Gt Or Lt?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lobo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7678
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 01:37 AM

I need and looking for a mower that pulls with both rear wheels.  I am constantly getting stuck with one wheel kicked up and spinning!!  Everything that I have looked at, (hydro & geared) have deferential that leaves me stuck when one wheel looses traction.  Who makes what I am looking for, keeping in mind that I can't afford any of the high end; high priced mowers.

• BTS said thank you

#2 sgp0511 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57739
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:47 PM

Don't know if its possible but put a locker on a geared rear end, or get a RAM. What are you trying to pull?

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 02:10 AM

Adding some weight to the rear tires may help maintain traction.  Also running more aggresive tires may help.  Sounds like you may be in ine of the areas in Western Kentucky where the red clay slickens things up which played havoc with the 52 ton Main Battle Tanks and since you can't reverse every fourth center guide you may be in trouble.

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:49 AM

My JD 318 and my PK have  separate brakes  so if you get one wheel spinning you just put a little pressure to stop it ,and then the other wheel will start it's job. I also use it while mowing on my bank , just putting slight pressure on the upper wheel keeps it from spinning . I think there's a post where someone put individual   brakes on a tractor that didn't have them . I think Allis Chamers had some type of locking rear but maybe someone will come along to explain it

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,334 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 07:07 AM

Most tractor rears could be locked fairly easily, but you would have the issue of turning. You would need tri ribs and weights up front... Ad one rear would have to slide.

My suggestion is wheel weights or fluid fill and if not enough, then add chains to the turfs.

Windshield washer fluid is pretty cheap and easy to get and tire chains can be found at many flea markets or yard sales. And you can cut them down to length.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,413 Thanks
  • 4,614 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I can't help with any of the newer tractors, but I know that almost all of the old Bolens tube frame tractors had a 'controlled' differential.

They have a knob on the left axle that when turned all the way in, locks the rear wheels. Turning it out  gives an increasing amount of slip.

The red 'knob' in this pic is what to look for on a Bolens to determine if it has the controlled differential.

Here's a short vid of a 1256 Hydro blowing snow.  In the first 30 seconds or so you can see how it works with the knob turned in.

• Alc said thank you

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,237 Thanks
  • 7,472 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Some Wheel Horses have limited slip, but I can't tell you which. Anyone?

#8 Natureboy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49649
  • 70 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:15 PM

Depending on what you consider as high priced, the Husqvarna GT54LS has a locking diff for around $3150. Or, as others have suggested, weight & chains.

#9 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:39 PM

All Simplicity and Allis large frames had a limited slip differential, except a rare few early tractors. Like the Bolens, they were adjustable from full lock to full slip.

Late model machimes offer a foot controlled diff lock, which I love.
  • Alc said thank you

#10 johnwesley OFFLINE  

• Member No: 12416
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:13 PM

my Snapper YT 1644 hydro has limited slip plus has a pedal to lock the rearend. You have to slow down to turn or you will cut the lawn.

• Alc said thank you

#11 lobo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7678
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Thanks to all of you, for taking time to respond. No hill's, but a shallow ditch that runs across the front of my property. Even after installing tractor "lug type" tires, my Poulan Pro (Hydro) can not function here,, I have to use my truck & chain to yank the %$$#% thing back onto all four wheels. I wore a old Snapper LT 11 completely out in this ditch; with never a problem because it was geared & with chain to rear axle; pulling both rear wheels. I am going to look at a Wheel Horse/Toro 312-8 . It is like new & with 158 hours on the clock. I can get it at a very good price, but not sure that it will do any better than the Poulan.