Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 11:24 PM

First of May I dug out my Case 446 to get it ready to mow around the house with.  Got it feeding fuel pretty easily [ the reason the previous two owners gave up on it] by fixing some issues the previous owners had overlooked. Mowed with it for a little while and decided I'd rather push a push mower around with no wheels than deal with that crazy "Hydraulic Drive", a very poor setup in my opinion.  Yes my place is on a hill and no it does not have a holding valve. 

So I dig out the Gravely 424.  I always liked mowing with it even though its very limited on ground speed.  I'm only using it as a trim mower anyhow.  The farm tractor and 72 inch finish mower do the majority of mowing. 

The Gravely has a rear tire that sat flat long enough it did bad things to the spot where the tire was folded over almost double.  I figured it was a large hole by the time it took to go flat and I've always had trouble with Slime tire sealer leaking out of the larger holes.  Now I know Slime is not designed to seal large holes but I get to thinkin' I'm going to thicken up this stuff before I put it in the tire.  Mom always said to thicken up pie filling you add more flour until you attain the desired consistancy.  I only had about 10 ounces of Slime left in the bottle so I go in the kitchen and put 5 heaping tablespoons of flour in the jug. Shake it up real good - break down one side of the tire and pour in.

My idea was grand but I used too much flour and the Slime wouldn't roll around in the tire enough to find the hole.  If I had it to do over I'd just use 2-3 tablespoons of flour.  I believe that'd be perfect for the 10 ounces I had.  SO after mowing for a while and nearly constant re-air-ing up that tire I went in the shop, found my garden hose to valve stem adaptor, and shot just a little water in the tire to re-liquify the Slime.  That was last weekend and the tire has stayed up since.

Come to find out the tire was also leaking around the bead and the valve core was leaking as well. The hole I was trying to seal wasn't even large so once the other leaks were repaired it held air longer.

Long story short - my experiment worked, I just used too much flour.

I will definately try this again next time I come across a tire that tire sealer runs out of - BUT I will wait to see if the sealer leaks out before I alter its consistancy........  

Yes I know the small amount of water inside the tire will contribute to rust.

But,  I'm too cheap to buy a tube if I don't just have to!   :deadhorse:

Edited by Gtractor, June 07, 2014 - 11:43 PM.

• limebuzz, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:18 AM

Never used a tire sealer but I have a leaking front on one of my GTs and I'm tempted. 

• trowel said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:43 AM

I've used alot of Slime. To avoid gumming up the valve I take the wheel off the tractor and mount it on my tire changer. My HF changer is mounted with the shaft horizontal. I break the bead and then blow out the tire with compressed air. I clean the bead and check the valve stem. When everything looks good, I pump Slime into the tire. I use about 15 pumps for a rear 12" tire. I then inflate the tire and take it off the changer. I move the tire around to coat the entire inner surface of the tire and bead. It has worked well for many tires for me except when the sidewall gave out. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 08, 2014 - 05:44 AM.

• Gtractor, JDBrian, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:59 AM

Yeah, im feeling it too, the new tires i just had mounted for me last month, one is already flat, ...bugger !!

• Gtractor, JDBrian and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:02 AM

Makes sense to thicken the slime with a filler, but using food might

attract critters like ants and racoons. You might have to set some

traps around your tires now Kris. :smilewink:

Maybe a filler like Quickcrete would work too.

I have real good luck using Slime too. I always take the tire off the machine

and roll it and flip it many several times to get the Slime in to the bead.

• Gtractor, JDBrian, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I use liquid laundry Starch. I pull valve core, use a small hose and put in tire, kind of shot in the dark on how much. If it's a tread leak, very lite, if it's more like a bead leak, then enough to cover up over the bead. You can get 64 oz bottle at store for $3-4. I have a couple of tires on my craftsman LT, have held for almost 3 yrs. 

