#1 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:20 AM

I'm getting ready to buy a "Core" 20V cordless trimmer, already have 12V & 18V shop tools.  I'm thinking of putting all the chargers in one place for convenience.  I know your not supposed to leave the batteries plugged into the chargers for long periods of time, but what about if the charger isn't turned on?  I'm thinking of putting all the chargers on one (switched) power strip so I can just switch it off & on as needed.

Anybody know of any problems with this idea?  ~~  Lowell

OOPS!  Misspell on title (should be Tool, not toll)!!!!  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Edited by grnspot110, June 10, 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Most modern chargers have a battery sense circuit to sample voltage before the charger will turn on . This circuit would eat a minute amount of power which could add up over time .

• grnspot110 said thank you

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Being in construction & having a lot of electronics I personally don't trust any battery or charger. Since our devices & components are made & assembled from all over the world one faulty component could be disastrous. The idea of a charging station switched on one circuit sounds good but don't leave batteries connected regardless.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:03 AM

I fixed the title for you. It depends on how the chargers are designed. If there is some sort of parasitic load on the battery when the power is off it will gradually run down the battery when the charger is unplugged. This has been my experience with at least 1 type of charger. I would look at the owners manuals to see if there are any guidelines on leaving the batteries in the charger.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 09:03 AM

I'm the worlds worse when it comes to leaving batteries in the charger.  I usually have 2 or 3 batteries so when one goes dead I just pop in another one put the dead one in the charger and promptly forget about it until a day or so later I see it and go :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

I have done what you are talking about Lowell.  I have 2 chargers plus a small fan on a strip.  The fan is tor remind me to turn off the strip before closing the shop up.  I don't leave the battery in the charger unless I have another seniors moment and forget but I do figure that at least with the power turn off it is better for the battery then just leaving it.

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 09:18 AM

When I get the new garge fully wired I will have one spot where I will have my chargers for all of the "Toys" uh...."Tools yah Tools".. I want to put it on a seperate circut dedicated for just that. I will have it on a GFCI and it should be okay.  I am bad at leaving batteries on the charger. Just can't seem to remember to take them out of the charger.............just had to run out and take one out that has been in one for a couple of days. Thanks for reminding me.  Seriously I have 4 different drills, and screwdrivers that are rechargable. I plan on having a 40v trimmer by Worx next year. I just want them to to be in one place where I can get them easily. I don't like using the strips for plugging chargers into. I had talked to an electrician about using a heavy duty timer for shutting the chargers off and he said don't do it because the draw might overheat and cause a fire.  thanks for the post.  Good Luck.                                                                                                     Roger.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 10:38 AM

Some of my cordless tools have smart chargers that you can leave plugged in & batteries connected with no issue.  One way to not forget on those "dumb chargers" is to put an outlet timer on them so they cannot overcharge.  Set to so many hours & walk away.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 05:24 PM

I always unplug my chargers when the batteries are charged, and I leave the garage. I do not leave anything plugged in when unoccupied. (31 years on the fire department and seen a lot of garage fires).

I do how-ever leave the batteries in the charger. I have noticed lately the batteries being "dead" or very weak when I remove them from the charger.....Wonder if the drained batteries is from being in the un-plugged charger, or maybe they are just shot!

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:49 PM

I have a foot long wood shelf on the wall right above the air compressor, with a strip outlet fastened to the underside of the shelf, facing out so the red light on the switch is visible.

#10 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:40 PM

I have my workbench light plugged into the strip with my chargers so they get shut off every time I leave the garage.

Geno

#11 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:47 AM

Some of my cordless tools have smart chargers that you can leave plugged in & batteries connected with no issue.  One way to not forget on those "dumb chargers" is to put an outlet timer on them so they cannot overcharge.  Set to so many hours & walk away.

Where would I find a timer that doesn't come back on 24 hours later?  

I would want one that when turned on, stays on 3-4 hours, then shuts off until I restart it!  ~~  Lowell

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Where would I find a timer that doesn't come back on 24 hours later?  

I would want one that when turned on, stays on 3-4 hours, then shuts off until I restart it!  ~~  Lowell

Not as simple to wire but HERE is a 4 hour timer that shuts off.