• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Went to T-Town and picked up the press today. Got it for nearly 50% off. Now I am looking into making a die for it to bend metal with it. I have some 1/2" thick bar stock that is bent for 3-point lower arms, but need more bend to work on the FF's. Think I can make it work. May have pics tomorrow if things go good!

• olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 09:17 PM

half off is good

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 11:55 PM

I have one of those. Not sure what you mean by dies to bend with?  There are those things that are v-shaped and upper part is pushed down into V till it bends  up to 90* or less with less travel. Zat what you mean?  Ones I have seen are quite expensive, and they are small, like 8" wide or so. A new Northern catalog I got shows one that is 24" wide and strength changes with thickness of metal to be bent. Still about $350 for it tho. It is shown with there press offerings. I suppose a guy could build one with metal angles and lots of back-up stock so it don't bend, but by time you got it beefy enough, would weigh a ton and take a hoist to move it onto press and off I bet.  I have done only little pressing with mine, seemed I always break the stuff I'm trying to press and while under pressure that stuff really flies! Think there was another posting on that last month if one can find it. Let me know what you have come up with, might have interest in it..

• KennyP said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:36 AM

half off is good

2 half's off is GREAT!! :thumbs:  :dancingbanana:

Head back over to Harbor Freight and buy THIS

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, June 15, 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:59 AM

I have done only little pressing with mine, seemed I always break the stuff I'm trying to press and while under pressure that stuff really flies!

Use penerating oil, patience, maybe heat, and most important USE A SHIELD. Those flying pieces can really hurt you. Good Luck, Rick

• sacsr said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Kenny, when I bent the spindles for my MF8 I made a die of sorts to hold the 3/4" round stock. Nothing fancy, just 1/2" steel bar set up to allow the bend to move down as it was bent. You may need a second piece between the end of the ram and the work piece to direct the force where you want it. I can't remember what I used there but I think it was a short piece of round stock. At first I used a piece of hardened steel that had been through many thermal cycles as part of a graphite furnace. It shattered like glass when under pressure so be careful what you use. I've seen some people cut or grind a relief slot at the bend to make the bend easier and more precise. You then weld up the relief. That may be something you want to try out. It would make it easier to get the arms identical and make the dye portion easier to make because it won't have to take as much force or hold things as precisely.  The relief slot will help define the area that bends.

• KennyP, sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:20 AM

I have one of those. Not sure what you mean by dies to bend with?  There are those things that are v-shaped and upper part is pushed down into V till it bends  up to 90* or less with less travel. Zat what you mean? 

I got 3 of the plates with it. Each side has cast cutouts, round and vee shaped. I hope to make a piece that fits up on the push bar with a vee on it to make bends. About what you describe.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Here's a SketchUp pic of what I have in mind for the upper die over the push post. It is 1/4" wall 2X2 square tube (RED) with a small piece of 3/8" bar (BLUE) welded into the bottom of the vee to push with. Over the vee, I will weld in a 3" long piece of 1/4" thick 2" angle iron. This will put the pushing force directly into the point of the vee.

Vee Die.jpeg

I'll have pics later of what this will mate to for the bottom die.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Kenny, I've been thinking about getting this same press, I read the reveiws and wondered about a few things. How was the fit and finish? Did everything line up and go together without issue? Did you get the orange or grey/silver unit? Satisfied with purchase?

Edited by Bmerf, June 15, 2014 - 09:35 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Kenny, I've been thinking about getting this same press, I read the reveiws and wondered about a few things. How was the fit and finish? Did everything line up and go together without issue? Did you get the orange or grey/silver unit? Satisfied with purchase?

I got the orange one. Everything went together well, only 15-20 minutes to set it up. BUT, I did use Grade 8 bolts instead of the supplied cheap metric! For the bottom angles, I used 1/2" bolts as they fit in the holes very good. For the upper spring bolts, I used 5/16" grade 8's. 3/8" were just too big. But that just pulls the jack back up. I had one of these before (got stolen) and had no issues.

Here's my option for the lower dies to bend into. As I said, I got 3 of the cast plates with this (instead of the normal 2). I plan to clamp all 3 together to make the bends with.

The angle iron in there is what I plan to put on the bottom of my upper die.

Image001.jpg

Without the angle iron:

Image002.jpg

The 1/2" I want to bend. I will probably have to heat it though.

Image003.jpg

These were lower arms for an unknown machine. Between the existing bends is the same length of the FF lower arms. Once I get the bends to match, I will cut it to length and weld swivels on for some nice 'heavy' lower arms!

I may start a new thread of the die build and copy some of these pics to it. Then I can tag it for searching the thread out.

• Bmerf and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Thanks, never owned a press before, but there are times it would come in handy. Me and the neighbor have been talking about going in halves for one. Neighbors for over twenty years (even moved once) we have done this before and seems to work; sharing some less used but needed tools.

Your die looks like it will work. A little heat always helps. I've always just used something stout, like a bench vise, trailer hitch or the trailer itself, and a little heat. Red hot and bend away. Never was too worried about being 'perfect', just close enough.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:44 AM

Gotcha on that! My issue is nothing solid enough handy to bend on. Plus I want to clone the bends with the FF arms I have.

I used it already. The new idler pulley I got for the FF had a 5/8" through hole at the bearing. I picked up a 3/8" to 5/8" adapter when I got it. I put the adapter in the freezer for a bit and pressed it in. Used a socket to support the bearing race.

Image007.jpg     Image008.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Kenny, did the dies come with your press or did you make therm? Your upper die needs to be made out of something like a 3" X 1/2" flat stock on edge with a "V" ground into one edge and a piece of pipe welded to the opposite edge to hold it on the round bar of the press. I made mine about 8" long. No pictures at home of it.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Kenny, did the dies come with your press or did you make therm? Your upper die needs to be made out of something like a 3" X 1/2" flat stock on edge with a "V" ground into one edge and a piece of pipe welded to the opposite edge to hold it on the round bar of the press. I made mine about 8" long. No pictures at home of it.

The Black dies came with it. Only supposed to be 2, I just got an extra one! :smilewink:  Good Idea on the upper die, but I don't have any stock like that. And the square stock goes over the round bar perfectly. I do have a small piece of 1/2", may look into what you have in mind. Might be able to weld it to the square stock. Might take a bit to get the vee on it though.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:58 AM

The Black dies came with it. Only supposed to be 2, I just got an extra one! :smilewink:  Good Idea on the upper die, but I don't have any stock like that. And the square stock goes over the round bar perfectly. I do have a small piece of 1/2", may look into what you have in mind. Might be able to weld it to the square stock. Might take a bit to get the vee on it though.

Torch cut the "V" and then grind it and it will help Case harden the edge of the die.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks