First of May I dug out my Case 446 to get it ready to mow around the house with. Got it feeding fuel pretty easily [ the reason the previous two owners gave up on it] by fixing some issues the previous owners had overlooked. Mowed with it for a little while and decided I'd rather push a push mower around with no wheels than deal with that crazy "Hydraulic Drive", a very poor setup in my opinion. Yes my place is on a hill and no it does not have a holding valve.
So I dig out the Gravely 424. I always liked mowing with it even though its very limited on ground speed. I'm only using it as a trim mower anyhow. The farm tractor and 72 inch finish mower do the majority of mowing.
The Gravely has a rear tire that sat flat long enough it did bad things to the spot where the tire was folded over almost double. I figured it was a large hole by the time it took to go flat and I've always had trouble with Slime tire sealer leaking out of the larger holes. Now I know Slime is not designed to seal large holes but I get to thinkin' I'm going to thicken up this stuff before I put it in the tire. Mom always said to thicken up pie filling you add more flour until you attain the desired consistancy. I only had about 10 ounces of Slime left in the bottle so I go in the kitchen and put 5 heaping tablespoons of flour in the jug. Shake it up real good - break down one side of the tire and pour in.
My idea was grand but I used too much flour and the Slime wouldn't roll around in the tire enough to find the hole. If I had it to do over I'd just use 2-3 tablespoons of flour. I believe that'd be perfect for the 10 ounces I had. SO after mowing for a while and nearly constant re-air-ing up that tire I went in the shop, found my garden hose to valve stem adaptor, and shot just a little water in the tire to re-liquify the Slime. That was last weekend and the tire has stayed up since.
Come to find out the tire was also leaking around the bead and the valve core was leaking as well. The hole I was trying to seal wasn't even large so once the other leaks were repaired it held air longer.
Long story short - my experiment worked, I just used too much flour.
I will definately try this again next time I come across a tire that tire sealer runs out of - BUT I will wait to see if the sealer leaks out before I alter its consistancy........
Yes I know the small amount of water inside the tire will contribute to rust.
But, I'm too cheap to buy a tube if I don't just have to!
Edited by Gtractor, June 07, 2014 - 11:43 PM.