• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:39 AM

I did a search but nothing here on the Eastwood Welders anyone own one. I have used my Lincoln 225 welder for years & any small thin welding I get a friend to weld for me. Since I'm into GT's now & not just making sawdust I think it's time for a Mig. I know Miller, Hobart & a few others are the kings but since I wouldn't be using this full time as a business I have been looking at the Migs from Eastwood. I have bought a few things from them & have been satisfied. I don't put much confidence in customers reviews & would rather hear un biased opinions. TSC has their Hobarts on sale sometime & I have been tempted with the 140. Here are links to the three I like

http://www.eastwood....35a-output.html

http://www.eastwood....-spool-gun.html

http://www.tractorsu...-140-mig-welder

I'm not sure I need the bigger one because like I said I got the Lincoln for the heavy stuff. The only reason I would like the 175 from Eastwood it has a spool gun for aluminum but I don't think I would be needing that much besides it's probably made on the cheap side. My thoughts are the money saved could be applied to a gas tank. The EW 135 would be convenient being 110 but when I think of a welder 220 would be better. Any thoughts appreciated on the Eastwood. Thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 10:08 AM

I think KennyP has a Handler 140. Judging by all the projects he tackles it seems to be a pretty capable welder and maybe it's more then you need if you have the stick setup for the heavy work.

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 11:28 AM

I see the small MIGs on CL often. I bought a Lincoln SP150 about 25 years ago. It has been great but was expensive. Take your time and shop around. Good Luck, Rick

• MFDAC, HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 01:49 PM

Sorry, I can't help with the eastwood stuff but I can give you reviews of the others... My dad has a Hobart Handler 140 and I've got a Lincoln 140, Both are good enough welders but i prefer my Lincoln. It has no problem laying a nice bead with 1/4" Anything over that and it's pushing its limit.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 03:02 PM

I'am with twostep--Iknow nothing about eastwoods welders and and I wounder what kind of customer support they have.Hobart and Lincoln make very good machines.Have a Lincoln that I bought in 95 and never any problems with it.

As far as spool gun,I tryed my friends once and it sucked he also cound not make it work right,glad it wasn't my money. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I would get atleast a 220 machine. I think you are going to make the MIG your goto welder for most of the stuff. Most folks I have talked to that have a stick and MIG always end up using the mig more. Its a convenience thing, grab helmet, set dials, pull trigger.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Had Lincoln once and could weld easy, had gas on it.  Got a Hobart later, didn't ever get the gas and hated it. Couldn't weld with it. I think the gas would have made t he diff tho. First one was a CLARKE, chinese junk and poor gun and feed rollers. One thing about a 110 machine is you can go anywhere with it and plug in. A 220 is only good as long as you are around that outlet. I'm sure it probly takes an odd high amp plug and not many people are gonna have that around. Would even have to be used near that outlet even in your shop, or very long ext cords, which are not recommended to get out into driveway as example. It's only tin you wanna weld, don't take much amperage for that.  Eastwood sometimes has nice stuff, but seem about 50% overpriced for the same thing at other stores and catalogs. I'ld find out who makes them for them, they make nothing themselves.

• Sawdust and Bill 76 have said thanks

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:44 PM

I have a Miller AC/DC stick, a Miller 175 mig and a Lincoln 250 gas powered welder and love all three. The only 110 v mig I've tried was a Miller 135. It was OK but I'd already been spoiled by the 175 mig. As for the Eastwood I'd tell myself what I always say when I buy something from HF, "Remember what ya paid for this so when it breaks ya won't get quite as angry about it", LOL!! I've bought a lot of HF items, some good some bad, but I always tell myself that.
Mike
  • boyscout862, Sawdust and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 07:44 AM

For the most part the only reason I've ever (and still do) wanted a 220 welder was simply because they are usually larger units with better controls. The larger 120V units amp settings are as adjustable, meaning they have preset amperage levels instead of a infinitely variable dial.

But for hacking around on an old GT or my jeep... I'm happy with my choice.

Attached Thumbnails

• Welder stand.jpg

Edited by twostep, June 16, 2014 - 07:45 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:32 PM

I did a search but nothing here on the Eastwood Welders anyone own one. I have used my Lincoln 225 welder for years & any small thin welding I get a friend to weld for me. Since I'm into GT's now & not just making sawdust I think it's time for a Mig. I know Miller, Hobart & a few others are the kings but since I wouldn't be using this full time as a business I have been looking at the Migs from Eastwood. I have bought a few things from them & have been satisfied. I don't put much confidence in customers reviews & would rather hear un biased opinions. TSC has their Hobarts on sale sometime & I have been tempted with the 140. Here are links to the three I like

http://www.eastwood....35a-output.html

http://www.eastwood....-spool-gun.html

http://www.tractorsu...-140-mig-welder

I'm not sure I need the bigger one because like I said I got the Lincoln for the heavy stuff. The only reason I would like the 175 from Eastwood it has a spool gun for aluminum but I don't think I would be needing that much besides it's probably made on the cheap side. My thoughts are the money saved could be applied to a gas tank. The EW 135 would be convenient being 110 but when I think of a welder 220 would be better. Any thoughts appreciated on the Eastwood. Thanks

I can't help with Eastwood. I wonder what company manufactures them? I think that you're right thinking a 220 welder may be better but I don't know why except for experience. My Lincoln Weldpack 155 amp is 220 volt and welds way better than a much newer 110v Lincoln 160 amp we have at work. Both use gas.

