• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clubmike OFFLINE  

Clubmike
  • Member No: 58034
  • 23 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 03:02 PM

My cub 129 threw the pto belt off and it looked pretty beat up so I installed a new belt. It was an OEM belt. At first I could not get the pto to engage, then I keep playing with the turnbuckle and got it to engage.

Off I went mowing and other yard work, all of a sudden I smell smoke and and the next thing you know my pto belt which was disengaged at the time burned up.

So I read up on adjusting the turnbuckle and went out and got a new belt but now I cannot get the pto to engage.

I can reach down and turn the pulley which turns the deck, but when I engage the pto with its lever, nothing happens.

If I open the turn buckle too much the pto brake disc drops out, so I went over everything again and I found that the PTO brake disc is supposed to have a wave washer and snap ring. Both of these are missing. Would that cause the PTO not to engage?

Any ideas.

thanks

Edited by Clubmike, June 13, 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#2 cubx4 OFFLINE  

cubx4
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 58987
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Yes sir. Replace and re-adjust tensioner nut.

#3 Clubmike OFFLINE  

Clubmike
  • Member No: 58034
  • 23 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Ok, this is what I found, I ordered the rebuild kit for the PTO clutch and I was surprised at how easy it was to remove the PTO from the engine. I removed the 6 set screws and pulled it off by hand. The guy on the video worked his butt off getting his off. I was not looking forward to removing the PTO from the engine shaft, however it went smooth, real smooth. The fiber cog disk looking thing was in pieces, I guess for this to work it needs to be in one piece.

I rebuilt the PTO and re-installed it and I just got down mowing the backyard. I learned a lot (mostly from you tube) during this experience. The PTO now engages and dis-engages properly.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Glad it all worked out for you. Good to know that those symptoms are correctable.