Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Getting Frustrated With The B12

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 04:42 PM

I got a small magnet last night and was able to retrieve the valve spring keeper that fell into the engine block of the B12 in a matter of minutes.  That's the good news.  The bad news is, I can't seem to get these keepers back on.  I always have problems with these things but these ones are unusually stubborn.  So I ask, what is your secret for getting these keepers back on the valve without going insane?  I already put a small amount of grease on the inside so they stick when I get them in place.  I just can't get the first one into place and get it turned enough to get the second one in.  Looks like it's time for some more hillbilly engineering.  See if I can come up with a tool to install these things.  So tell me, what's your secret?

Edited by David Brown, June 11, 2014 - 07:51 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:06 PM

I fight and fight with them, then I swear a lot.
the grease trick is a good one, so is a magnet on some of them.
I have a big screwdriver I stick a magnet to the side of and when I want it to release, I pull the magnet off.
  • trowel and David Brown have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Special tools!

Valve spring compressors are great in this application.  They really can save a lot of frustration.  They are expensive but they are worth every penny.  It'll make the airwaves cleaner and your energy level increase every day you mess with valves. 

I sell a good C clamp screw down style for $42.  My copy has worked its life away and earned its keep. 

Ben W.

• trowel, David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Lots of time and patience, I have found a screw driver with a magnetic end is rally handy, put a dab of grease on the end of the screwdriver.  The keepers will not go straight in, you will need to put them up in, push the keeper into the bottom of the valve then push up on the keeper till it snaps into place then do the same on the other side.  My father gets me every time he has to put them together.  good luck!

Pete

• trowel and David Brown have said thanks

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Special tools!

Valve spring compressors are great in this application.  They really can save a lot of frustration.  They are expensive but they are worth every penny.  It'll make the airwaves cleaner and your energy level increase every day you mess with valves. 

I sell a good C clamp screw down style for $42.  My copy has worked its life away and earned its keep. 

Ben W.

I do have a good spring compressor.  I couldn't imagine even attempting this without that!

• MH81 and superaben have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:46 PM

I do have a good spring compressor.  I couldn't imagine even attempting this without that!

Grease to hold the retainers on is the only way I've done it. 

Hire the neighbor boy to do it for you.  Little fingers do it much better if yours are anything like my big fat ones!

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 06:00 AM

I found the C clamp shaped valve spring compressor the easiest to use. I have a pliers like tool with curved tips that are mangetized for putting the retainers in. I've had it for many years and I think it is a KD tool for flat head cars. It makes the job go much faster. Good Luck, Rick

• David Brown said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 06:49 AM

I forgot to ask the big question... Do you have something in that hole now to keep the keep from falling in?
  • David Brown and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:15 AM

I forgot to ask the big question... Do you have something in that hole now to keep the keep from falling ?

Yes I do as a matter of fact.  It doesn't take too many times for me to learn.  I didn't even put new oil in it yet.  Won't do that until I get these back in.  One reason these things are so hard to put in is they don't have a lip inside like I've seen on every other keeper I've ever fought with.  Not sure how they settle in and stay put but we'll get it figured out in the next 10 years or so.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 07:39 AM

I was thinking about this, and now that you said no lip... Hmmm...
Maybe after you get one in, you put a big (cow) magnet on the retainer while you turn it to hold it all together and then take the magnet off.

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:19 AM

I was thinking about this, and now that you said no lip... Hmmm...
Maybe after you get one in, you put a big (cow) magnet on the retainer while you turn it to hold it all together and then take the magnet off.

Not much room to do that to be honest.  I tried something last night that I really though would work.  You know how you can put a magnet on the end of a regular steel bar and pick something up with the other end?  Well I thought that might work with the valve.  Figured I could lay a magnet on top of the valve and it would give me enough hold power to hold that little keeper on until I release the spring compressor.  No dice.  Perhaps my magnet isn't powerful enough.  I'll tell you though, if I could get that to work, that would rock.

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:14 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by no lip? Are these auto style keepers with a groove in the valve and a ridge on the keeper and the keepers are tapered? If so, let the retainer down until just the very tip of the keeper will be in the retainer. Slide the keeper up at an angle so the tip is in the retainer and then you can push it in and let the ridge lay in the groove and it will be self holding.

#13 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Wouldn't dream of attempting it without the valve spring compressor, but they are not fool proof and sometimes the clips slip out when you release regardless. I've never been much of a mechanic as my frustration limits are way to easily reached. I have to make sure I don't have "unauthorized" tools on the bench like a ball peen hammer. However a pair of forceps comes in handy.

Edited by skunkhome, June 12, 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by no lip? Are these auto style keepers with a groove in the valve and a ridge on the keeper and the keepers are tapered? If so, let the retainer down until just the very tip of the keeper will be in the retainer. Slide the keeper up at an angle so the tip is in the retainer and then you can push it in and let the ridge lay in the groove and it will be self holding.

Groove in the valve, yes.  Tapered keepers, yes.  Ridge on the keepers, no.  I found that a little strange but I've never messed with the valves on a briggs so I don't know if that's normal or not.  I may still try your idea though.  Never thought about doing it that way.  Would be easier with the ridge but it should still work regardless I would think.

#15 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Groove in the valve, yes.  Tapered keepers, yes.  Ridge on the keepers, no.  I found that a little strange but I've never messed with the valves on a briggs so I don't know if that's normal or not.  I may still try your idea though.  Never thought about doing it that way.  Would be easier with the ridge but it should still work regardless I would think.

Something doesn't sound right to me either. Without the ridge on the inside of the keeper, what's going to keep it from coming off the end of the valve? It's been awhile since I've had one of those down but i'm thinking they had the ridge. Is there any sign that there was a ridge and its worn down?