#1 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hi Guys...I have an opportunity to buy this Cub Cadet Model 169, Runs Good, with original 16 HP engine, 50 inch Mower deck and Snow[Plow. for $400.00 Is that a good price? I've heard these 169s are collectible because they were one of the last Big Frame Cadets and there was a Short Run on them. I realy know Nothing Else about them at all. Are they equal or better than a Sears Suburban SS16 ? (What a stupid question to ask Cub Guys!) Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, DanO'

Attached Thumbnails

• Cadet 169.jpg
  • Cub cadet 169.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 09:19 AM

I think $400 is a great price myself. I would possibly rate the drivetrain higher than the SS16, but due to the SS having Hi-Lo range, I'd call it almost a draw. The final drive of the Cub is definitely stronger, but then the Sears transaxle is tough as nails too. I do however think the shaft drive of the Cub makes it a slight nod above the SS. Never seen a 169 in my neck of the woods.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 09:40 AM

I say jump on it especially for that price and in running condition. You hardly ever see the 169's for sale either.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Yes,I would grab that if I were you,good deal.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:25 PM

It's unanimous so far. I agree. I'd get it.

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:08 PM

I'd say you should latch onto it. The 169 is kind of a rare bird with not many of them built. I found a 169 and bought it to resell. I had some Cub Cadet attachments and then found a 169 for $300.00 to put together a package deal. The tractor, mower deck, snowblower and a IH trailer and I got $1300 for it in original running condition and the guy was happy as a clam over it. As far as to which is the better tractor I would rate them about the same. The tie would go to which type of tranny you wanted ( gear vs hydro ) and if you want hydraulic lift. The 169 I bought had the ported hydro in it and had hydraulic lift for the attachments.
I have a SS16 with a loader on it and it is quite amazing what you can do with it. I don't think you could go wrong with either tractor, both are work horses!

#7 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the Green Light on this Guys, I'll have to trust your judgement because i know nothing about Cub Cadets , YET.... Here's a couple of more pics of her...the Mower deck has quite a bit of heavy surface rust but the bearings are good, I think, won't realy know til she's hook up and spinning under pressure. But if you look close you can see the original IH Decal on the Deck. Thought that was a good sign? Hope to get it home asap and will do a walk around video of her, post it on You Tube & here.
Thanks again for the advice, I realy appreciate it very much, DanO'

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub 1.jpg
  • Cub 2.jpg
  • 169 deck.jpg

#8 vg2724 OFFLINE  

vg2724

• Member No: 1770
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 06:28 PM

I'm in Putnam NY. I will give you $500 for it without the mower or snow plow. So yea it's a good deal.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Congrats on your new addition!
Hope to see the walk around soon.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 06:44 PM

You definitely got a good deal. As for the mower deck it looks like it is mainly cosmetic surface rust. I would clean the rust off and make sure there are no pin holes though and if there are patch them. I don't think you will find any though.

You will love the hydro on the Cub the more and more you use it. The only times I don't care for it is when trying to video while driving the tractor around LOL. Makes it a little difficult.

#11 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 04:30 PM

Been watching this.... This is the second time this Cadet 169 was listed, & bided over $1,000 and Did Not reach the Reserve.
Guess I got a good deal For $400
I haven't been able to get her home yet due to the weather, Hopefully this weekend.

Click on Thumb Nail To see Whole listing

Item number: 180617249426
Posted Image
Please wait
Image not available

Posted Image

RARE CUB CADET 169 TRACTOR

Item condition:UsedEnded:Feb 01, 201118:51:53 PSTCurrent bid:US $1,125.00 [ 19 bids ]Reserve pricenot met

Edited by DanO, February 03, 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#12 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Well Guys Here she is. I must admit I honestly know NOTHING about this tractor at all, i never owned a Cub and I never Owned a Hydro before either. Being a Farmall Super A Owner, I just allways wanted a IH Cadet.
So I'm eager to learn from whoever cares to offer any knowledge about this tractor to me. I've allready joined 2 of IH Cub Cadet sites and hope to get some tips there as well. Anyway here's a couple of pics and the first walk around video. Battery was dead, so she wouldn't start for the video but it runs perfect. The fellow who owned it was a Cub cadet collector and the engine was rebuilt about 3 years ago. Also have a 50 inch mower deck.

Walk around video 2/13
YouTube - International Harvester Cub Cadet 169

Follow Up Video added 2/14

Attached Thumbnails

• cub3.jpg
  • Cub1.jpg
  • Cub2.jpg

Edited by DanO, February 14, 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#13 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 10:40 PM

I think you made a heck of a good deal, and I bet you fall in love with it! Those Cub Cadets are built like small tanks, that's why they are still around. Once you dig into it (if you're like me, you'll want to drain, inspect, and refill the hydro/rear end just to know it's been done), you'll see how beefy they are. Good luck with it! I have an older Model 123 that I really like.

BTW, spent some time as a kid in the Kingston and Phoenicia area. Stayed at a place called Lazy Meadows on Rt. 28. What a beautiful area!

#14 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 14, 2011 - 03:42 PM

I think you made a heck of a good deal, and I bet you fall in love with it! Those Cub Cadets are built like small tanks, that's why they are still around. Once you dig into it (if you're like me, you'll want to drain, inspect, and refill the hydro/rear end just to know it's been done), you'll see how beefy they are. Good luck with it! I have an older Model 123 that I really like.

BTW, spent some time as a kid in the Kingston and Phoenicia area. Stayed at a place called Lazy Meadows on Rt. 28. What a beautiful area!

Thanks, Yes it is realy Beautiful Up Here, I'm about 30miles SE of Kingston, In The Shawanagunk Mnts., "The Foothills of the Catskills"

#15 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 12:16 AM

169's are awesome tractors. i had the pleasure of getting one running and mowing with it recently. guy i do the work for is selling it. he wants 800 bucks, which isnt a bad deal really. it runs great and has a solid 50 deck. the tractor is also in nice condition, little to no rust. i would love to buy it but i cant justify 800 bucks, and i already have a 147 and a 124 project tractor. if someone asked me if it was a nice tractor, yes its a very nice tractor. one of the best. last wide frame before the '82 series. 400 bucks is a steal for a 169. glad you bought it, you will love it. also, dont take that hydraulic lift for granted, it is a very nice feature. i have to deal with electric lift on my 147, which i dont like(the lift, love the tractor). having that removable tunnel over the transmission linkage, also a very nice wide frame feature that the narrow frames dont have