• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,996 Thanks
  • 1,470 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:11 PM

My 1987 ranger with 2.9 traded in at 296k original engine, my 1997 3.0 traded it in 04 with 160k i still see the truck in the area. My 02 ranger still running at 180k
Fords biggest mistake they stopped making it.
I dont want a full size truck to commute in so the only options are toyota and nissan. Shame the big 3 stopped there mid sized trucks and losing sales
  • HowardsMF155 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#17 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,534 Thanks
  • 4,181 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:27 PM

My 2007 Ranger is almost at 60,000 and I am contemplating a dealer service or doing it my self. thoughts? 

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#18 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,996 Thanks
  • 1,470 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I an not a mechanic but my 02 is fairly reasonable to work on. Only major issue it was in the shop was at about 145k the hub bearings and front axle went. I didnt feel like messing with it also had all the brake lines replaced. Haynes book and u tube videos helped me

#19 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,443 Thanks
  • 7,245 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Here's one on CL with 100k for $400  ,  not sure if the drive is worth it for you

http://scranton.crai...4483128551.html

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,129 Thanks
  • 5,581 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:48 PM

My 1987 ranger with 2.9 traded in at 296k original engine, my 1997 3.0 traded it in 04 with 160k i still see the truck in the area. My 02 ranger still running at 180k
Fords biggest mistake they stopped making it.
I dont want a full size truck to commute in so the only options are toyota and nissan. Shame the big 3 stopped there mid sized trucks and losing sales

Ford dealer told me Ford stopped selling the ranger because they wanted more for sales.

#21 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • 1,996 Thanks
  • 1,470 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Toyota is laughing all the way to the bank. I heard they wanted to push the f150 with that eco 6cylinder engine that gets horrible gas mileage. I saw on the news ford is settling something about lying about gas mileage. My family has only owned fords for decades but our last 2 my dad got a tacoma and i got my wife a rav4. Seems like toyota is offering the cars people want

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,129 Thanks
  • 5,581 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 07:04 PM

I was talking to a guy the other who has an ecotec f150 and he hates it.

#23 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,008 Thanks
  • 8,521 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:58 PM

I hate Fords.

That being said the 3.0 is one of the few Ford engines worth having. That one has an obvious blown head gasket I can see it n 2 of the pictures. Have the heads shaved and a valve job done on them. Call around to different shops for prices. I found a guy that does work for all the dirt track guys who only charges $60 per head.

#24 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,820 Thanks
  • 2,964 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:18 PM

It took a while, but I finally got the heads back from the machine shop.  Seems that when I called them to tell them "I would be out of town for a week, don't worry if I don't answer, I'll get them when I get back"  what they heard was "Don't do anything to the heads till week after next".  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Anyway,, it has been a slow slog.  The truck is out in my driveway with no shade at all.  I did try several times to rig a shade, a tarp or canopy, but then bad weather would come and force me to take it down or see my shade destroyed by wind.  So, I've been getting out early on days I can work on it, and working till tools get too hot to touch, usually around 10:30 or so, then doing other work later in the day.  

I worried about the rust in the rear cylinder due to water sitting for several years now.

Truck 037.JPG

I ended up taking a scrubby pad and buffing it off and back to glossy.  There is some discoloration, possibly pitting left in that cylinder, but I decided to go ahead and see what's up.  It's been hard to decide how much money to spend on this truck, as I know that there is an issue with the driver's seat being damaged, but usable, and I think there may be an issue with the front suspension.  However, with not driving the truck at all the last 2-3 years, I don't know if these are the only issues, or only the tip of the iceberg.

I cut corners where I could, hopefully nothing that will come back and bite me.  Instead of spending $140 on a new radiator, I flushed mine out with a garden hose and will drive it for a while with radiator cleaner in it.  New main hoses though, new water pump, new plugs, fresh oil and filter.  I put Marvel Mystery Oil in the fresh oil, hopefully that will clean and lubricate things thoroughly.  I also pulled as much of the old gas as possible out, then put in about 4 gallons of fresh gas treated with Sea-Foam and Heet (water-removal agent).  I'll probably try to use as much of that as possible doing some idling, then some short trips in the neighborhood to see how things are going before filling up with fresh gas, again treated with Sea-Foam.

Anyway, everything came together this morning--Almost!

• Alc said thank you

#25 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,820 Thanks
  • 2,964 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 12:28 PM

I took photos as the truck came apart, and they were useful when putting it back together.  However, I missed a LARGE vacuum port on the back of the intake manifold, which used a LARGE boot to reduce immediately to a small vacuum line.  The engine would crank, run great for about one second, then begin to stumble and die.  I double checked plug wires as it sounded like a missing cylinder.  By holding the accelerator down, I could coax the engine along for a while, but it still would die quickly when I got out of the truck.  Anyway I finally tracked down the open vacuum port, and imagine my relief when putting my finger on the open port immediately produced a nicely running engine.  Then the hunt began for a missing 3/8 or so line, because that was the port size, and I couldn't see how I missed something that big.  Then I caught sight of the vacuum line harness routed nearby, and saw the LARGE adapter on the little vacuum line, and hooked it up.  Now the truck idles well, and the air conditioner works too!  It was like having an old friend back!

• Alc and sacsr have said thanks

#26 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,820 Thanks
  • 2,964 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Posted a short video on YouTube:

• sacsr said thank you

#27 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,008 Thanks
  • 8,521 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Sounds like it runs. Good job. But you still have a Furd - sorry.

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Glad to hear you got it running.

I did a similar thing to my old 72 Cutlass years ago. I bought a built up 455 for it, yanked the 350, dropped in the 455, got everything bolted up, it just backfired through carb. I racked my brain,went back over everything twice, reset timing, etc. I never did get it to run, I  had no money for several years and by the time I did, car was a rust bucket I sold for parts. After I sold it, I just stumbled on my problem, I knew they had same firing order as Chevys so I wired plugs that that way. Only I found out later, they went backwards on distributor :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

#29 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,820 Thanks
  • 2,964 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 02:22 PM

I've put about 200 miles on the truck and everything is going well so far.  North Carolina requires a yearly vehicle inspection, which this truck has not had since around 2010.  I bought a temporary tag, which let me drive it a while before taking it to be inspected, and it has now passed the inspection and has new tags.

I spent part of the morning installing new shocks, the ride was a little rough and it frequently had a vibration as if there was an un-balanced tire.  New shocks have smoothed out the ride somewhat, but I'm not sure that the vibration has gone away.  Over the coming week I'll drive it more and see how it acts.

• Alc and sacsr have said thanks

#30 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,345 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Glad you got it worked out!!