• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 157 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:34 AM

That is not an 8N, it is a 9N or 2N. It will only have a three speed trans and the brake pedals are on opposite sides, which I find annoying. You can't push the clutch and use both brakes at the same time. There are a few other differences, such as the steering box, but engine and horsepower wise they are the same. The wide lug wheels is the tip off, 8's have traditional pattern hubs front and rear.  Still a capable tractor, though, at about 25 horsepower.  I second the overrunning clutch on the PTO, a mower like that will push the tractor, even with the clutch pushed in unless you bump the trans into neutral.

Edited by Sprint 6, June 29, 2014 - 06:27 AM.

• Lance Skene said thank you

#17 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 09:27 AM

1946 2N according to the ser# on tractordata.com, it was listed at auction as an 8 but it makes no diff to me, I wsnt being fussy and its the first N Ive heard of going for less than $1000. Comparable tractors are often advertised around here for $1500-$2500.

Its being a bit stubborn but I did have it running last night, had to work the throttle with one hand, choke with the other... will have to pull the carb for a good cleaning... wiring is a mess but it has been converted to 12v w/alternator... 15" front wheels are likely some old farmers invention.... and Im guessing the bright yellow seat with a deer on it isnt oem.... but it is well padded... lol

Its been many years now but I have run similar tractors with a pto driven mower... I might put an overun clutch on it but Im also kicking around the idea of building a self powered pull type using a spare 14hp B+S vanguard twin and spindles from some old Ford LGT decks.  

The Lo-Boy and Ford N have both been on my wish list for awhile so Im happy to have them both here finally... but theres still one more Im after... a Cockshutt 20 or 30, which I would like to do a full blown restoration on and take around to shows.