• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 10:54 AM

I read reviews on the big box store migs.  At that time the conclusion was you had to spend $600 for a machine you would be happy with. I spoke to welding shop who informed me the Lincolns at the big box stores are a completely different animal to what the welding shops sell. Quality is the difference. I ended up buying a Air Liquide M130. Its a 110 volt I have had 15 years now. Excellent machine to serve my purpose. The Linde is for the rare occasion I weld over 1/4" thick metal.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0783.JPG

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,035 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 06:23 PM

I read reviews on the big box store migs.  At that time the conclusion was you had to spend $600 for a machine you would be happy with. I spoke to welding shop who informed me the Lincolns at the big box stores are a completely different animal to what the welding shops sell. Quality is the difference. I ended up buying a Air Liquide M130. Its a 110 volt I have had 15 years now. Excellent machine to serve my purpose. The Linde is for the rare occasion I weld over 1/4" thick metal.

Nice setup, Jazz! I like the projects around your shop and the "pressure plate" light stand! What is the ride back there? Something in that pic got me wanting to go buy a bottle of Crown----it's been awhile!

DAC

#18 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 02:11 AM

A couple years back I was shopping in a discount store that sells over stock items and returns to major stores. Much of the stuff is returns from Costco. They also get returns from other stores including Harbor Freight. I found there HF's cheapest inersheild welder. It seamed complete except for lacking wire, and the only wanted 15$. I had seen the same machine many times on sail at HF for 85$ and passed it up as junk. For 15 ill try it. Bought some wire and tips at HF on the way home. At home I had just gotten my small Lincoln motor generator mounted on a cart and wanted to build a water shedding cover for it. I scrapped an old washing machine casing for the steel sheeting and welded it together with the HF welder. It did all right. I have burnt 2 spools of HF wire with it, The last wire i bought was Hobart 25 lb spool. Had to wind it on the smaller HF spool to use it. The Hobart made the machine work much better. The machine has been worth every bit of the 15$ + tax I paid. I have welded 1/4" with it. any thing thicker would take a lot of preheat. Being 120V it is extremely handy for small quick jobs, if life and limb depended on the welds I would opt out. the smallest Lincoln is about 10 times the machine, It is a DC output machine where the HF is AC. DC puts more of the heat into the work and creates much less spatter. They used to sell Century welders at Shucks Auto. I used one of them and it worked great. I was told they were made by Lincoln. I don't know if they are still around. While you are looking for information remember. If you lock three welders in a room and tell them to talk something out they will starve before the agree on a free lunch. Good luck   Don in Washington.                

#19 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted June 28, 2016 - 02:18 AM

Just googled Century Welder and came up with Home depot. I suggest you check them out and compare.      Don