should be able to pull the shaft up through providing the loose ball bearings on the bottom are removed and the bushing on the top is free. I didn't think of trying that when I was working on mine. If you start pounding on the shaft to get the wheel off you can easily damage the steering gear housing, so taking it apart is worth a try IMO. 

• TimW said thank you

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 01:57 PM

The shaft on my snapper could not be removed by pulling out the top. There is a set of bearings on the top side of the worm that would prevent that. 

Here is Joe from Joes OPE removing a steering wheel

• olcowhand, IamSherwood and TimW have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 07:13 PM

On my Ross gear the bearings above the worm are just loose ball bearings and could be removed. Great video. They made it look easy! The right tools and technique make all the difference. 

• TimW said thank you