coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Like most everybody here, if you spend time outside you will get ticks. Its a daily occurrence in my life to find one or two crawling about or attached. Last wednesday I found one attached and removed it. Thursday it looked like a hickey. I thought "Gee thats different better watch it". Friday the hickey had subsided to a yellow patch with a red ring. Out of the thousands of ticks I have removed this is the only one that did something really weird so I figured I needed to head on to the Doctors. I went Saturday morning and a young PA comes in the room. She talked alot and seemed to think that I had just left a piece of the tick embedded in there.  I finally had to make her see things my way (this is stranger than normal so lets assume I have a tick borne illness). She gave me a prescription and drew blood for testing. I received the results today that I tested positive for Rocky mountain spotted fever.

Luckily since I insisted on starting the antibiotics early (3-4 days of start of infection) i did not develop the normal symptoms. I have some achyness but nothing debilitating. If I would not have insisted on the antibiotics,I would have had to wait on those major symptoms and a more aggressive treatment.

What I am trying to pass on, is that you know your body and just because the person you are talking to is some form of medical professional doesnt mean that they cant make mistakes. If you know something isnt right be persistent. 

• olcowhand, daytime dave, DougT and 17 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Good for you. I agree, if they aren't taking the time to listen, get between them and the door.
  • coldone, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yup, you have to hold your own with those who are much, much smarter than you. 

In their minds only.  :D

Ben W.

• coldone and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:18 PM

I thought that red ring was a tell tale symptom.

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Usually that red ring is associated with Lyme disease and it is usually treated with a god anti biotic like penicillin.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Yesterday evening while I was sitting here reading all the happenings on the GT forums, I felt something on my arm.....There was a tick crawling up my arm and I hadn't been outside since showering.

I felt like things crawling all over me after that!

• coldone, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I hope it passes quick now that you got it early, we all have to be careful, including our animals.

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Thanks everybody.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Ugh. We NEVER had ticks here in NH when I was a kid. I used to play in the woods, roll around in the high grass, and never even saw one until maybe 20 years ago. Now they are all over the place.

The wood ticks are bigger and easier to see but are not as dangerous as the little deer ticks. 

I spent about 3 hours mowing my neighbor's field on the Suburban this weekend. That night I found a wood tick crawling on my belly then later that night had to detach one that had latched on to my most private of private areas...   :wtf:

And yes, I felt like they were crawling on me for like a day afterward. Nasty. 

• coldone, trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,850 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 01:06 AM

"No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority" Robert A Heinlein. Most doctors know the theory just fine, but have never experienced the condition they are treating, and you certainly know your own body and how it reacts better than they do. Good for you to have insisted. Lets hope the doctor learned something.
  • coldone, trowel and HDWildBill have said thanks

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 04:45 AM

"No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority" Robert A Heinlein. Most doctors know the theory just fine, but have never experienced the condition they are treating, and you certainly know your own body and how it reacts better than they do. Good for you to have insisted. Lets hope the doctor learned something.

They are human too???  Maybe that's why they 'practice' medicine!!

• coldone, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 06:36 AM

I hope that you heal soon and completely. Our incompetent local hospital let a man die because they couldn't figure out that he had RMSF until after he was already dead.

I'm in eastern CT where the Lymes' Disease is very common. Lyme is a town on the coast. Off the coast is Plum Island where the disease was developed as a germ warfare weapon in the 50s. The government didn't think it could survive on its own in the wild so they were slack about security. The guess is that birds brought it to the mainland where it figured out a lifecycle involving deer and deer ticks. We now have 4 known variations. Many pets and farm animals around here have died because of these diseases. My wife and I have each had it twice. It killed our three Newfies. It damaged an 11 year old boy down the road. 

If you are on antibiotics for these diseases, you must take the entire course of treatment which should be 6 weeks. The darned bacteria can go dormant for 4 weeks where it is not affected by the antibiotics. Some antibiotics require that you stay out of sunlight, the sun greatly reduces the effectiveness of the antibiotic so pay attention. Long term suffering from these diseases can cause arthritis, agonizing headaches(been there), vision loss, organ damage, and it can get into your brain. The original Lyme disease bactrium seems to be a close relative of syphalis.

The best things to prevent these diseases is wear repellant, when you come in from outside, immediately throw all your clothes directly into the washer and take a long hot soapy shower using your fingers to inspect everywhere.

BTW Oo-v-oO that is where they prefer. It was scary then but kind of funny now: after a week in the field our platoon was back in the barracks. The first guy into the shower starts screaming his head off. He had 7 attached to his favorite organ. One guy offered to get a knife and cut it off for him. I volunteered for a detail just to get away from there and took my shower an hour later when it was all over.

Please be carefull people. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, coldone, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 06:37 AM

With all the new crap affecting our bodies all they can do is "practice".

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 06:43 AM

Just remember, half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class!

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:55 AM

To be fair to the doctors, the government and especially the drug companies lie to them about many diseases. On top of that, the insurances companies would rather that you just died so that they don't have to pay for your care. I think that all health insurance should include a hefty life insurance so that the insurance companies have an incentive to take good care of you.

Despite all of the recent negative publicity, I prefer the VA. I've been in the system for over 15 years and have recieved excellant care. My wife is also a vet and she has had 5 major surgeries in the past 14 years. Her care has been very good but there was a post op infection from the last one in West Haven, CT. That is probably the fault of the cleaning crew.

Be careful everyone. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, coldone, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks