82 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Was pretty much in your position a few months ago. My dad had the harbor freight 90 amp 110 volt and thought it produced way too much splatter. I too had about 400 bucks to spend. I bought the Hobart Handler 125 and the cheapest Hobart auto darkening helmet from Mills Fleet & farm. I could not be happier with my choice!!
The biggest difference in the Hobart and the harbor freight welders is there is no juice going to the stinger till you pull the trigger (safety) and the Hobart can be converted to gas
(from flux core) for about 100 bucks.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 09, 2014 - 04:09 PM.

• Alc, TomLGT195 and iZach98 have said thanks

#17 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 55667
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Was pretty much in your position a few months ago. My dad had the harbor freight 90 amp 110 volt and thought it produced way too much splatter. I too had about 400 bucks to spend. I bought the Hobart Handler 125 and the cheapest Hobart auto darkening helmet from Mills Fleet & farm. I could not be happier with my choice!!

Do you mean like the slag that is produced when welding? Why is this a problem for you? Im just curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:12 PM

Do you mean like the slag that is produced when welding? Why is this a problem for you? Im just curious...

The weld splatter with the harbor freight was excessive and stuck hard requiring grinding it off.
  • iZach98 said thank you

#19 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:14 PM

The weld splatter with the harbor freight was excessive and stuck hard requiring grinding it off.

Ok, thats what i was thinking you meant. I will be getting a angle grinder to so i will be able to grind it off.

#20 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:25 PM

I agree with allot of what I am reading here, I weld professionally all day.  SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES are the most important, then you will need a good long sleeve shirt 100% cotton is best and a heavy fabric is best.  Keep in mind the light from a welding arc will burn you if given the chance, ( like a sunburn only worse )  And it can also burn your eyes, never look at the arc without the hood and never have exposed skin!!!!!!!!!!!!

After that a cheap welder to start is great, I personally would get a standard welding helmet, much cheaper and allot more basic.  learn with the basics then go from there.  As for small bits of metal to work with, look for a welding shop in your area.  Go and explain to them what you are doing, odds are they will let you go thru their scrap heap for odds and ends for projects.  you may have to pay scrap value for it but it will be cheaper than new stuff.

Other than that I agree with everything I read here, BE SAFE!  it is very easy to get hurt with a welder.

Pete

Ps, if you are welding on anything with a battery or electronics on it you should always unhook the battery before welding.

• Alc, Bmerf, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#21 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:31 PM

I agree with allot of what I am reading here, I weld professionally all day. SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES are the most important, then you will need a good long sleeve shirt 100% cotton is best and a heavy fabric is best. Keep in mind the light from a welding arc will burn you if given the chance, ( like a sunburn only worse ) And it can also burn your eyes, never look at the arc without the hood and never have exposed skin!!!!!!!!!!!!
After that a cheap welder to start is great, I personally would get a standard welding helmet, much cheaper and allot more basic. learn with the basics then go from there. As for small bits of metal to work with, look for a welding shop in your area. Go and explain to them what you are doing, odds are they will let you go thru their scrap heap for odds and ends for projects. you may have to pay scrap value for it but it will be cheaper than new stuff.
Other than that I agree with everything I read here, BE SAFE! it is very easy to get hurt with a welder.
Pete

Ps, if you are welding on anything with a battery or electronics on it you should always unhook the battery before welding.

Good to know.
My friend david, he has been welding for a few years now and people all over town say he is the best welder here on the island. He is the same age as me (15) so if i have any questions i can always ask him. Right now he is building a 50 ton shop press, he is over building it as he always does. But his welds are just amazing. The stack of dimes as they say.

#22 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Yep so its a 110v, there is only one 220v in the house, thats for the stove in the kitchen.

I unplug the stove and plug in the welder all the time and it never bothers my wife a bit.....But then the stove and welder are both in the pole-barn!

Is there a welding shop/class at your high school for next semester?

• WNYTractorTinkerer and iZach98 have said thanks

#23 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 05:48 PM

A good auto darkening helmet is about $200. I agree with petrj6 stay with a standard helmet , learn good habits and wear proper clothing. Maybe if you get serious , your family could get you one for Xmas someday.
I also agree with the Hobart ,being able to convert to gas later,( good option) and not being a live tip till you pull trigger.
Best advice yet, don't rush in , do research and compare features.
  • iZach98 said thank you

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Oh I forgot like Petrj6 stated, SAFETY and long sleeves. I had to weld a couple pieces on my tractor a few weeks ago, worked inside the garage most of the day. Next day my arms looked liked they were sunburnt. Took me a couple days to figured out why I was sunburnt when I wasn't outside.....WELDER!  

I use an auto helmet I got from HB, costs about $35, I am happy with it.

I will also second the safety glasses or shield. I wear glasses so shield is my choice. I was doing some cutting on exhaust with grinder, not wearing the face shield cause it was in the way. I ended up in Urgent care the next day cause my eyes were on fire. Ended up I had embedded in my cornea, the fibers from the cutting disc in grinder. Thankfully it was not rusting as it was non metallic fibers....I uised facemask anytime I grind or cut. 

