• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 04:48 AM

Ne Cub Loboy owners here? What can you tell me about them?

I traded a rough Ford 120 and a running Gravely c10a with tiller for a 154 the other day, going to pick it up on saturday, runs and drives but the clutch slips, has a rear box blade and a spare tranny. I have a 6' front blade I can modify to fit, it will be mostly for maintaining about 250yds of gravel drive.

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Clutch can be a PITA to replace, been putting off doing the one on my Lo-Boy. Will get to it this winter. They're not real powerhouses but are very capable. I want mine just to mow with so I can retire my Hi-Boy.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:07 AM

My FIL had one, not a huge fan.
i guess there were two versions, one had the clutch under the seat (I've seen clutches come apart, placement scared me just to run it) and it was a PITA to change.
It was under powered to the point that he could only mow downhill or on the flat, couldn't mow uphill.

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Ih Cub Loboy, The Good The Bad?

or better: the ugly   lachen.gif

pardon, just joking.jpeg

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 09:49 AM

I have never owned one.. But my neighbor mows his lawn every week with one. I wonder if there was something wrong with the one MH81 mentioned, since I watch this one run up and down hills constantly and have never even heard him get into the governor? They may be a little underpowered but should do well for you if you keep in mind what it is and gear you projects and implements to match .
I keep looking for one to use as a dedicated mowing machine but have yet to find one at a price I thought was reasonable.
They seem to sell high in this area. But with almost an acre and a half of lawn I would love to have one.
I like my GTs but have learned that a longer wheelbase, and larger wheels makes for a much smoother ride and does not beat the body nearly as much, when you spend hours in the seat.

Back when they first came out I was in high school and old Homer who worked for the school system would ride one all day long every day mowing school property. I always thought it was a neat machine.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 11, 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#6 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Ive asked about them on a couple forums and the general response is that they are slow for mowing, but not underpowered. I have 3 acres so Im thinking about buying or fabricating a self powered pull type mower so that these antique tractors dont have to be running full throttle all the time. These Loboys are usually high priced around here also but Ive gotten to know this guy over the last couple years and this trade is good for both of us, he has a similar Ford and wanted to buy this one anyway. I collect the early LGT series so the 120 isnt even a good parts tractor for me. Gravely I got cheap from a buddy recently, I didnt need it but I got it running and tilling good and was probably gonna be sold regardless.  

I always seem to have one or more GTs apart in the shop just for fun so doing any kind of mechanical repairs is not a pita... its a hobby, I happen to have a Cub original right now also so I might decide to keep that also just because it would look cute parked beside the Loboy...lol... but I often find the GTs are simply not big enough, and my IH Hydro 86 is too big, so Ive been looking for something mid sized for some time, and being lquid cooled the Loboy should be easily fitted with a heated cab for year round use and still fit inside the 9' door of the shop.

Im excited, the weekend cant come quick enough...lol

• MH81 said thank you

#7 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 01:48 PM

Got the Cub home yesterday, still in the trailer and already see a new addiction coming;)

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub154.jpg

• Alc, bgkid2966 and smokestack76 have said thanks

#8 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 03:22 AM

So according to tractordata its a '73, runs quite nice but doesnt move, there is another tranny came with it, grill and battery cover are missing, pto and 3pt both working, left front tire has a slow leak, hopefully be able to get it working soon but it will be awhile before I worry about any paint.... but with a good cleaning it will look alot better Im sure, probably build a custom grill so theres at least some place to put lights... although there is another one about an hour from here just sitting in some long grass so I'll check if its for sale at a decent price before I do much on this one.

Also went and looked at a Ford 8N with a pull type pto mower yesterday so that ones coming home also, and its basically ready to work but I did see a bit of a fuel leak from the carb. Might have gotten a lead on a Cockshutt 30 cheap also which is something Ive been looking for to restore just because my Pop ran a dealership when I was a kid...

Seems Ive found a cure for my garden tractor addiction...Bigger Tractors;)  

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub154b.jpg
  • 2Cubs.jpg
  • dash.jpg
  • rear.jpg

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:20 AM

Most of the ones I've seen around here for sale have the wider turf tires and no 3 pt  .  Nice machine you got there :thumbs:   Isn't there something different about the PTO direction ? Or is that the older Cubs ?

#10 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Yes the pto is reversed and it turns a 1600rpm according to the sticker so only Loboy specific attachments would work with it, but my main purpose for the tractor will be driveway maintainance, if I come across attachments I'll pick them up but Im not really looking for any. Mostly I just think alot of what do around here is a little more than 30 yr old garden tractors should be expected to do... but I like tinkering on old machinery... plus all the wheelin/dealin has allowed me to meet alot of people in the area so it makes for an interesting hobby, occasionally even make a buck or two;)

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Well seems like it has just a shift fork issue, not finding first or reverse, so with having the extra tranny it should be an easy fix, the spare feels like it goes into all the gears. I took it for little rip around the yard yesterday, second and third work fine, hi/low aswell, like the sound..its even quieter than my truck so that will be nice instead of listening to these Kohlers barking all day. Im thinking heated cab, radio, front blade... let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

..and... friend of mine that goes to alot of auctions, and knows Im looking for a couple small tractors showed up here sunday morning... "Come for a ride... got something for ya"..... OK... so here he has picked up a Ford 8n for $950..."You want it, it yours" he says... little rough around the edges but running, and he has a pto mower that will hook up to it.... so I got new lawn mower now also... wont quite fit in my trailer tho so I have to wait for him to deliver it.

• olcowhand said thank you

#12 wku88 OFFLINE  

wku88
  • Member No: 32000
  • 22 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:35 PM

You are aware that the tranny is the same as pretty much all Cub Cadet gear drive GTs , right? Should be literally millions of parts out there.

My brother has a cherry 184, but he isn't real happy with it's performance with a 60" deck. Will probably go down the road now that he has a newer CC with hydro.

Edited by wku88, June 22, 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#13 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 02:25 PM

Ya I was told by the po that many of the Cub Cadets use the same tranny... and he sent along a spare that seems to go into all gears so Im sure I'll have the parts needed, already been using it a little but reverse is manual only... get off and push.Lol.

I dont plan on mowing with but if I come across a 60" deck for cheap I might try it out... Im gonna put a 72" winch operated front blade on it, and probably a cab for pushing snow, a ball hitch on a 3pt draw bar for moving trailers and towing harrows.

I have a few GTs and a big tractor w/fel.... nothing in between tho so thats what Im looking for these days, also bringing home a Ford 8n with a mower here shortly, this Cub will be kind of a general use yard machine so that I dont have to worry about swapping attachments on/off other dedicated machines. 

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 05:01 PM

You will love the little 9n, just be absolutely sure that if you don't have live power on a unit you have an over run clutch on the PTO.

It can literally be a matter of life and death when it comes to PTO powered equipment.

#15 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 01:53 PM

Ford 8N was delivered this morning, guy managed to cut a front tire loading it but at least it wasnt a back tire.

Definately have my work cut out getting these two into working condition but it all part of the fun;)

Attached Thumbnails

• Ford 8N1.jpg