#1 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 07, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Ok, I was mowing with my HT23, I mowed for about 15 minutes, then the engine started missing out and then quit.

I pushed it to the shop to look at it, the engine was really hot, the intake manifold was to hot to touch, I cranked over the engine and it would not start. Still had good spark, spayed a little carb cleaner in the carb to see if it would fire, as soon as the carb cleaner hit inside the carb it sizzled and the cleaner boiled till evaporated.

I checked the fan blades and they are all there in good shape. I took the air compressor I blow out all the fins on the engine and then cleaned everything else on the engine.

I had this happen another time with a MTD Cub Cadet I ended up taking off the hood and it ran great.
So after sitting for about 30 minutes I took the hood off, It fired right up and then I mowed for about 45 minutes till I was done mowing.

Any ideas on what causes the engine to get hot?
It is full of oil and the oil presser was good.

Thanks for any info

#2 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 02:42 AM

Not knowing whether a tuneup was done at the start of the season or not, I would look for these things.

1) Check that your spark plugs are correct. Champion H10C, RH10C. NGK, lately, has been known not to perform properly.

2) Has the motor reached 500 hours of service? CYLINDER HEAD SERVICE
After each 500 hours of operation, the cylinderheads should be taken off the engine and serviced.
Remove carbon deposits from combustion chamber in head. Scrape and remove carbon with a sharp
piece of wood--wood or s i m i l a r material is suggested to avoid scratching aluminum surfaces of head.
Always use new cylinder head gaskets, make sure head bolts are tightened in the proper sequence and
to the torque value stated in the Specification Section. Before reinstalling the serviced heads, check
and adjust valve-tappet clearance per the following instructions.

3) Valves adjusted?  After each 500 hours, check clearance between the valve stems and tappets. The engine must be
stopped and cooled to normal ambient temperatures to accurately gauge and adjust valve clearances to spec.

4) Crankcase breather system malfunction. The breather functions as a one-way valve to allow p r e s s u r e to be expelled from the crankcase and also to block or prevent air from being drawn hack into the crankcase. A proper functioning
breather system thus helps maintain a slight vacuum within the crankcase.

5) Be sure that ALL tins are in place for proper air cooling of the engine.

Hope this helps.

• Alc, sacsr, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Oh i understand hot. My 1886 is the same way, I think i lost 3 finger prints by touching the top shield.

• BTS and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Make sure the point gap is set to the proper 0.020". As the points wear, the gap is reduced. Improper gap results in improper timing, and the engine WILL run hot.

• Alc, BTS and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for everyone's help and info.

I'll start simple with the gap on the points and the crank case vent.

Anyone know where the crank case vent is located and what is the best way to clean it???

This GT has been sitting for many years, I just bought it and got it running this spring, this was the first time I have really mowed with it.

I changed the oil, and put in new spark plugs (should be the correct plugs according to the book)

But I have not pulled the heads and done any cleaning like that.

I have no idea when the last time the engine was cleaned/serviced.

Thanks again

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#6 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 02:43 PM

What model Kohler engine is that, again? You should find the service manual download in the download section n this forum.

• BTS said thank you

#7 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 04:47 PM

I believe it is a Kohler K582

I'll look and see what I can find

Thanks

#8 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 06:45 PM

Basically any engine that is running lean will run hot. Just double check the carb adjustment. Timing will also cause overheating. The timing on these is just like the old distributor timing. You can find the procedure in the k482 guide. You need to time by moving the governor left/right with a timing light. I hope this helps.

• BTS said thank you

#9 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted June 13, 2014 - 03:16 PM

The crankcase vent is through the back of the governor and the tube connects to the carb at the elbow a just below the air cleaner

• BTS said thank you

#10 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 07:33 AM

Basically any engine that is running lean will run hot. Just double check the carb adjustment. Timing will also cause overheating. The timing on these is just like the old distributor timing. You can find the procedure in the k482 guide. You need to time by moving the governor left/right with a timing light. I hope this helps.

The crankcase vent is through the back of the governor and the tube connects to the carb at the elbow a just below the air cleaner

Thank you for all the info