Mowing With My Cub 129

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Clubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58034
  • 23 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 08:41 AM

What a pleasure it is to mow the yard now. This tractor has all the power I will ever need. I am surprised at how fast this tractor is. My grass was a little wet after the rain however, I had to mow it it was getting pretty long. The cub did not miss a beat, what a pleasure mowing.

I should have bought one of these years ago.

• Gtractor and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,392 Thanks
  • 3,812 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:31 AM

Pretty much the way I felt when I mowed with my 109.  It was my favorite mower/tractor ever.  With about a days worth of maintenance and small repairs it'd be up and ready to go for several more years.

I can find faults in about any brand of mower from not enough leg room [Case 400 series] to sitting too high and feels like sitting on an over-inflated basketball [Sears SS/ST] to freewheeling going downhill [Case 400 series] to not nearly enough choice of speeds [Gravely 400 series]  to poor quality of cut from rear discharge decks [Wheel Horse] to grinding gears and extremely slow to shift [Power King] to a real good tractor with a poor deck [Bolens tube frame].

Cadet had it all figured out.

My dad swears there has never been a mower built thats as "perfect" as a Deere 318 but I've never mowed with a Deere so i can't say.  

Dad has a 430 Deere diesel and he'd rather use one of his 318s. 

Edited by Gtractor, June 08, 2014 - 10:44 AM.

• superaben said thank you

#3 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:59 AM

I like my JD 140H3 for mowing especially after putting the B&S 16 hp Vanguard twin in it since it reduced the noise and vibration and increased the fuel economy BUT the JD 318 with power steering would probably be easier to maneuver than the "Armstrong" steering on the 140.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Cub made my favorite cut for a gear drive, but my favorite I've mowed with as far as antique riding tractors go is a Simplicity Sunstar for a hydro (legendary Simplicity striping and cut). 

Ben W.

• Gtractor said thank you

#5 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:19 AM

the 129 is a neat mowing machine!!

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,342 Thanks
  • 4,934 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:04 PM

My favorite older Cub without a doubt is the 129. The only fault worth mentioning and it drives me nuts, is the hydro linkage when it starts to wear. Then trying to maintain a constant speed is a chore. Finally rebuilt the linkage on the 129 with a roto-tiller and now all is well again.

Enjoy your 129.

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:26 PM

I enjoy mowing with any cub from the original till the last models.cub made before selling out to mtd....After that it's not so good

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,341 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:06 PM

I enjoy mowing with any cub from the original till the last models.cub made before selling out to mtd....After that it's not so good

They were still good machines up to and maybe even including the Cyclops models.  After that is when they really turned downhill for me.  Gotta remember all them sweet diesels were made by CCC after MTD took over and they are some sweet machines.