• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2broke2ride OFFLINE  

2broke2ride
  • Member No: 58083
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Ok, her goes......... My grandfather bought this YT16 brand new a year or so before he died, I want to say it's around an 86. It has the briggs opposed twin 16hp and 48" deck. I mowed a lot of lawn with this mower as a teenager growng up and remember it running really well and cutting good. Fastforward to today, I'm 33 years old and my father still mows his lawn with this same mower but he complains that it lacks power. My question is, is there a quick and dirty adjustment for the governer? I'm an auto mechanic and to my ear it just doesn't sound like it's reving out like it should. (I don't have a tach to verify) you get in thick grass and it will lug the engine right down, you end up having to mow in 1st or 2nd. (I remember as a kid mowing in 3rd and 4th and not having any trouble) As a side note, I rebuilt the carb two years ago with no improvement. also put a new coil on it for a different problem and just this year replaced all the belts and deck bearings and dad sharpens the blades at least yearly or as needed (he has to keep them sharp or it really doesnt cut well). It runs well and on both cylinders, it uses no oil to speak of it just seems to really be lacking power.Any help is appreciated.

Edited by 2broke2ride, June 11, 2014 - 09:28 PM.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'd suspect the carb and fuel system, the filter or fuel lines may be plugged. The ethanol can swell the inside of fuel lines and restrict flow.  Next, I'd remove the top engine tin and make sure there is no mouse nest. I worked on a YT16 years ago that the mice had stripped some insulation on the plug wires causing a short. They may have caused something to interfere with the carb or gov. Do all tuneup work before touching the governor. The governor is usually more of a symptom than a cause of problems. You can download some good B&S manuals from out Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Maybe it's just getting tired.

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 03:58 PM

After about 24 years of running, compression could be down. A compression check may help figure things out.  Noel

#5 2broke2ride OFFLINE  

2broke2ride
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 04:37 PM

Fuel lines are tygon, new two years ago, filter is changed yearly, cooling shrouds get removed once a year for a thorough cleaning and get blown out at least a half dozen times during mowing season. As far as being worn out, the compression was 115 on the right and 120 on the left when I checked it last year. Also this mower has spent about 14 years in dry storage while my parents where between houses (renting, long story) so it hasn't been run all of those 24 years. This problem has been ongoing for about three years now, hasn't gotten better or worse. To me it really seems like it is not making the rpm that it should, I think I will try to find a tach that will work on a twin and see what peak rpm really is. I wish the carb was in a better spot so I could see the governor linkage while I'm running the mower, my power king is very easy to observe right from the seat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Oh , I understand. Maybe the throttle cable has moved and not going to full on the carb. A vibration tach work well on any engine. Small engine shop should have one. Noel
  • Alc said thank you

#7 2broke2ride OFFLINE  

2broke2ride
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Oh , I understand. Maybe the throttle cable has moved and not going to full on the carb. A vibration tach work well on any engine. Small engine shop should have one. Noel

Actually, now that you mention it, I've replaced the throttle cable too and attempted to re-adjust it numerous times for this issue LOL we've done so much to this mower it's hard for me to remember everything all at once........ I've also replaced the ignition switch :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 02:31 PM

Governors don't normally get out of adjustment. Need to find out rpm at full throttle with no load is.  Most small engines top rpm is 3600, but make sure to find out for sure what it is suppose to be. There should be an adjustment for top speed some where. There maybe settings for sensitivity on the governor rod for more or less sensitive response. Was a governor rod put back in the wrong place when carb was done?  Noel 

Edited by propane1, June 13, 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#9 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Ok, her goes......... My grandfather bought this YT16 brand new a year or so before he died, I want to say it's around an 86. It has the briggs opposed twin 16hp and 48" deck. I mowed a lot of lawn with this mower as a teenager growng up and remember it running really well and cutting good. Fastforward to today, I'm 33 years old and my father still mows his lawn with this same mower but he complains that it lacks power. My question is, is there a quick and dirty adjustment for the governer? I'm an auto mechanic and to my ear it just doesn't sound like it's reving out like it should. (I don't have a tach to verify) you get in thick grass and it will lug the engine right down, you end up having to mow in 1st or 2nd. (I remember as a kid mowing in 3rd and 4th and not having any trouble) As a side note, I rebuilt the carb two years ago with no improvement. also put a new coil on it for a different problem and just this year replaced all the belts and deck bearings and dad sharpens the blades at least yearly or as needed (he has to keep them sharp or it really doesnt cut well). It runs well and on both cylinders, it uses no oil to speak of it just seems to really be lacking power.Any help is appreciated.

I have owned one of these engines in another brand tractor in the past, and liked them, but I also know they have some quirks. The first thing I would look at is the fuel pump, it's diaphragms are probably dried out from sitting so many years. The second known problem with these engines is the exhaust valve seat's breaking loose. Yes, it will run, but will not have any power. Most times when a seat breaks free you can hear it tapping, but NOT always. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Edited by stiemmy, June 15, 2014 - 09:05 AM.

• propane1 said thank you

#10 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Here is some info from a 2001 and 1989 technical update seminar by from Briggs and Stratton
Low power flow chart and Systematically troubleshooting twin cyl. engines.
Attached File  low power.PDF   1.25MB   41 downloads
  • propane1 said thank you