348 replies to this topic

#61 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 04:37 PM

Well, all the attention was on the motor but none on the console.  I decided to pull it and also remove the steering column and evaluate it to do a possible rebuild on it as well.

IMG_6448-L.jpg

Plus you can see some of the layout of new hardware.

IMG_6447-L.jpg

I decided to tack weld the little 5" fan I picked up off ebay for some additional air flow/movement

IMG_6450-L.jpg

Then attached the old hydro fan to the drive.  Im not sure why they put one on since there are no raised fins, surface area.

IMG_6451-L.jpg

#62 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 04:47 PM

Im in the "not sure" phase of this project.  Im just deciding if I want to tap into the hydraulics and put two sets of rear hydro lines.  It will add some time as well as $dinero$  If I do, I have plenty of steel line in the shop, but no couplings or tees to tap off.  I can see the pros but im just wanting to get this done, but its RIGHT THERE, ready :(

Do I also replace the faucet fuel pump?

Do I install a cartrige(screw on) fuel filter?

Do I buy a EGT guage?

Do I sandblast the fender pan and paint it as well as the tower and side panels?

Edited by Pager450n, August 16, 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#63 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 05:27 PM

If ya have to stop & question yourself.....then do it all!  No looking back with regrets that way.

• Pager450n and Tim Bergfeld have said thanks

#64 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 05:37 PM

If ya have to stop & question yourself.....then do it all!  No looking back with regrets that way.

Im not sure if that will go well with mama.  She has questioned if I am still loyal to her or not after all the time I have been spending on this tractor over the past few months :rolling:

#65 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 07:31 PM

I'm with Daniel on this one. Do you want to have to take it apart and do it again so it is the way you wanted? After putting all this work into it and getting it to look as nice as it does, why start cutting corners at this point. Just bite the bullet now and be glad you did later.  :thumbs:

Edited by Cvans, August 16, 2014 - 09:54 PM.

• olcowhand and Pager450n have said thanks

#66 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Im in the "not sure" phase of this project.  Im just deciding if I want to tap into the hydraulics and put two sets of rear hydro lines.  It will add some time as well as $dinero$  If I do, I have plenty of steel line in the shop, but no couplings or tees to tap off.  I can see the pros but im just wanting to get this done, but its RIGHT THERE, ready :(

Do I also replace the faucet fuel pump?
Do I install a cartrige(screw on) fuel filter?
Do I buy a EGT guage?

Do I sandblast the fender pan and paint it as well as the tower and side panels?

I'dvinstall the engine-related parts now for sure--helps ensure reliability. JD fender pans are easy to remove, so you could hold off on the hydraulics and painting until later.

so, have you blown black smoke with your tractor since you installed the engine?

Smitty
  • Pager450n said thank you

#67 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 03:43 PM

It's looking great, Ryan... I really want to see it burning coal... might help out in the domestic politics too if you're able to have it working in the next week or so...

Even so, as I said, I'd install the engine related items now, especially with the dash off.  The hydraulics can be installed later without much more trouble than now since it's easy to remove the fender pan to get at them...

MTBW

Smitty

#68 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 10:12 PM

It's looking great, Ryan... I really want to see it burning coal... might help out in the domestic politics too if you're able to have it working in the next week or so...

Even so, as I said, I'd install the engine related items now, especially with the dash off.  The hydraulics can be installed later without much more trouble than now since it's easy to remove the fender pan to get at them...

MTBW

Smitty

That's the thing Smitty, once. I started this, I figured id run into an additional expense or two. Kinda like my last year basement flood. Half was ruined, the other was ok, but I ended up gutting the whole basement.

So, I'm taking the dash and fender to a local sandblasted to have him do it for me ASAP. I will hold off on the hydraulics, and pump replacement.

Wish me luck! Hope to have it running by next tues

#69 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'm with Daniel on this one. Do you want to have to take it apart and do it again so it is the way you wanted? After putting all this work into it and getting it to look as nice as it does, why start cutting corners at this point. Just bite the bullet now and be glad you did later.  :thumbs:

Will do, thanks cvans! I'm sandblasting all tins tomorrow and might look into powder coating
  • Cvans said thank you

#70 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 05:30 PM

You wont need a EGT gauge just for operating it. Now if your pulling and what not its a good way to keep an eye on it but it shouldn't go past id say 800 degrees? 1000 at the top most. Now if your boosting it then yes it will raise it as well but for mowing grass and what not your safe to run without it.