• Gtractor, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 09:12 AM

is "slime" a good brand? I have a couple slow leaks to fix  thnx Tom

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I get along pretty well with Slime.  If its a bigger hole the Slime tends to run out at higher speeds. I have a 4 wheeler that had a big [realitively] hole and every time I drove it, Slime was flying in the air and depositing itself all over me.  Also I have a seldom used pickup that had a nail hole and the tire would sling out the Slime at hwy. speeds.  I had a nice ring of green slime in the fenderwell.  Finally changed out that tire but this flour trick would have worked in both cases.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:19 AM

You guys and your slime and tire patch crap, wake up!  Do it right, take off tire and buy new, and while it is off, sand or blast the wheel and paint it and be like new again!  Tire shop guys HATE people that use slime and fix a flat stuff, is messy, sticky and they have to clean it up when changing, plus some can be exposive if not careful. Quit being cheap and spend money on the tires or tubes, not the "fix-all" products that only work temp and make new problems later.  Have me FLAME suit on! :shoot2: :deadhorse: :( :shoot3:

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:31 AM

You guys and your slime and tire patch crap, wake up!  Do it right, take off tire and buy new, and while it is off, sand or blast the wheel and paint it and be like new again!  Tire shop guys HATE people that use slime and fix a flat stuff, is messy, sticky and they have to clean it up when changing, plus some can be exposive if not careful. Quit being cheap and spend money on the tires or tubes, not the "fix-all" products that only work temp and make new problems later.  Have me FLAME suit on! :shoot2: :deadhorse: :( :shoot3:

I couldn't agree more with not using Slime.  I can buy tubes from my tire and tube supplier for about the same price I have to pay for enough Slime to meet their recommended amount.  If I see evidence of Slime or any other Fix-a-Flat material in a customers tire the cost to repair goes way up.

I do however patch tires using a patch similar to the ones in the photo.  It is a combination of a plug and a patch and I have had very good luck with them.  I use a pneumatic "scuffer" on the inside of the tire to bring up new rubber and a good glue (Camel brand) as are the plug/patch.

Attached Thumbnails

• $T2eC16VHJGYE9nooiLK+BQUlyRvG4Q~~60_12.JPG

Edited by GTTinkerer, June 08, 2014 - 11:43 AM.

• Gtractor, limebuzz, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:50 AM

I used slime a couple of times when it first came out and it did nothing but create a mess.  IMO non of their products work very well.  I had one of their 12v tire pumps and it didn't do anything, the HF ones work a heck of a lot better.  If the leak is coming from the bead I will use some bead sealer and if it is a puncture then a patch and tube go in.

#12 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 01:25 PM

But I like fix-all products! 

I fully understand about the mess inside the tires as I fix all my tires myself from lawn tires to car and pickup tires and even farm tractor tires.  If this repair didn't work, I'd scrape out the goo and put a new tube in.   I just look for the easiest/quickest way to get a satisfactory job done.  I recieved a 99% disability rating from my current employers doctor during my pre-employment physical when I started there 5 years ago.  Breaking down the bead gets harder every year so if I can avoid that I'm doing good.   

In the last decade I've wrenched my back, had a heart attack and had cancer. 

I agree that a new tube is pretty much the same cost as sealer,  but I'm gonna take the easy road whenever I can.  :wave:

Edited by Gtractor, June 08, 2014 - 01:26 PM.

• GTTinkerer and HDWildBill have said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:09 AM

If it's one of my GT's, I will pop tires off, clean rims and fix properly or tube it, but on a Cheapo throw away LT, I am not going to waste my time and money on worrying about "doing it right" per say. I can fix a leaky tire in about 5-10 min's and it costs me $3 for the liquid starch, I will do it. The tires on my LT have stayed up for almost 3 yrs now with the starch. If they won't hold air, I got a guy who parts 40-50 box store LT's at a time, I will just go buy some different ones.

#14 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:49 AM

I hated slimed and fix-a-flatted tires when I worked in a garage.  We charged extra to repair them.  

I'll either plug/patch the tire, put a tube in, or change the tire before I'll put any of that stuff in them.

#15 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:52 AM

:ditto: