6 replies to this topic

#1 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 05:34 AM

I have three questions. I'm picking up a new-to-me Gravely L today that includes the gear reduction hubs and dual wheel adapters. The set of four tires included are old and need to be replaced . I plan on using it to mow an embankment on my property and would like to have the largest footprint on the ground.

1. Can I use the dual wheel adapters with the gear reduction hubs?

2. I have read that Gravely manufactured two different widths (one was 3/4" wider) of the dual width adapters. What are the widths? Is there an advantage to using 16x6.50-8 versus 4.80-8 tires?

3.Which would provide better traction on the slope? Carlisle Power Trac or Carlisle Stud 2?

Thanks,

John

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 05:54 AM

I dont think they made dual wheel adapters that fit the gear reduction  hubs. 

I cant really answer the other questions. I would suggest that before you takle the embankment, take some time on level ground to get used to it. If its a straight L (not LI or LS) you may want to use the gear reduction if possible. To me the L has two forward speeds, walk fast and run slow.

• shallowwatersailor and superaben have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Answers:

1   No.   The Gravely gear reduction setups that I've seen convert the 6 lug Gravely-only design to a MUCH more standard garden tractor 5 lug design.  You wouldn't be able to use the dual spacers that come with the tractor but it should be easy to find dual wheel adaptors for the 5 lug wheels on the gear reduction setup.  I know those 5 lug spacers are still being made today in the aftermarket. 

2   My dual spacers are 5 and 1/2 ".   I have 4.80-8 tires.  I assume the other width is wider for 16x6.50-8 tires? 

The only advantage's that come to mind about using the 4.80-8 tires is [possibly] cheaper to purchase and regular old car tire chains will fit perfectly over both tires - they just have to be cut down lengthwise.  If you will ever need tire chains that could be a cheap way to obtain some.  At auctions around here old tire chains can always be bought for $1.  If you have narrow rims designed for 4.80-8 tires, you will need to stay with that size. 

3   Carlisle Power Trac

Best of Luck!!!

Edited by Gtractor, June 14, 2014 - 06:57 AM.

• shallowwatersailor and superaben have said thanks

#4 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. The PO has the snow cannon attached and the gear reduction hubs mounted with snow blower-tread tires. Like I said, it is new to me.

The number plate is missing so I will need to count the axle revolutions to see if it is a L, LI, or LS. I am assuming that it is the more common L.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Get us some pictures if possible !

As for the standard tire, the older machines did specify a 4.00-4.80 x 8 for years.  The split rims were manufactured in two widths, though I can't remember the exact measurements right now.  If you have the narrower rim, you are limited to the 4.00 x 8 tires.  The wider rim will accept a 16x6.50x8 which is mostly what I am running on my tractors.  The dual wheel adapters I think were also manufactured in two widths, with the wider version being more friendly to use with the wider tires.  I know on my tractors, when I install the dual adapters the rims stand off from the adapter about 1/4 inch using twin 16x650x8 tires, but I just start the bolts and pull the rims up against the adapter.

downsize9.jpg

You can't see it from the picture, but the dual tires do stick out slightly beyond the normal 30 inch brush deck.  However, they do work well behind the 40 inch deck.

#6 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Got it home and it is a standard L with the faster gearing. I split the snow cannon off already to make it easier to wheel around, and installed studs that I had. The PO used a 1/2" drill to start it so I went to HF for one. NOT SO GOOD! Will a slow geared drill spin fast enough? I can't spin it with the rope fast enough and get past the compression stroke. What I need is the electric start.

The last shot is where I intend to work it. And yes I intend to paint it.

DSCF9868.JPG DSCF9869.JPG DSCF9870.JPG DSCF9871.JPG

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Looks great!

I've never seen 8 inch rims/tires with the gear reduction setup.  Above I was refering to the 400-12 tires on the reduction units that i've seen.    I wonder if thats someones home brewed wheel/tire conversion?   If it is I bet thats one slow tractor which it probably need to be for the snow cannon. 

:thumbs: