• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 08:37 PM

I have been thinking a lot about getting a lift table for working on GT's, and servicing my mowers.  It's getting harder to get down, then get back up with my knees & everything else getting older.  It would be a great investment, although expensive.  BUT, if it helps prevent injury....priceless!  

Looking at maybe a Titan XLT 1500lb capacity.  A little over a grand not counting shipping, but there are dealers within 50 miles of me, so I'll give them a call to check their prices.  I'd rather just pick one up, but ebay sellers all have pickup near Indianapolis, which is a good haul from me....380 miles round trip.  I can give more at a dealer & maybe still cost less than driving all that way.

Titan XLT 1500.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 08:49 PM

I can agree how much better this would be. I know stability is a major issue but it looks like the platform could be wider to keep your feet away from the base. It might just be the angle of the pic too. I seen a guy took one used for motorcycles & converted it for GT's.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 09:22 PM

For now I am just stacking some pallets and putting a piece of plywood over them. Makes a passable work station, but it isn't very adjustable.

• KennyP and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 09:30 PM

A lot of the snowmobile shops use the motorcycle lifts with some type of widening kit installed. They definitely work well.

Geno

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 09:31 PM

I know what you mean Dan, was glad to get the one I have. It is a shame as there was one like mine at auction just awhile back and I say it went cheap. You will be glad to get one as they do come in handy and saves on the knees. As for the style table you are looking at you may want to check into the people that made mine here is there site http://heftee.com/pr...ts/products.cfm  I have the heftee 2000 dealer service set but they do sell the lift tables. Also even though I did not get it from them they are always calling to make sure it is working good and to see if I need anything for it. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Would it be worth it to spend more $$$  and be able to have a car/light truck lift too. I don't have the height for a full size lift but thought one like this mid rise would be very handy. There are different styles out there , I just grabbed this one to show

http://excel-equipme...CFc9lOgodiVQAXg

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 11:46 PM

I got the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift, which looks kinda like one in pix here, but added wood platform to make it wider. I have not really used it. Kinda scary with bigger tractor on it, smaller ones OK I guess. I drove last Speedex on there last fall and it has been on there all winter, and piles of stuff on it. It takes up quite a bit of floor space, which I can't really spare. I really think not my best buy. I have some pix of ones that guys have made, which are much smaller, yet wide enough for tractors and open in center, so you could work underneath it some if needed. I can't do that, mine is all closed even when raised. Then, you have the width of table being part of problem of holding you away some on the smaller units, so still a back-ache time. Don't forget the wheelstops too, you need them for sure, I found that out!  Maybe I should just try it more before talking about it, but I know it is un-used at moment. Was only $299.99 with a coupon from a cycle magazine ad. Check them out if you want it cheap. Never that cheap in any other kind of ad that I have seen. Got mine in a local HF store, not shipped.

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:17 AM

Funny I see this here today!  I was just lamenting to my dad the other day about sore knee's and hurt back.  Looking into building a lift table out of aluminum, something I can just pick up and put against the wall when not in use.  I have access to lots of HI grade aluminum tube and a long reach bottle jack from hf for the lift, maybe a set of upside down C channel to drive the tractors onto and done!  Sound easy rite!  I am going to make something just not sure what or when, I just want it to be light a movable as I don't have much floor space.

lift 1.jpg

lift.jpg

I may even go with a drive on type, I only want to get the tractor up about 2' so If I make a drive on one I could fold it up and put it outside when not in use :D   Still not sure.  Good luck and let us know what you get and how it works out

Pete

• Alc and IamSherwood have said thanks

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:50 AM

Daniel,

This is similar to the one you are talking about.  A shop 20 miles south of me has two of these.

http://www.ebay.com/...sd=321360569754

• IamSherwood said thank you

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:30 AM

I've thought of getting one as well but I'd need it to double as a GT parking spot when it's down at floor level. Working on your knees or bent over is not fun at all as you get older. It also takes longer to work on things if I don't have them at a comfortable height, I drop parts and tools more often when working in awkward positions and it's not good for my mood either when I'm cursing the engineer who make something impossible to service without standing on my head or needing girly hands and a set of needle nose pliers to reach a cotter pin or whatever!. OK! I was starting to rant there but some of these older GTs are difficult to work on IME. 

• Alc, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:41 AM

One of those tables would be nice, but I have neither the space nor the funds for one. I'll just use the stands I built (one of these days)!

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:40 AM

One of those tables would be nice, but I have neither the space nor the funds for one. I'll just use the stands I built (one of these days)!

I'll soon enough have the space, but funds are short here as well, but sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet to make things a bit easier on ya.  I'd build my own, but I just don't have the time.

• KennyP said thank you

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:06 AM

I couldn't live with out mine.  I put GT's, motorcycles,  mowers, just about everything except zero turns on it.  I have an executive office chair so I can adjust the height and just sit in the chair and work.  I have the HF one and it has worked well for about 2 years now, but eventually I would like to get one that uses air and hydraulic to lift and has extenders for it.  But for under $300 I can't complain and it sure beats getting on floor or bending over.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:07 AM

I'm going to have to 'bite the bullet' and part with a bunch of 'stuff' I have saved. Don't see a use for it and I'll have more space for what I use!

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:10 AM

I have been working on some plane to build one of these, just haven't had time to get it done yet.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks