Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for making these , did the Garden Seeder  have any way to raise it for travel besides the depth adjustment on the side ?

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 03:55 AM

Thanks for making these , did the Garden Seeder  have any way to raise it for travel besides the depth adjustment on the side ?

No, it just has the depth adjustment via the slots on the side.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:25 AM

Very good :thumbs: wonderful, many thanks.

This and the others should be pinned on the DB section, moderators, could you help.

• boyscout862 and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:37 AM

Can upload the manuals for these? I can add it to the DB manuals I have on line.
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:35 AM

I did realizes there had been a manual found for the field planter.?.? The part you call the sword, is also known as the runner. On setting the depth adjust on the seeder, you would have lowered the seed hopper, via the 2 wing nuts, not by moving the runner. The runner part should stay bolted in the farthest up you can get it. On the later models the wing nuts were replaced with 2 hex shaped shafts, that had a roll pin though the end for a handle. Using a block of wood, under the wheel is the most common way to set the depth, but if you have lite soil or sand, it will plant deeper sometimes.  There were also a row marker that came with both units, but most got lost over the yrs. The seeder, along with its lid, also came with a small clip on brush that held small seeds like carrots, or radishes to the plate.  The fert attachments had a low survival, as its the nature of it to eat the metal up. I never liked the fert part setup, as it will held the seeder up off the ground and make the wheel stop turning. Most times I would use it first, without the seeder hopper on and then go back with the fert openers raised and plant the seed. The fert setup for a field plant should have a second knife or runner, so it put the fert either below or off to the side of the seed row. Pretty hard to find the fert for the field plant. I believe the field planter was mostly used by the southern boys(what plates did you get?) for cotton, peanuts, and those types of things, not found up north. Most of the times you find these units in a southern state, and probably replaced the single row horse drills that were common back then.

• MH81, Alc, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hope you don't mind , after watching the videos I thought I would bring one of the  DB Seeders Model 597-400-3908  down from the garage clean it and take some photos.  It has the fertilizer attachment so people can see what that looked like too.   I took a few pics and posted them on GTT a few years ago but this is the first time since I brought the Tri-Trac home 20 years ago that the seeder has been  out of the garage .Someone added sheet metal covers on the concave wheel (  anyone have an idea why ?)  Most parts appear to be the same as the walk behinds and the push models .  I thought it was intrusting that only the largest seed plates were flat , the ones for the the small seeds are stamped so the outer edge fits tight against the hopper .  The middle ones are concave. The inside of the hopper cover has a seed chart and there was part of another chart showing row and wheel spacing for the Tri-Trac but I'm not sure if and where it was on it , maybe the other hopper ? The little brush next to the cover is supposed to go inside the hopper, not  sure on the purpose of that is either .

Forgot the seed plates are from front  left to right A12, B12, C12, D12, E12, F12,G12 with the two hole plates right behind the 12 for each of their sizes A being for the smallest  there is also a J2  

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0842.JPG
  • DSCN0843.JPG
  • DSCN0844.JPG
  • DSCN0845.JPG
  • DSCN0846.JPG
  • DSCN0848.JPG
  • DSCN0849.JPG
  • DSCN0851.JPG
  • DSCN0853.JPG
  • DSCN0855.JPG

Edited by Alc, June 15, 2014 - 11:08 AM.

• MH81, trowel and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:42 AM

The seeder, along with its lid, also came with a small clip on brush that held small seeds like carrots, or radishes to the plate.

I was posting my pictures and while you answered my brush question .  Was the push types very common ?

• trowel said thank you

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:26 PM

I was posting my pictures and while you answered my brush question .  Was the push types very common ?

there were several push type unit made, some with steel pipe handles others with wooden ones. Tags you find one them are Garden

Master, Sears, David Bradley, and Simpson. Other than having a flat faced front wheel and the handles, theres no difference and all the parts will exchange with either a walk-behind unit or a 3pt unit. Lately, I've been following some guys who have found some of the units with Wheel Horse tagging, and setup for the hitch common to those tractors.  

• Alc, trowel and VSTROM803 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: david bradley