skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Weld only on a steel table !!! Wood or any other surface can catch fire... Even aluminum can be dangerous.
Here is a link to maybe the best cutting grinding wheels i know of.
http://www.walter.co...e.aspx?wId=1547
  • iZach98 said thank you

#32 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 55667
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 11:47 AM

Weld only on a steel table !!! Wood or any other surface can catch fire... Even aluminum can be dangerous.
Here is a link to maybe the best cutting grinding wheels i know of.
http://www.walter.co...e.aspx?wId=1547

What wheels do you use for
Grinding?
Cutting?
There are lots of different models, im not sure whats good and whats not?
Also would welding on a stainless steel table be bad? I will take a pic of it when i get home from school, my dad has about 2 in the garage and one in the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 11:51 AM

I forgot one, wire wheel? Im just looking for opinions for these cutters as the link you posted.

#34 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 01:15 PM

http://www.walter.co...ting/pipefitter
These work incredible for cutting.
And these for grinding.
http://www.walter.co...ss/1-4-xcavator
  • iZach98 said thank you

#35 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 01:19 PM

http://www.walter.co...ting/pipefitter
These work incredible for cutting.
And these for grinding.
http://www.walter.co...ss/1-4-xcavator

Thanks
And wire wheels?
It says "Std Pkg" does this mean it is 25 discs in a pack?

#36 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 04:39 PM

For a wire wheel, get the cup type. This works great for cleaning up rusty/painted metal and for nocking off the flux/splater.

Something like this: http://www.homedepot...910-Y/100049348

• iZach98 said thank you

#37 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 04:49 PM

I've had pretty good luck with these cut-off wheels: http://www.menards.c...866-c-10154.htm

It takes a steady hand and you need to go slow. Usually get about 3-5 feet per blade, which isn't alot, but they are cheap and reduce the amount of grinding that would otherwise be needed if using a torch.

• iZach98 said thank you

#38 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,304 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:27 PM

I think you guys are spending tons of money for this lad!  The HF with a self-darkening hood and gloves are a must.  

The best advice my dad ever told me is this:  If you are welding a good bead, it sounds like bacon frying.  

That means the wire speed and amperage is correct.  If it isn't a smooth sizzle something is amiss..  

Safety is Job #1 as you enter a world of metal work and many of the guys touched on good rules already.  

Know what you are welding and what potential dangers the material poses to your health..  Galvanized pipe welding is a definite taboo subject which needs proper protection and ventilation to keep you clear of the noxious vapors given off..

There is tons of great information our on the WWW and all you need to do is pop a top and look around for great insights from many people.  CLICK HERE

Have fun shopping and stop back by if you have any questions!   :wave:

• iZach98 said thank you

#39 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:10 PM

I have found the best prices and advice come from the ones using this stuff every day and selling it. Your local weldingsupply house can have some of the best deals out there. The cutoff wheels I showed you will cut for a very long time compaired to many others and are treasured by auto body guys far and wide as well as pipe welders. Some things are worth the extra dollar and Lincoln wire is the most value in my book.
  • TomLGT195 and iZach98 have said thanks

#40 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Would this be a good table to weld on? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402447051.665876.jpg
And im guess i shouldnt have anything else on the table while welding except for the materials im welding, ground clamp, and the welder itself?

#41 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 02:57 AM

That is almost too nice to weld on ;-) but you can :-D
  • WNYTractorTinkerer and iZach98 have said thanks

#42 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:00 AM

I think you guys are spending tons of money for this lad!  

I don't think so, we are just trying to get him to spend his money wisely in the proper places, most of us are speaking from experience.

Many of use have recommended a cheaper welder to get him started, but he would be wise to invest in other slightly higher end stuff now that will last him and then he can upgrade the welder in the future.

Good quality grinder, helmet, and wire are a must and will last, he can go low end for the welder for now and upgrade later.

I personally stay way from the wire wheels unless I am stripping rust or heavy painted surfaces. Maybe it's my technique, but I always end up with wires stuck in my pants and shirts. I use mainly flap wheels and cut off wheels.

That is a nice table, looks lke an old restaraunt prep table. That would work fine!

• Bmerf, WNYTractorTinkerer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#43 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:37 AM

I don't think so, we are just trying to get him to spend his money wisely in the proper places, most of us are speaking from experience.
Many of use have recommended a cheaper welder to get him started, but he would be wise to invest in other slightly higher end stuff now that will last him and then he can upgrade the welder in the future.

Good quality grinder, helmet, and wire are a must and will last, he can go low end for the welder for now and upgrade later.

I personally stay way from the wire wheels unless I am stripping rust or heavy painted surfaces. Maybe it's my technique, but I always end up with wires stuck in my pants and shirts. I use mainly flap wheels and cut off wheels.

That is a nice table, looks lke an old restaraunt prep table. That would work fine!

I agree with you, i dont think im going to spend to much money, just enough to get into welding.
I will have to clear one of the tables in the garage for me to weld on. My dad has a few work tables in the garage so i think he can spare one.

#44 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:40 PM

So i was looking on home depot website today and i found a Lincoln welder (flux core) and its only $269 here is a link http://m.homedepot.c...88-1/100031840/
What do y'all think? Is this a decent welder? Better than the $100 harbor freight welder i was looking at i guess.
Then i was looking at material and it seems like generally decently priced, i wasn't sure if metal was expensive but it seems pretty affordable to me.

• Sawdust said thank you

#45 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,797 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Zach, I looked at the specs. It has 4 heat settings, that's better than the HF at only 2 settings. It should give you more temperature options. It doesn't say what the duty cycle is. HF is only 20%. zach that means it can only run 20 minutes then rest for 80 min. ( simplified answer) in that price point that's about right. Now that means continuous, so if you release the trigger and take a break in between welds that counts as down time. Hope this helps. I'd do lincoln over HF IMO Tom
  • Sawdust and iZach98 have said thanks