#1 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 11:27 PM

005.jpg
Although its cool looking at the pics I hope to not experience this again! Finished corn December 23, 2009 at 11:45 pm that year! Truely a year from hell! Luke

Attached Thumbnails

• 014.jpg
  • 007.jpg
  • 010.jpg
  • 009.jpg
  • 008.jpg

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 03:41 PM

I swathed in similar conditions once. Worst harvest ever...everybody was mad all the time, it was so cold (pull-type swather, cabless Deutz) that I was leaning into the exhaust to try to keep warm, every piece of equipment seemed to break about every three minutes. We finally got done and we headed back to the city. Got pulled over by the cops, nailed for purple gas and open beer. Who checks for purple gas when it's cold out?

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 06:56 PM

Purple gas? Never heard of that one......red dyed fuel?(color of off road fuel today) We didn't have much problems with breaking anything but we were able to pull the combine and augerwagon inside the heated shop and thaw them out after working everyday/night. Only had one close call with wrecking stuff and that was while unloading the augerwagon into the semi through the ditch the augerwagon slide over and rested the auger against the side of the semi and tarp......luckily we were able to wiggle away from the augerwagon and didn't cut the tarp or hurt the auger! Only thing that made the harvest worth it was the corn was making over 200 b/a! Luke

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 06:29 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9793[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9797[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9795[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9794[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9792[/ATTACH]
Although its cool looking at the pics I hope to not experience this again! Finished corn December 23, 2009 at 11:45 pm that year! Truely a year from hell! Luke

We do a little of that here,if the snow comes early.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 08:14 PM

I know this may sound like a dumb question but I am not afraid to ask. Why such a late harvest?

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 02:38 AM

Thats not a dumb question! We had a delayed spring planting season(by about month).......wouldn't stop raining for us to get the ground dried up so we could hammer down and get it planted! Then we were plagued by a extremely cool summer to compound the problem of delayed planting! So the cool temps slowed crop maturity(crops need some many degree growing days per geographic location)down and set harvest back! In our area we are usually done harvesting by end of october or first of november but not that year......try end of december! Normally we dedicate november to chiesel plowing and shooting nitrogen(anyhydrous-ammonia) for next years corn crop! Anyway, sorry for the long winded message......just try to explain as detailed as I can. Luke

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Purple gas? Never heard of that one......red dyed fuel?(color of off road fuel today) We didn't have much problems with breaking anything but we were able to pull the combine and augerwagon inside the heated shop and thaw them out after working everyday/night. Only had one close call with wrecking stuff and that was while unloading the augerwagon into the semi through the ditch the augerwagon slide over and rested the auger against the side of the semi and tarp......luckily we were able to wiggle away from the augerwagon and didn't cut the tarp or hurt the auger! Only thing that made the harvest worth it was the corn was making over 200 b/a! Luke

Purple gas is peculiar to some Canadian provinces. Farm gas isn't taxed, or is taxed at a lesser level, depending on where you live, so they put a purple dye in it. It's illegal to use it unless you have farm plates on your truck. I lived in the city but spent every spare moment at the farm, so I didn't have farm plates. When you're out at the farm at harvest though, you just fill up with the purple and take your chances. The local cops will generally leave you alone if they know you've been doing farm work anyways...small towns, you know how it is. They never check when it's cold out. The RCMP don't like standing on the side of the highway in the cold. Except that one time.

The fine for open beer was only $60.00 back then. The fine for purple gas was $250.00.