46 replies to this topic

#31 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:51 PM

If it has been sitting for a long time the tires probably have flat spots.

My 2 wheel drive ranger is really sensitive to wheel balance. I have to watch my buddy who does my tires real close to make sure he gets them spot on not "good enough"

#32 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:39 PM

More updating in order here:

I'm really starting to kick myself for trying to get this truck going again.  After working with a local Pep Boys, we determined that not only did the tires have flat spots, but the rims were off too, probably ever since I put the truck in the ditch a number of years ago.  So, $650 for a set of tires and the cheapest rims I can find.  Also, new shocks all around, another $100 for that.  The ride smoothed out quite a bit, though I will probably take the truck back in and see if the tires can be re-balanced any better.  

Then, a few weeks ago, the clutch wasn't releasing properly, and I found the clutch reservoir had run dry.  I couldn't remember when I last checked fluid levels, so I hoped that the problems were caused by accelerated clutch wear.  Ranger master cylinders are designed to trap air, so I had to dismount the master cylinder so it could be bled.  Truck worked great for one week, then the reservoir ran dry again, so definitely a leak and it turned out to be the slave cylinder.

Ford has a great design for a slave cylinder, it is a hollow tube that pushes directly on the clutch throwout fingers.  The hollow tube wraps around the transmission shaft and can't be replaced without removing the transmission.  The wonderful designers at Ford decided that the exhaust tube needed to be routed so that it is in the way of pretty much anything you try to do.  They succeeded wonderfully.  I spent last Sunday getting the transmission out of the truck so I could replace the slave cylinder and put in a new clutch and pressure plate assembly.  I was going to replace what I thought was a leaking rear main seal, but it turned out to be the oil pan gasket instead.  That was it for the weekend, spent this past week getting the flywheel resurfaced, ordering parts etc.

So this weekend I decided to replace the oil pan gasket and put the truck back together.  Again, the wonderful designers at Ford came though, because the engine has to be lifted about 3 inches so the oil pan can come out.  So, I built a tripod, figured out a way to chain the engine to a come-along  and lifted it up enough to get the oil pan out.   Cleaned it up really good, then used liberal amounts of RTV sealant to seal the gasket in place.  

After that, the engine was lowered back into place and I was able to put the flywheel on, install the new clutch and pressure plate and pull the old pilot bearing and put in a new one.  The new slave cylinder does not seem to match the old style connector, though it claims to be compatible.  That will probably wait for next weekend.

I can't emphasize how much I'm over this truck.  Really wish I'd sold it with the blown head gasket.  The upper "A" arm ball links are bad and need replaced, and I found that the sway bar link on one side of the truck has lost it's rubber bushing.  More time and money, and I don't have much of either these days.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#33 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:43 PM

I forgot to mention, a spark plug wire went bad a couple of weeks ago, I had to track down what was wrong and which cylinder.  I ended up replacing the spark module (twice, cause they gave me the wrong one the first time) as well as the wires.  The wires got replaced about 40,000 miles ago, seems like they should have lasted longer.  

#34 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:07 PM

How hard was it to raise the engine to pull the oil pan?  I need to change the oil pump on my '01 Ranger, but the shop is quoting $2,000, yes $2,000, to do it because they need to raise the engine.  Could you do it with the tranny attached?

#35 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:34 PM

what are "A Link ball arms"? never heard of them and I have been wrenching for a living for over 20 years. and I have worked on lots of Rangers.

(from the post that tells of what has been fixed on this truck since OP bought it new)

Edited by dodge trucker, October 28, 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#36 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 09:56 PM

How hard was it to raise the engine to pull the oil pan?  I need to change the oil pump on my '01 Ranger, but the shop is quoting $2,000, yes $2,000, to do it because they need to raise the engine.  Could you do it with the tranny attached?

I had to raise  the engine about 2.5 to 3.5 inches to get the pan to come out due to the axle cross-member.  It came straight back and I feel sure it would have hit the transmission had they been mated. I can't see getting it out without detaching the engine.  

#37 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 10:11 PM

PS- Is the pump just not working?  That could be an issue with the camshaft synchronizer / used to be distributor/ which is a known issue with this engine apparently. 

#38 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 28, 2014 - 10:17 PM

what are "A Link ball arms"? never heard of them and I have been wrenching for a living for over 20 years. and I have worked on lots of Rangers.

(from the post that tells of what has been fixed on this truck since OP bought it new)

From Wikipedia:

In automobiles, a double wishbone (or upper and lower A-armsuspension is anindependent suspension design using two (occasionally parallel) wishbone-shaped arms to locate the wheel. Each wishbone or arm has two mounting points to thechassis and one joint at the knuckle. 

#39 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 06:48 AM

I am guessing "first on race day" is no longer the acronym for ford....more like "fix or repair daily"

Edited by Jazz, October 29, 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#40 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 01:19 PM

I am guessing "first on race day" is no longer the acronym for ford....more like "fix or repair daily"

160,000 miles and 15 years old isn't exactly a new truck.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#41 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:05 PM

From Wikipedia:

In automobiles, a double wishbone (or upper and lower A-armsuspension is anindependent suspension design using two (occasionally parallel) wishbone-shaped arms to locate the wheel. Each wishbone or arm has two mounting points to thechassis and one joint at the knuckle. 

so they are talking about the ball JOINTS and control arms... In 20 years of being an alignment guy I never heard anyone call them "A Link Ball Arms"....

I don't see any mention of "that", in the Wiki link.

Edited by dodge trucker, October 30, 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#42 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Toyota is laughing all the way to the bank. I heard they wanted to push the f150 with that eco 6cylinder engine that gets horrible gas mileage. I saw on the news ford is settling something about lying about gas mileage. My family has only owned fords for decades but our last 2 my dad got a tacoma and i got my wife a rav4. Seems like toyota is offering the cars people want

you could not pay me to drive a Toyota. Any Toyota.    If I gotta "settle" for a full size truck so what. My last several trucks I have been going back n forth... full size 1/2 ton.... Dakota... 1/2 ton 4WD... Dakota... 3/4 ton.... Dakota(that's the current beast)   have been my last few vehicles I don't like ANYBODY's current offerings though.  If I had to deviate it would be GM or Ford  for sure and probably again something at least 10 years old..... my current vehicles are 93, 97 and 01. (my 2nd '01 vehicle, the newest I have ever owned to date)

#43 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Cleaned it up really good, then used liberal amounts of RTV sealant to seal the gasket in place.  

sounds like someone is looking for more trouble there, especially if the gasket was a rubber type.

The upper "A" arm ball links are bad and need replaced,

Ball JOINTS.... many of which CAN be replaced without changing the whole control arm.... despite what ford says.  look to MOOG suspension parts.

#44 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:56 PM

PS- Is the pump just not working?  That could be an issue with the camshaft synchronizer / used to be distributor/ which is a known issue with this engine apparently. 

I am getting lower oil pressure than I would like when hot: 17 psi at 2000 RPM.  I have plenty of pressure when cold (53 psi at idle).

#45 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 10:51 PM

160,000 miles and 15 years old isn't exactly a new truck.

Absolutely true