• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Doing a tune up and belts on my Jacobsen Chief LT 750 as I still use it as my mower. The brakes have never really done anything so I finally got around to getting the transmission loosened up to get it apart. I have tried adjusting with no success and now I see why; the pads are just so worn there isn't enough adjustment left. Since I'm guessing I won't be going to a dealer and ordering brake pads for a Jacobsen Chief, I guess I will be drilling the rivets and riveting on new pad material. Does anyone know of a good place to just get brake material for replacing old brakes? If not, does anyone know where to get pads that could be made to work?

2014-06-14 14.39.56.jpg

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:47 AM

Check with our sponsors. Chances are that the trany is Peerless and the brakes are too. The pads should be available. When working on old GTs keep in mind that they used alot of "off the shelf" standard parts. Good Luck, Rick

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,303 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:45 AM

From what I see, looks to be alot of material left. That appears to be a cam style caliper correct? If indeed it is, I would look at the cam for wear, and inspect the linkage.

#4 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:52 AM

2014-06-14 14.40.04.jpg

Here is a pic from the other side; not sure if it shows up good here either but there is lots of material at the top where the rotor didn't touch but the rest is very thin, has a big ridge cut in it. Didn't really show in the other pic; just wondered if anyone knew where to get the parts.

#5 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 01:46 PM

You can buy brake lining material from McMaster Carr.
Cut it on a bandsaw drill and rivot it.
You may be able to glue it to the old backers.

Joe
  • Mike125s said thank you

#6 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52007
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:30 AM

You can buy brake lining material from McMaster Carr.
Cut it on a bandsaw drill and rivot it.
You may be able to glue it to the old backers.

Joe

McMaster Carr brake lining page

http://www.mcmaster....-lining/=sfk0il

Mike

Genoa,IL

#7 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Got it all back together and it works good. In case anyone else runs into this situation I figured I would share my new knowledge after a little experimenting. I helped my friend change the rear brakes on his truck (disc brakes) and kept the old pads which still had some life left. I found out you can cut brake material off of the steel holder really easily with a metal cutoff wheel on a grinder. NOTE: If you do this, make sure you protect yourself. The grinder wheel worked fine but it creates A LOT of brake dust; I did this with a lot of ventiation, respirator, and goggles. I don't know what is in modern brake linings but I don't want anyone trying this becuase I said it worked okay and breathing in a bunch of brake dust; just use common sense and safety.

Anyway, once I got some pieces of the material separated I drilled the rivets to remove the old Jacobsen pads from the mounts and cut the new brake material to the same shape with the grinder. The material also drills really well so I marked the points where the rivet holes are on the mount drilled some holes to counter-sink some little machine screws into; put the head down inside the pad material. I also got some 3500 psi automotive epoxy that I put on the back before I screwed them on to also help bond them to the mount. Used it to mow a few times and it seems to be working okay so far. Figured I would pass this along in case anyone needs to create pads for their old tractor. Best part is that if you can find an old set of car brake pads this is basically free; just cost me a few hours and a few dollars worth of epoxy and screws.

• DougT, Gtractor and Mark K have said thanks

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for sharing. Glad you got it fixed.

#9 jessie OFFLINE  

jessie
  • Member No: 65969
  • 11 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 10:16 AM

I have a broken brake band for a 1968 Jacobsen Chief 800.Trying to find one on e-bay and also brake drum.Any sites I could look up Thanks

#10 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Try http://www.drapertractorparts.com might be able to find something that will work or you could try tractor supply tisco break bands I know they sell the rivet on break lining