drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Last time this happened to me,in google I disabled an add on, here is the page for Mozilla on how. 

Hope it helps

https://support.mozi...dd ons&r=2&as=s     

Edited by drbish, June 09, 2014 - 06:51 PM.

• MH81 and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Bill, you are a site supporter so you should not see any ads on this site. Those ads that you are showing in your screen shots definitely are nothing related to this site. We do have a slider that comes up from the bottom that shows once in a blue moon but that is only to guests.

#18 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Been running MSE and ad-aware.  Firefox has been of no help at all with getting rid of ad-choice.

It will have to wait until tomorrow.  I'll use the computer in the shop or the wife's laptop until I can get this one sorted out.

Thank you both for the help.

Edited by GTTinkerer, June 09, 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#19 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:01 PM

get Advance System Care by IObit - free version

they also have a malware program that is free too

at IObit.com

I used several of IObit programs at work ( now retired)

IObit does make good products and they work!

My son uses Win$ows and he uses them to keep his PC and laptop clean

He uses the full version of Advance System Care - can be installed on 3 pcs for around $10 a year

good luck

#20 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Now is is changing the entire page.  Sh oo t

I got redirected to that website from GTTalk yesterday.  Nothing since.

#21 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Boot into safe mode and install spybot then when you run it tell it to update it's self then run the scan.  When the scan is done tell it to clear out the garbage.  Then tell it to immunize your system.  When you are done with that run cCleaner and have it clean out all your garbage files and then clean the registry.  Good practice is let cCleaner do a back up of the registry just in case, it will ask you when you tell it to fix the problems. 

Also I would recommend that once you have your system clean, install adbock-plus.  When you install it a page will open telling you that adblock plus was installed. Scroll down and you will see 3 categories with an on/off switch to the right.  Turn all 3 of them on. 

• MH81 said thank you

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 05:34 AM

Boot into safe mode and install spybot then when you run it tell it to update it's self then run the scan. When the scan is done tell it to clear out the garbage. Then tell it to immunize your system. When you are done with that run cCleaner and have it clean out all your garbage files and then clean the registry. Good practice is let cCleaner do a back up of the registry just in case, it will ask you when you tell it to fix the problems.

Also I would recommend that once you have your system clean, install adbock-plus. When you install it a page will open telling you that adblock plus was installed. Scroll down and you will see 3 categories with an on/off switch to the right. Turn all 3 of them on.

Bill, couple of questions.
Since he did try to download one directly and it redirected him to the knock off ransomeware version, is there one he should try next, or would you try a portable version of something and what would that be?

If he should do a portable, would it be a good idea to load 3 or 4 on so he isn't taking the USB back and forth? If so, what ones?

As a side note, I have one guy at work who insists on damaging his computer two or three times a year just because he thinks I am bored. He clicks Willie nillie and darn the consequences. He also signs my paycheck so I have to be careful what I say :D. Anyways, I installed a program called NoScript, it has really cut down on stuff like this. Just wondering, have you ever used it?

#23 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Bill, couple of questions.
Since he did try to download one directly and it redirected him to the knock off ransomeware version, is there one he should try next, or would you try a portable version of something and what would that be?

If he should do a portable, would it be a good idea to load 3 or 4 on so he isn't taking the USB back and forth? If so, what ones?

As a side note, I have one guy at work who insists on damaging his computer two or three times a year just because he thinks I am bored. He clicks Willie nillie and darn the consequences. He also signs my paycheck so I have to be careful what I say :D. Anyways, I installed a program called NoScript, it has really cut down on stuff like this. Just wondering, have you ever used it?

Alan, by booting into safe mode (Oh I forgot to add "with networking" option) that should stop any virus or malware from running and he should be able to download spybot or any other utility.  The other option is to download it on another computer and use a USB to transfer it, but there is a small chance it could transfer on to the USB and eventually infect other computers, although in this case I think he has picked up a spammers malware which probably would be safe.

Yes if he want to run more then one anti-malware program it would be better to do it all at once then individually.

Since retiring and Window 8 Release I have really backed off working on Windows machines and turned my attention to working on small engine's.  So no I haven't tried NoScript.  Does it block all script's or can you filter? 

The only Windows computer I maintain these days is the Wife's and she has been told if she picks up one of these parasites the next thing she will be looking at is a Linux desktop.  I do have MSE, Firefox with adblock-plus and spybot installed with Teatime running in the background and I haven't had a problem with her computer.  I do have to run cCleaner every couple of months to clean her system up so it will run faster and smoother.

I'll also add that I have adblock-plus protection installed on my Linux computers with the malware protection just as a precaution to protect the network.

• MH81 said thank you

#24 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 10:14 PM

I was having pop up problems and redirects also.  I was able to download the cleaner program and spybot,, good bye popups and redirects and I was able to get rid of a program I couldn't get rid of with windows.

Edited by js5020, June 10, 2014 - 10:15 PM.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#25 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Glad you got your computer fixed.  When you ran spybot did you immunize your system?  Are you running Teatime?  Both of these will help prevent you from picking up another virus / malware.

#26 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 01:12 PM

Glad you got your computer fixed.  When you ran spybot did you immunize your system?  Are you running Teatime?  Both of these will help prevent you from picking up another virus / malware.

Just did the immunize, thanks for the reminder!  Teatime? whats that?  I attribute the problems to other "non tractor" sites and/or add-ons/plugins which look legit but upon close inspection these aren't totally legit or are legit but have riders that need not be added but have been overlooked upon installation.  Wife "upgraded" one of the plugins and we ended up with a program called bee coupons and I could not get rid of it through Windows, the cleaner program made short work of that pita.  All works well again, and I've been surfin tractor forums for many years and I will say I have never got a bug from any tractor site, all the reputable and popular forums have excellent staff members who do everything possible to safeguard us from these things.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#27 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Just did the immunize, thanks for the reminder!  Teatime? whats that?  I attribute the problems to other "non tractor" sites and/or add-ons/plugins which look legit but upon close inspection these aren't totally legit or are legit but have riders that need not be added but have been overlooked upon installation.  Wife "upgraded" one of the plugins and we ended up with a program called bee coupons and I could not get rid of it through Windows, the cleaner program made short work of that pita.  All works well again, and I've been surfin tractor forums for many years and I will say I have never got a bug from any tractor site, all the reputable and popular forums have excellent staff members who do everything possible to safeguard us from these things.

You install teatime when you install Spybot.  You should see an Icon in your task manager that will say something like "Spybot Resident" that will be the program Teatime. 

#28 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 06:24 PM

The computer guru of the fmily is just finishing up a weeks vacation on Mackinaw Island and will be taking a look at the computer in the home office soon so i'll be using one in the shop for now, 

I have tried all of the suggestions except the "last resort" but willl wait until the nephew can get to me.  He is going to Australia soon for a week or so to advize the builders of his boss' new yacht on where to run the wiring for the computer hardware and such. 

Thanks to all for the suggestions and followup.

#29 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Last time this happened to me,in google I disabled an add on, here is the page for Mozilla on how. 

Hope it helps

https://support.mozi...dd ons&r=2&as=s     

I clicked on the URL in the post and one of the first things I ran into was to reset Foxfire to the default settings.  It said that Firefox would try to keep my bookmarks, saved passwords and such.  When I did the reset everything appears to have been saved except the "bad stuff" I picked up somehow.  I have been playing with it for about 20 minutes since the reset and all is good so far.

Thanks for the link.

• drbish said thank you

#30 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 01:29 PM

The office computer is still purring right along.

Thanks again.