• Pager450n said thank you

#71 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 11:28 PM

You wont need a EGT gauge just for operating it. Now if your pulling and what not its a good way to keep an eye on it but it shouldn't go past id say 800 degrees? 1000 at the top most. Now if your boosting it then yes it will raise it as well but for mowing grass and what not your safe to run without it.

I don't plan to pull with this other than a few trailers. But,.......if the shoe fits, I mean turbo, I will play with the boost some day. Maybe be around 5 psi or so.

#72 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 05:08 PM

So paint was flying this past few days.  First I cleaned the engine and then layed down some engine enamel

IMG_5080-M.jpg

IMG_6498-M.jpg

Then I had a a guy sandblast for me, just didnt have the time.  He did a great job and looked great.  I didnt have a lot of pitting,nor bent tin.

IMG_6499-M.jpg

threw on some self etching and then some JD green

IMG_6506-M.jpg

IMG_6505-M.jpg

I need to work a little on the fiberglass hood since it has a broken mount.  Plus I need to find someone who will make me some decals and make it a "400TD"

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#73 spartacus OFFLINE  

spartacus
  • Member No: 61691
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hello Smitty and JD400 advocates!  Just became a member as I have a similar conversion I did to my JD400.  Although its not Smitty's turbo diesel, i replaced the Kohler K532 with a Kubota D722(20Hp) and used many spare 430 parts(motor mounts, air filter and kubota g1900 motor parts).

The machine is awesome, cuts through 6 inches of grass like butter.  So I can imagine what this beast using the L3E will be like!!!

I used a Honda civic radiator(aftermarket 3 core), electric fan, Electric PTo clutch from a large husquavarna diesel mower($450)!!!, straight same gas tank but changed the lines and put venting and a fuel return on it using the JD430 gas tank vent and return setup. Let me know if you have any questions . I wish I had your skils with lathe and metal as I did very little welding and used kubota pulleys and the electric pto. Total costs as about $2000. bought the tractor for $450

Let us know how fast you can cut through 6 inches of grass!! It will be  a piece of cake! :thumbs:

• Alc and Pager450n have said thanks

#74 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hello Smitty and JD400 advocates!  Just became a member as I have a similar conversion I did to my JD400.  Although its not Smitty's turbo diesel, i replaced the Kohler K532 with a Kubota D722(20Hp) and used many spare 430 parts(motor mounts, air filter and kubota g1900 motor parts).
The machine is awesome, cuts through 6 inches of grass like butter.  So I can imagine what this beast using the L3E will be like!!!
I used a Honda civic radiator(aftermarket 3 core), electric fan, Electric PTo clutch from a large husquavarna diesel mower($450)!!!, straight same gas tank but changed the lines and put venting and a fuel return on it using the JD430 gas tank vent and return setup. Let me know if you have any questions . I wish I had your skils with lathe and metal as I did very little welding and used kubota pulleys and the electric pto. Total costs as about $2000. bought the tractor for $450
Let us know how fast you can cut through 6 inches of grass!! It will be  a piece of cake! :thumbs:

Will do, Smitty helped me out a lot.
I have also been using some parts off 430, 425 and motor mounts off a Jd rear engine model, can't think of it. I first started this repower with the intent to use a d1105 out of a Turfcat I had, but found my l3e. I'm way excited to find out how well it pulls. My only concern is that the engine to the tranny has been upgraded. I'd like to work on hone rear end to beef it up, but money talks and so does time.

So, with your return fuel line, did your kubota have a return loop for the fuel? I have one on the l3e, but closed it, so I have no return line other than it returning to the fuel rail.

#75 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:49 AM

[/quote]

I need to work a little on the fiberglass hood since it has a broken mount.  Plus I need to find someone who will make me some decals and make it a "400TD"[/quote]

Schmidt Sign in Salt Lake on 13th S & 300 W does vinyl graphics--make up your graphic in a .jpg, etc and take it to them...they download it and can size it how you want.

Smitty