Also, get a decent grinder and get your cutting wheels at HB. They usually have a pack of 10 for $5.99 or so when you catch on sale. I also used to buy grinding stone wheels, once I used a flap wheel, I almost never use a grinding wheel. 

Sounds like you maybe good to go with a 110V welder, try to find one that is a little more amps as it will let you weld just a little thicker material. Sometimes you can heat the pieces up before you weld, helps a bit with better penetration. 

Sometimes scrap yards will sell new material. Do a google search like "metal supplier ( insert your town)"  

We have a few around my area, we also have a Metal Supermarket, it's basically a store that sells smaller pieces.

Some of the suppliers will also sell short cutoffs cut from larger jobs for a little cheaper..

• iZach98 said thank you

#25 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:07 PM

You could also go to the scrap yard for steel. The ones here will sell for few cents over the scrap price and they also sort the decent stuff. I have a Vapor brand 90 amp flux mig welder and have probably put 20 lbs of wire through it. It is comparable to the HF 90 amp unit. Looks the same except for color. I also have a HF auto darkening helmet and it works pretty well in my opinion.

Geno

• iZach98 said thank you

#26 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:12 PM

to get steel find a local guy that does scrapping or a local welding shop

sometimes you can get some steel for free or very little cost

you can use old used steel the learn how the weld

• iZach98 said thank you

#27 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 05:15 AM

If your welder is a gas type use pure argon instead of steelmix and reduce spatter big time... And it produces a stronger weld too
If your running a gas less rig then use a gas less flux core wire from Lincoln !!! Nothing else will compair. Home Depot sells it too. Wires from Hobart are junk in comparrison to Lincoln ( sorry Hobart/Miller guys , of which I am, but they do make a killer flux core)
You should see if he can give you a hands on lesson or two , this will help cut back on making scrap ...as he can point out your issues.
Good luck and be safe!!!!
  • TomLGT195 and iZach98 have said thanks

#28 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 09:17 AM

These guys know a whole lot more about welding then I do, so listen to them.  I will say this, if you are on a limited budget then HF can be your friend.  Sign up to get their emails and their monthly circular and look in different publications for their ad's.  When you are ready to get a tool check all the above for the item you want on Sale.  A lot of times I will find an item in an ad cheaper then it is in their circular.  Some of HF's tools are junk, but the good thing is they will take it back you just need to check it out as soon as you get home, but some are fairly decent and can help you get started.  Once your budget improves then you can replace the HF tools that break or wear out with better quality items.  Just don't equate higher priced with better quality.  Some higher priced tools still come from China and are junk as well.

• iZach98 said thank you

#29 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thanks all. :) i would have never thought about the whole sunburn from welding. Good thing i checked in here.
So why some of you are saying is to get a standard helmet instead of the auto darken? I could see if i do this then get an auto darken later i can appreciate it more cause i would be starting out with the basics then upgrading.

I will be getting only the welder and helmet from harbor freight. All other metal tools will be from home depot or sears (craftsman tools are great)
I will be getting this grinder: http://www.craftsman...=1&blockType=G1
I cant seem to find grinding or cutting wheels for this grinder on craftsman's website. I'm sure i can find them on the home depot website. And for materials, i recently found a piece of angle iron/steel (not sure), it was part of a bed frame, my parents had laying around and didn't need it for anything so they were gonna throw it away. I said no i'll use it to build something. So now i got a piece of steel that has no rust just black paint on it.
So in the garage my dad has a huge table all set up but its a wooden top, kinda like a cork type material. Im
Just wondering if that will catch fire while welding on it?

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#30 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 10:45 AM

I started with a standard helmet, but had a hard time being able to keep my gun in place and doing thet head flip thing and starting weld. Once I got an auto darkening helmet, I did so much better. I am very near sighted too so I have to get pretty close even with glasses to see what I am doing, atuo helmet just made it easier.

You can get all your grinding/cutoff wheels/stones/flap wheels about anywhere.....Lowe's, Home Dropout, farm store, even Walmart.

I would be careful about what you weld on and near. I've caught myself starting to weld and turn around and there is a gas can sitting there or I started welding over my cardboard I lay under the cars. Always take a second look or a couple seconds of thought when you weld, cut, etc.

If your dad does any staining/varnish/eurathane work make sure those cans are not around. Many are not "flammable" like gas, but many are combustable and will catch fire if they get a hot enough ignition source  i.e. welding splatter or grinding sparks.

Old bed framing makes some great fabbing material, it's actually pretty stout stuff. Just make sure you grind off the paint before you weld.

Speaking of that...be very careful wedling anything galvanized. It will produce noxious gases that are poisonous and can build up in you body and can cause major health issues. You can grind it all off and then weld, just make sure it's all cleaned off and a good fan blowing away any fumes is good also.

• TomLGT195 and iZach98 have said thanks