• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2broke2ride ONLINE  

2broke2ride
  • Member No: 58083
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Will a 60" deck, mounting brackets, and mule drive from a 1976 14hp Jim dandy fit on a 1975 1614 power king?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 2broke2ride ONLINE  

2broke2ride
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Minor correction, it is actually a 48" deck. Also, does anyone know any sources for used parts for these decks? It needs all the bearings plus the spindle and pulley for the center plus belts and both idlers. I would like to see if I could get the spindle and the pulley used and save a couple bucks.

#3 2broke2ride ONLINE  

2broke2ride
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 07:26 PM

where are all the power king experts? :D

Edited by 2broke2ride, June 17, 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:35 PM

Far as I know, the decks are probly the same, yet all mountings and espececially Mule drive are diff. JD/s have narrow channel frame and PK has wider tube frame. I'm glad to see it is 48", the 60's aren't as nice, and don't think a JD would handle it that well. Think the bearings are same as standard trailer bearings and can be found in tractor stores. Usually come with two bearings and seals in kit??  Shafts would have to be PK ones. If you go to epay, therre is a lot of parts for PK's on there. Not always cheap tho, but that is what happens when stuff is NLA!  jrhaines sells on there and you can contact him for parts and is more reasonable. he does have more than what is shown on epay.  If you go to the Manuals section here there may be a parts manual for decks you can download and print for your use for free. Seems if you search here, the files for guys working on this same problem may be around yet to read and see what they did to fix.  There is info also on Yahoogroups/powerkingtractors   with pix and info and helpers. Possibly just watching around for another deck with correct mountings is cheapest way out if not really in hurry.

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Far as I know, the decks are probly the same, yet all mountings and espececially Mule drive are diff. JD/s have narrow channel frame and PK has wider tube frame. I'm glad to see it is 48", the 60's aren't as nice, and don't think a JD would handle it that well. Think the bearings are same as standard trailer bearings and can be found in tractor stores. Usually come with two bearings and seals in kit??  Shafts would have to be PK ones. If you go to epay, therre is a lot of parts for PK's on there. Not always cheap tho, but that is what happens when stuff is NLA!  jrhaines sells on there and you can contact him for parts and is more reasonable. he does have more than what is shown on epay.  If you go to the Manuals section here there may be a parts manual for decks you can download and print for your use for free. Seems if you search here, the files for guys working on this same problem may be around yet to read and see what they did to fix.  There is info also on Yahoogroups/powerkingtractors   with pix and info and helpers. Possibly just watching around for another deck with correct mountings is cheapest way out if not really in hurry.

The Jim Dandy's had a ladder frame starting in 1973 but it was smaller than the full sized tractor frame.I know the mule drive is different on the channel frame but I am not sure about the the later ones.I think the drives are the same but can't confirm it.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Ok, thought JD's weren't big frame till 80 or close! Drive might be same then, at least mount similar. But when did eletric pto come in and that might make diff too on what drive is needed. So many variables on this brand!

#7 2broke2ride ONLINE  

2broke2ride
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 08:27 PM

So basically as it goes, I got my power king for free from a nice older lady, part of the "deal" was that I get her Jim dandy running and cutting grass again "if I can" as she put it. So me and dad dragged the jd to the shop last week and began to asses the situation. First of, no compression...... Pulled the head and un-seize the exhaust valve, all good now, got it to run on carb cleaner. I actually have the carb all cleaned (nightmare of rust and seized mixture screws) and sitting on the passenger seat of my truck, just gotta find time to get it back on. In the meantime, dad pulled the deck off and found that all the bearings are seized as well as both idler pulleys but it gets better. The castle nut on the center pulley at some point loosened up and went in noticed, it was ran until it sheared the key and then continued to run with the pulley spinning and wobbling on the spindle until it shredded the belts and destroyed the spindle and the pulley. The hole in the pulley is all egged out and the spindle is necked to almost half it's original diameter. So needless to say it needs a LOT of parts. She may give it to me if parts exceed what she wants to pay so I was just wondering if the deck would fit the pk.:....... Also looking for any sources for used parts.

#8 2broke2ride ONLINE  

2broke2ride
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:29 PM

Also just to clarify, I intend to pay for a rather large portion despite her refusal to let me, I really want to get this up and running for her.