Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Windows Fix Scam Warning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:51 AM

This is an old scam that is making a come back.  You get a phone call from a person who sounds legit telling you they have gotten a report that your update or download has failed and that they are calling to fix the problem.  What they do is navigate you out to a site for you to download a program that will then allow them to take over your system.  Now they can do what they want to your system and you will be pretty helpless (Unless you know how to get around something like that).

We have had several calls in the past few weeks with this scam.  When the wife answers and they start their spill she says wait a minute let me let you talk with my husband he works in IT.  There is usually a click at the other end. 

The point I want to make here is that Microsoft or any other legit computer software company is NOT going to call you and tell you that you have a problem.  They leave it up to you to call them if you have and issue.  Your best bet is if you do get one of these calls and the tell you that they are going to help you with your computer hang up!

• MH81, GTTinkerer, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Yah we got a few of them also. I just hang up onthem and the wife tells them to stop calling. It is going all around the country. I get a kick out of the ones you can't understand. I tolkd the wife to start talking in jibberish and then listen. Most often they are the ones that hang up.                                                   Roger.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 11:09 AM

When I read the title I was thinking someone repairing the windows in the house. I've been using a Mac for 4 years now so "Windows" has lost it's meaning in computer terms.

• IamSherwood and superaben have said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 01:46 PM

Teresa got such a call a little over a month or so ago.  She was on it though.  He spoke broken English, so she mocked his voice saying "Oh I do, just what's wrong with my computer".  He started his spill, then she broke in & told him she was going to call the police.  He goes "no police, no police", then he promptly hung up! 

It doesn't surprise me that these scam artists are at work, but what does surprise me is how many people are falling for it!  Common sense people...please!  What makes me mad is when they prey on elderly!  :mad2:

• MH81, IamSherwood, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 02:19 PM

How about telling them your BIL is having computer trouble and then give them the local number for the police station?

• olcowhand, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 03:19 PM

I get several of those calls per month for a couple of years now. First clue is that they barely speak english. I just tell them no thanks and hang up. The "common sense" now days is not the same as "good sense" (as it was many years ago).

I saw 2 bumper stickers on a pickup in PA about 9 years ago. The first said "Stupidity should be painful" and the second said "guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat". I thought that there was alot of wisdom in both.

Thanks for the warning Bill. The old saying "there is a sucker born every minute and two to take him" is still true. Good Luck, Rick

• IamSherwood and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,312 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:11 PM

When I read the title I was thinking someone repairing the windows in the house. I've been using a Mac for 4 years now so "Windows" has lost it's meaning in computer terms.

AHHH..  Another one...  CLICK HERE

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Cant wait for them to call me. This is gonna be funNNNNNNNN!

#9 ruthsimmons OFFLINE  

ruthsimmons
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 58720
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Got a call like that, too. The caller used a 520 phone number and claimed to be affiliated with Microsoft. Told me their server monitored a virus in my computer, whatever that means. But I thought it was suspicious so I hung up. Why wouldn't I? What I got is a Mac. Surely, Microsoft won't be calling about that.

#10 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 10:18 AM

Cant wait for them to call me. This is gonna be funNNNNNNNN!

You can't miss them...... Like mentioned,, broken English and saying that he noticed my putter was in need of repair,, then asking for my E-mail adress,, and telling me to go on-line so he can fix the problem.....

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 01:42 PM

You can't miss them...... Like mentioned,, broken English and saying that he noticed my putter was in need of repair,, then asking for my E-mail adress,, and telling me to go on-line so he can fix the problem.....

Just got back from our beach Vacation. They found me down there. Guess what, My windows work fine, they no let in water when raining. My Computer is Chinese and runs yangdo OS and they can no fix yangdo. My family was cracking up, I had the guy on the line for 10 minutes before he hung up on me.

• olcowhand, GTTinkerer, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks