New Project At Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,040 Thanks
  • 4,971 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 05:14 PM

This is my new project at work. I think its pretty neat and wanted to share. We need a cheap reliable transportation to be used underground. At my previous operation we used golf carts. This mine has some obstacles to overcome. One they use trolley 300vdc to power rail equipment and you can't ride a rubber tire vehicle under it and 2 their track isn't graveled like we did.

I selected the golf cart to start with. Then we designed a system to mount rail wheels on hydraulic cylinders much like the rail road trucks.

We first purchased a 2005 club car iq with 48vdc electrics. We tore it apart and started sorting out parts. We put a steel frame under it using 3" channel. Right now we have installed all the frame and body work. The brakes are functional now. We need to install the throttle and bend a floor pan. Then we need to install the rail system which is being built by a machine shop.

Pictures are in an album before.

http://s1139.photobu...rary/Super cart
  • Alc, hamman, JDBrian and 7 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,279 Thanks
  • 3,698 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Sounds like an interesting project.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:59 AM

That sure looks like a fun build. It must be a nice break from regular jobs at work. 

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,742 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:47 AM

When I worked at the Caterpillar Dealer in Denver, CO back in the late 70's they modified a number of loaders specifically to be used underground in mines--I think the Empire MIne was one of the customers... they were based on a CAT 966 IIRC, but the operator's cab was on the left side where a fuel tank or hydraulic tank would normally be and the whole machine wasn't much taller than a man standing up...