wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Well, about 15 minutes ago a guy up the street stopped by because he needs a hub to replace the one that broke on his Sears, you know the kind, 1 inch keyed style, and aluminum. I feel bad because he said he went to all the junk yards in the county with no luck, and I have no leads for him other than I have half a dozen spare Moto-Mower and Springfield hubs that are cast iron, and will, of course fit his Sears. And there is no way I would part with a spare hub for rare tractor for a sears, but feel bad because I can fix his problem if I did. So I took a lap to see what all tractors I have in my collection with hubs that weren't as rare and of course, the GT-18 would have fallen victim if it weren't for being splined hubs, because its the only one with hubs even close to being common. Anyway, what would you guys have done? Would you have parted with a rare hub knowing you may or may not need it in the future, but knowing it wouldn't be on the same brand?? I mean if he had been looking for a Moto-Mower or Springfield hub I woulda hooked him right up.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 12:54 PM

No way you should feel bad at all. Rare becomes rarer to you, once you part with something. There are plenty of those hubs out there for him, just not as handy as you to get hold of. Likely he can get one off the internet easy enough.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Here's a pair of steel replacements for him on ebay right now!
CRAFTSMAN GT RIDING MOWER 5 BOLT HUB FOR 1" KEYED RIM - eBay (item 330518874478 end time Feb-11-11 22:40:19 PST)

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 01:03 PM

I know there are plenty of hubs on ebay but the part that makes me feel bad is that it probably happened plowing snow and I don't think he has time to wait on one in the mail... but again, tough to say no when I know I have rare hubs that fit.

#5 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 01:13 PM

Why dont you sell it to him for $60 or whtever youre comfortable with. He can buy a new one, when that one comes you give him his money back and he gives you your hub back. Like you said it sounds like he needs it. Youd really make his day I bet

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 01:24 PM

I don't feel right charging that much to anyone local, remember, I have to live here, but ya, I woulda made his day if I gave him a hub..

#7 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 01:30 PM

Why dont you sell it to him for $60 or whtever youre comfortable with. He can buy a new one, when that one comes you give him his money back and he gives you your hub back. Like you said it sounds like he needs it. Youd really make his day I bet

Wow, Now That's A Great Attitude and Smart, Unselfish Solution to the situation that everyone benefits from. I've done simular things myself many times. This Post proves the point I made earlier in the welcome forum about the people in "the tractor Scene" being a great bunch. Well Done

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:04 PM

I agree on the loaner idea. If you are not comfortable with $60 then loan it to him for $40 and explain to him where to find a replacement and then when he gets the replacement in to give you the loaner back and you can refund him his money. More then likely he would tell you to keep part or all of it anyway. You would definitely make his day.

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:29 PM

Well, I called him up and talked to him and he said he did not want to borrow a hub, but rather buy it. His concern was he likes to break things so he didn't want to mess up one of my hubs, so he will keep looking he said.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:38 PM

Casey, Thats all you can do for him, besides buying a hub off ebay and selling it to him.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:55 PM

Better yet, either at his house or yours, log onto e-bay and have him buy it right then. Then you can either loan him the hub and ship the new one to you, or to him. If it goes to you, then you could offer to give him a hand putting it on when it comes in. That way you can go pick up your good one and give him his. A total flake out, worse case leaves you with the new hub.

If you loan with the "go here to buy it" he might not do it, or give you the run around. I say call him over, tell him you found one for his tractor, and dug up one that might fit his until it his comes in. Just let him know that it's not the right one, and you need it, but it may get him going for now. Then either have him buy it, or give you the cash for the e-bay one shipped to you. That way no money is held up, except for the the price for the part he bought and he feels good knowing you went the extra mile to find not only one that "might fit", but the replacement for his tractor.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 03:08 PM

You did all you could there, Casey. He'll just have to wait now, but it was his decision.