• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 12:17 PM

The oil was added to the cylinder about 2 hours before I did any real turning over of the engine. Did turn it by hand a few times while the plug was out just to get the cylinder wall and the valves coated so it wouldn't be a dry start. Motor sat for about 5 years.

Anyways, here we are, the next day. Took a gamble. Put gas in the tank, opened the shutoff, gave it time to feed fuel to the carb. Turned the key and let it crank a few rotations. paused, did it again, paused, did it again and it fired up. I let it idle for a bit to warm up and smoothed off the choke.

It ran for about 90 seconds and then stopped with a screech sound. I turned the motor by hand to see if it locked up, but, it didn't. It turns okay by hand. So, I try again. It started and ran for about a minute and then stopped with a screech, again.

I am suspecting the rings are bad.

Thoughts?

And here are pics of it now.

0607141336-00.jpg

Motor set in place and waiting for carb, fuel tank and starter, other little details.

0607141336-00.jpg 0609141122-00.jpg

0609141123-01.jpg 0609141124-00.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 0609141123-00.jpg

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Sounds to me like this engine may be in the process of seizing.

If the rod is just lightly scored or under tolerance the engine will not lock up, but tighten up enough to make the engine stop. If the starter is ruled out then you have problems internally, I suspect the crank/connecting rod. A bad set of rings does not make a screeching sound.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#18 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:25 PM

24/1 mix ratio 2stroke mix + a halfcup 30wt / gal , drain all the gas and replace with mix and try it again, it will smoke the neighbors out but lubes the top end, i had to do this with mine as the oil control ring was dry and the top end was not recieving enough lube for the cylinder and valves , now it runs good but has a vapor lock issue in the fuel system so when it gets hot after a while the overheated fuel vaporises and forces the gas back to the tank and it dies but let it cool for 5 min and she will fire right up and run fine not trying to confuse you with this but mine made the same type of noise and i did the mix trick for 2-3 tanks and no more lockup hope it works for you

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#19 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 07:36 PM

What did the old oil look like when you drained it?

Screeching to a stop is not a good sign. Like Brian said, that's usually indicative of a bottom end problem, not top.

Good luck, hopefully it's something simple.

What was wrong with the original engine on your 1053?

Bob
  • Bolens 1000 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#20 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:28 PM

What did the old oil look like when you drained it?

Screeching to a stop is not a good sign. Like Brian said, that's usually indicative of a bottom end problem, not top.

Good luck, hopefully it's something simple.

What was wrong with the original engine on your 1053?

Bob

The old oil was dirty, dark, but flowed ok. I used a fine mesh screen when draining to look for metal traces but found none. I also did a diesel bath of the inside crankcase by pouring diesel fuel in through the oil tube, sloshed the motor around, turned the crankshaft for a bit with another running motor and belt. Then drained it, allowed it to air out overnight before putting in the oil drain plug and mounting the motor.

The old motor had a brass nipple coming out from the oil drain to an elbow and then a cap. The nipple cracked right at the engine block. I lost all the oil overnight and when I fired it up the next day it only lasted a minute. Shattered the piston rod and aluminized the crank.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#21 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Sounds to me like this engine may be in the process of seizing.

If the rod is just lightly scored or under tolerance the engine will not lock up, but tighten up enough to make the engine stop. If the starter is ruled out then you have problems internally, I suspect the crank/connecting rod. A bad set of rings does not make a screeching sound.

I took a gamble when I saw this 1050 w/deck and snowthrower. i asked the guy many questions about the motor. I won't say I lost on the deal. The snowthrower alone was worth the $100 I gave for it all.

I'll tear it down in the next couple of days to see what I'm dealing with. Thanks to everyone for all of your input and help. You Bolens people are some real buds that are good to know.

#22 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Keep us posted, Let me know if you need any Wisconsin parts