Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Lindsay Briggs And Stratton Gas Powered Antique Air Comressor - $1000 (Westerly Ri)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:26 PM

All i can say is, WOW!!...

http://worcester.cra...4501075487.html

Attached Thumbnails

• lindsay_1920's.jpg

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#2 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• Member No: 2691
  • 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hahahahaha! No lie, this is what I just emailed him:
"$1000 firm? You might as well roll that piece of sh-+ back into the barn because it ain't going nowhere."
Lol!

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Er, grnlark, oh boy, im not sure what to say.

That's Lindsay's first compressors ever made,...the Briggs engine is very special, the compressor pump is a casted part of the engine block, Briggs casted these engines specifically only for Lindsay, Briggs never casted a engine/compressor combo ever again after the 1940's.

Very rare, there is a guy not far from you in CT who restored one very similar to this one.

I hope he reduces the price, you may have helped, ...i hope.

• Bolens 1000, Nato77 and superaben have said thanks

#4 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I hope you can get it. That would be something to have for sure. I wish he would've taken more and better pics of it. Very interesting setup.
  • trowel and superaben have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:56 PM

That is one rare piece, but probably only a few of the folks who will see the ad will understand it.  I had a guy ask for parts for one a while back up in Rhode Island.  I wonder if this was the guy?

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 and trowel have said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 05:25 AM

That is one rare piece, but probably only a few of the folks who will see the ad will understand it.  I had a guy ask for parts for one a while back up in Rhode Island.  I wonder if this was the guy?

Ben W.

I'll bet it is but there are a few around here on the East Coast, Lindsay's plant was in New Hampshire, around an hour from me near the coast so this is a small hot spot for them.

grnlark, i understand how you feel, i don't mean to shoot you down, i am a bit pissed off too, this is going to sit on CL for a very long time, as Ben said, not very many people here know these kinds of compressor/engine combos very well, it would be something for the guys on SmokStak, regardless to it's rarity or the sob story the seller has up he obviously knows what he has and what it is worth and is selling it at a very profitable antique price, i hope the email you sent him will help reduce the price to a more reasonable sane level in a effort to preserve a part of American history.

#7 grnlark OFFLINE  

grnlark

• Member No: 2691
  • 330 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:14 AM

I think its just the "firm" that annoys me. If you're going to ask full retail price with no willingness to negotiate then Craigslist is not your venue. Everyone aims for the stars initially, but be realistic and be willing to scale back to reality.

Edited by grnlark, June 14, 2014 - 06:14 AM.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:41 AM

I know how you feel.

Do you remember the Locke reel mower craze 5-6 years ago ? it was scorching hot in your area for a while, then the fire burned down and there is a bunch for very cheap on CT CL right now, even running Triplexes with the sulky, bottom fell out, popularity is over for the most part.

Edited by trowel, June 14, 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,805 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:47 AM

They don't always come down. There has been an old Ford tractor with FEL that was $3500 last fall and now he went up to $3700. It is UGLY and I think way over priced. Just no limit to what people will do. Good Luck, Rick

• trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 07:03 AM

The stubborn few, i gess he really does not want to sell it then much less see reality as it is, that seems to be a huge problem here in Western Ma, one guy in the next two towns from me has been trying to sell a Emglo electric air compressor for going on 4 years, every year every month he re-post it, it is not rare or holds any value, matter of fact that model got a bad rep for being too small when someone can spend about the same price and get a gas powered one.

Just sold my Troy Bilt chipper/shredder at ''moving'' price the other day, did i profit from this, nope, but i got what i needed from it, no real value to it except it being very well built for what it is compared with now days junk and someone is getting some use out of it instead of sitting there year after year rotting away.