I see the small MIGs on CL often. I bought a Lincoln SP150 about 25 years ago. It has been great but was expensive. Take your time and shop around. Good Luck, Rick

I got mine on CL for $275 but it was flux core. Welded with it for many years with good results but a year or so ago I decided it was time to go to gas. I bought a gas solenoid on ebay buy it now for 13 bucks shipped, HF gauges under 40 shipped and gas nozzle and some rolls of wire for under $20 locally. Besides the tank lease from a welding supply company I was welding with gas for under 90 bucks more than my purchase price. I love the way it now works and liked it before!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• welder 6-16-14 001.jpg
  • welder 6-16-14 002.jpg
  • welder 6-16-14 003.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, June 16, 2014 - 09:33 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, sacsr, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Little late on this one. I bought a Hobart Handler 125 and really like it. I only have 110 in my garage and did not want to rewire at this time. Our local True Value selles the Eastwood welder and all the reviews I have found are positive.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Well reluctantly & sadly to say I pulled the trigger on this Eastwood 135 Mig. Got the first one about three weeks ago couldn't get the wire to feed out of the machine. After several times trying I noticed the plug for the gun hose was way off center not allowing the wire to get inside the gun hose. Called the next day & the young lady was very polite & concerned. She first told me she would send me a new driver then I explained what my problem was not the driver but the misalignment in the cabinet. They sent Fedex to pick up the welder...shipment on them.

Eastwood welder2.jpg Eastwood welder6.jpg Eastwood welder7.jpg Eastwood welder8.jpg

About two days later I get an email from EW telling me the driver is on back order for two weeks. I called once again & explained I don't need a driver I want a new welder. The lady once again very pleasant & concerned told me she would ship out a new one.

The new one came a few days later. Right out of the box I noticed the driver housing was cracked where the driver wheel shaft comes through the housing. I figured not right but it should still weld. I set it up for flux core & welded a few beads...worked real good surprised until the wire jammed & wouldn't feed. I cut the wire off & pulled it out of the hose & tried again, same thing welded good for a little longer then once again wire stopped feeding. I tried three times same thing then gave up.

Eastwood welder9.jpg

I went online & apparently something happened between now & a couple of years ago. I noticed a lot of people recently have had trouble with the driver & wire feed jamming. I called the next day & explain I've had enough & I want a full refund. They were again very pleasant to deal with & said I would be refunded except the first shipping of $21. that I paid when I first ordered. I fussed for awhile about the shipping & was told that was standard procedure.

Once I get refunded I'm going to make some calls. I just don't see how I should be inconvenienced for three weeks of trying to get a good welder then it costs me $21.  Several things I noticed, the driver mechanism was very cheap mostly plastic, the cabinet that you see was a little crooked bolted to the frame, a dent in the handle & the ground clamp was junk. I know this welder only costed $279. but it really wasn't worth that. I have ordered other things from EW but I'm very disappointed in them keeping my shipping costs more than I am about the welder.

I still think I would like a 110 small Mig because of it's portability & using my Lincoln stick welder for the heavy stuff. I will definitely go with maybe a Hobart 140 or a Lincoln, these are normally around $450.- 500. Hope this helps someone in not making the same mistake I did.

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 07:27 PM

I'm very happy with my Hobart 140! No issues at all! Had it about 15 years now.

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 10:44 PM

I had a 110v Linclon flux core welder for many years. Liked it a lot for a light weight easy to move welder. A friend with a welding business wanted it and traded a 220v MillerMatic 150. There is a huge difference in them. The arc is much smoother with the Miller and it can be run at lower settings. Never have to worry about it overheating. 

If you do go with the 110v welder, I can't suggest enough that you get a brand name machine. 10 years down the road you will still be able to find parts and support for it. Also the resale is much better.

If your only going to use it for one project then the others will probably do OK. 

Edited by Cvans, May 20, 2016 - 10:46 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 06:01 AM

Sorry this machine turned out to be pos . There's a welding shop near work that sells Miller but also sells a off shore cheaper line . They have a area set aside for people to try out machines before they buy . Maybe there's a place like that near you ? This way if you find a welder you can test YOUR welder before taking it home .

Edited by Alc, May 21, 2016 - 06:02 AM.

• Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks