Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Getting Frustrated With The B12

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:57 AM

Something doesn't sound right to me either. Without the ridge on the inside of the keeper, what's going to keep it from coming off the end of the valve? It's been awhile since I've had one of those down but i'm thinking they had the ridge. Is there any sign that there was a ridge and its worn down?

I'll have to give them a closer look next time I get a few moments.  That will be a couple of days the way this week is going.  I've never seen these without the ridge but I just thought it was the way briggs made them.

#17 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 37 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 11:26 AM

I rely on Valve spring compressors also, couldn't do it otherwise.

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 04:19 PM

FINALLY!  I got two of these little buggers in!  The intake valve is done.  I went out to look and see if these keepers had a ridge as Doug stated.  Well they don't.  They are tapered but smooth inside.  So I got to thinking about things and decided to pull the valve out and see what's what.  Glad I did.  The groove in the valve stem is big enough to take the whole keeper which is why the keeper doesn't need a ridge.  After seeing that I put grease in the groove and put the valve back in.  Then got my valve spring tool and cranked it up.  Took needle nose pliers and got the first one in the groove.  I released the valve spring tool and turned the valve 180 degrees, then put the tool back on.  Got the second keeper in and let the spring back down.  BOOM, done.  It does help to have an understanding of things.  There are no adjusters on these valve tappets so it will be some time before I get the other one in.  I'll have to grind, measure, repeat.  After that, this beast should fire right up.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you