• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:32 PM

I am considering purchasing a small tractor with FEL.  My budget is about 5k.  Which model would you all recommend?  John Deere, Kubota, Case...?  I know when purchasing used everything is about condition but is there a model that is more reliable or useful? 

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 06:26 AM

At 5K you will be looking at older models. There are a lot of alternatives out there. Member Utah Smitty recently went through a similar search. If you contact him he may have some advice for you. 

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,517 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 06:59 AM

My advice is worry way less about exact brand and model and get the best tractor, condition wise, for your money.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 07:16 AM

My advice is worry way less about exact brand and model and get the best tractor, condition wise, for your money.

I agree

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Your other choice would be to put a loader on your favorite GT. You may be able to pickup a loader by itself or buy a dead GT with FEL and transfer it. During the winter the Surplus Center had nice Massey Loader Frames for $500 but they seem to be sold out. Good Luck, Rick

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:08 AM

Are you up for a project, or want a turn key machine? $5k will go a long way with some patience and persistence shopping. You will quickly understand how things are priced in your area and I would advise being open to a day trip for a good deal. My money always goes further, elsewhere, it seems. =]

You are about to have bunches of fun! The hunt can be the best part!

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:03 AM

2 basic questions, what do you want to do with it, what are your abilities?  You could get an 8n w/loader for 2500 but you'd need a place to keep it and abilities to work on old farm equipment.  8n can run a decent bush hog, bottom plow, tiller, auger, pump, etc off the back implements pretty cheap.

If you don't need that much you could get a gt-size loader, Case would probably be the strongest easiest to find, can lift 600# 6' high stock, also cost about 2500.  But you'd need to learn about high pressure hydraulics, they are getting older, tend to leak, wear out pumps, etc. 

Or build your own out of a super GT but by the time you're done could have had a Case with ps.

GTs have cat 0 hitch can't run as much big stuff off the back and implements can cost.

Or could get something in between, like older jap tractor but parts hard to find.

Do you need diesel or 4x4

All depends what you want to do with it

• Talntedmrgreen, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Lot of great advice so far, what's the main use going to be? Dictates size.
What are your abilities?
Can u fabricate / modify one or are you looking for a turnkey?
I am building an FEL on a Ford LGT 195. It's a johnson originally made for a Bolens ,but I modified ( widened) it to fit. Original cost of complete loader was $1100 on a$1000 tractor. Under your budget but as stated earlier. Only offers cat 0 3pt and no PTO capable of running bigger attachments.
Here's a link to that project. http://gardentractor...l-on-my-lgt195/
I also made my own York rake as they are $$. http://gardentractor...-york-rake-3pt/
Hope this helps you with your decision , Tom

#9 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well, I would like a small garden tractor like a john deere 320 or 420, Power King 2414 or case 646.  i need it to do small tasks around the house.  i presently have a case 190 with FEL. It runs good.  I love the Case 190 but would like something more beefy.  My present tractor attached.  The case 190 has a new hydraulic pump, hydraulic motor, oil and carb rebuild.  It also has had the rear axel replaced. Also the front end has been up graded to lug nut wheels.  Quite a solid machine with some original paint on tin.

If anyone want to trade me let me know.  I would really like a good working Power King 2414 with FEL. I can not deliver or pick up.  I have no truck.  Just throwing it out there...

Attached Thumbnails

• case backyard 2.jpg
  • case backyard 3.jpg
  • case backyard 1.jpg

Edited by tom tractor, June 09, 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Nice tractor you have there.
  • tom tractor said thank you

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 12:34 AM

i presently have a case 190 with FEL.  If anyone want to trade me let me know.  I would really like a good working Power King 2414 with FEL. I can not deliver or pick up.  I have no truck. 

googled PK 2414 saw a guy on another site from MA had pics of a 2414 w/loader he had on a trailer, this is his sig may be of interest to you

1969 Economy FEL dual tranny w weights n chains
1980 Power King 2414 - Tow rig

email - zamaro at comcast dot net
BUY-SELL-TRADE MA RI CT NH ME VT
Have truck will travel.

Also Uhaul has aluminum trailer w/ramp you can rent for $25/day will haul a GT w/loader just need a tow hitch.  Being able to pick up can help sometimes.  good luck with your search

#12 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:11 AM

Is there any way of sending me contact info or a link. That sounds very promising. Thanks

#13 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 12:09 PM

His email is in the sig i posted above.  Also if you google "Power King 2414" and look at the images for one w/fel you can follow the pic to the thread & site i mentioned above.  I do not like linking to other forums as this one is the best and besides it's rude to the owners imo.  thank you

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#14 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 02:35 PM

ok.  Thanks.  I sent him a message.  I appreciate it.